Medical alert system

David1961

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have a question about these medical alert systems that call an ambulance if you push a button. Suppose someone who lives alone falls and pushes their button and when the ambulance arrives, the doors are locked and they either don't have an emergency contact or cannot reach them. Do they break in the house? My mother has one of these devices and I have always wondered this. Who would I call to find out? The police? Has anyone had any experiences with this or have any suggestions? This is something I have always wanted to look into more, but just have not yet.

The customer identifies a trusted contact, usually a neighbour, who is a key holder.

Try a knox-box. This is a secure box the the police, fire, etc have key for, and you put a house key in this box on the residence. Install properly, this authorities are made aware of its presence. This is what is used on commercial building too to allow emergency access. We did this with my mother in law.

The company that provides my mother's unit recommends having a combination lock key box that the EMTs can access. They will give the combination only to the EMTs responding. They said if I ever call them saying I forgot the combination, they would refuse to give it to me. (My mother lives with me)

Lacking any other way of entry if the EMS crew can look in the window and see someone lying on the floor they will force entry. If they cannot see anything amiss through windows then generally they will not force entry but this can vary from one agency/jurisdiction to the next. You can see the potential for "pranksters" to use EMS to do damage to someone's house so that's why they may not force entry. If it is an apartment/condo they will get a key from the property manager.

A lock box as the others have described greatly simplifies things.

I googled it and one of the top hits on google was this:
A Key Lockbox Alongside Personal Emergency Response Systems?

It describes a key lockbox with a combination. It is placed where the EMTs or police can access it and the contractor that you employee for the alert service can give them the combination.

This is exactly what my Dad had in England. In fact when he did collapse and pressed his emergency button the company called out the ER team, gave them the passcode to the lockbox, and also called my 2 sisters at work, who then went straight to the hospital, arriving after him at the ER.

Please check the preferred method by contacting the local Fire, EMS and police. From my area, the knox-box is preferred. I have added a link this time. Having a different combination at each location would likely be a logistics problem.

My mom used one of those.
Had a fall. Couldn't get up. Used the button. No lock box for keys. Neighbor with key was traveling out of town.

Fire department entered by "jimmying /popping" open the rear sliding glass door in her den area.

Apparently that is the easiest type of door to pop open without causing major damage .

My mom used one of those.
Had a fall. Couldn't get up. Used the button. No lock box for keys. Neighbor with key was traveling out of town.

Fire department entered by "jimmying /popping" open the rear sliding glass door in her den area.

Apparently that is the easiest type of door to pop open without causing major damage .
And people usually add additional security systems to them because buglers know this too. Then they aren't as easy.

Back
Top Bottom