Medicare Advantage disadvantage

Yes it is SWR.
My DGF has a MA plan with access to all doctors in our area, no premium, no deductible and 2,500 max. OOP.

There maybe other factors also, like income and health status. Again, I am not sure.

Last edited:
I studied this issue up and down, back and forth, and came to the conclusion that signing up for a Medicare Supplement plan was the far better choice for me. Too much fuss and too many unknowns with Advantage plans, despite the appearance of attractive lower costs. I do feel secure in the Supplement coverage.

Feeling secure is important, good choice for you.

VW

It’s nice there are so many options. Easier for folks to find what works for them.

It is unfortunate that MA are advertised as they are, as "Free everything" plans. Like everything else buyer beware. If it seems too good to be true it probably is. I did review them in our area once and they were far too restrictive for my liking. I am hearing it works well for some though in certain locations here in Florida. I also do not like the underwriting required to change back. If we did not have that requirement, I would be more inclined to try it for a year or so.

Funny though, although modelled on the same idea, the ACA plans in our area are way better than the MA plans, DW has a PPO version. If I could have maintained my ACA plan after becoming of age, I probably would have kept it, but the monthly premiums were not $0. Deductibles on our joint ACA plan were Zero and docs visits were $5, MOOP was $2400. Medicare in our area with a supplement is almost double that.

With my heart issues I feel a lot more comfortable with Medicare + Part G. It paid for my new pacemaker and care in 2019 100% with no extra OOP costs.

If all the money that was put into advertising MA plan and others was put into the actual health care itself, can one imagine how affordable health care would be, and how profitable it must be?

Last edited:
I studied this issue up and down, back and forth, and came to the conclusion that signing up for a Medicare Supplement plan was the far better choice for me. Too much fuss and too many unknowns with Advantage plans, despite the appearance of attractive lower costs. I do feel secure in the Supplement coverage.

MN is pretty pricey IMO. Having said that, my DH literally would have died on the table in the OR, if he hadn't been in a world class facility with a world class surgeon who had a world class team.

Anyone who lived their whole lives in MN might not appreciate that all things are not created equal. It's one thing say you can get good care, it's another to say you have the best care possible. I figure that cost money, of course I'd rather have my hubby then the money..

Back
Top Bottom