Medicare - No Supplements?

I had the same problem. I bought this book on Amazon, it is an interesting read, and easy to locate sections/topics when I have forgotten:
https://www.amazon.com/Get-Whats-Yo...sr=8-1&keywords=get+what's+yours+for+medicare

At the same time, I also ordered up this revised edition on SS, as the previous edition I had went obsolete with the flurry of SS changes a couple years ago:
https://www.amazon.com/Get-Whats-Yo...sr=8-2&keywords=get+what's+yours+for+medicare

I'm starting to think I ought to find an insurance agent who can just tell me what plans are best for me, once I tell him or her my situation. I'll read the books too, but it's really too much and too complicated, to understand and to *remember*, for me. Sigh.... And I'll have to hope I find an agent who really knows the system. Another sigh....

It's worth mentioning again that if you are in the VA system or might qualify for the VA system that many Vets over 65 do not buy supplemental insurance for Medicare.

I'm starting to think I ought to find an insurance agent who can just tell me what plans are best for me, once I tell him or her my situation. I'll read the books too, but it's really too much and too complicated, to understand and to *remember*, for me. Sigh.... And I'll have to hope I find an agent who really knows the system. Another sigh....

Every state has a SHIP (state health insurance program). The name may vary a little (my state calls it State Health Insurance Information Program). They provide free assistance and counseling in navigating the maze of information about medicare. They are not insurance agents. If you are eligible for medicare you are eligible for their services.

My employer recently provided an onsite retirement seminar for employees 55+, and the local SHIP group was one of the organizations that participated. Our local library also schedules multiple free SHIP presentations throughout the year.

Here is the link to their national website - it provides links to all the state programs.

SHIP

Good luck! I will be navigating the medicare maze in 3 years, and I plan to contact SHIP at that time.

I have a high deductible plan F for $49 a month. A three day hospitalization last year would have cost me about $7,200 (20% of $36k) but only cost $700. Because I signed up for the Plan F in October, and was hospitalized in November, the deductible amount was pro-rated for the year, and it became quite the bargain. I was very grateful for it.

Back
Top Bottom