Medicare Part D - Prescription Drug Coverage

Sunnymar

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm now enrolled in a Plan F-HD, thanks to reading recommendations on this forum.
I'm now reviewing Part D. Neither I, nor my DH take any prescriptions, should we enroll in the cheapest plan. I have no way of knowing the best company for my future, am I missing anything?

I'm now enrolled in a Plan F-HD, thanks to reading recommendations on this forum.
I'm now reviewing Part D. Neither I, nor my DH take any prescriptions, should we enroll in the cheapest plan. I have no way of knowing the best company for my future, am I missing anything?

One nice feature of Plan D is you can change plans during open enrollment each November. Many members here just choose the least expensive plan until their coverage needs change, then at the next open enrollment they look for the plan that best fits their new needs.

^ What MichaelB said.

If you aren't taking any maintenance drugs (of the prescription variety :) ) just enroll in the lowest cost Part D plan you have available in your location.

^ What MichaelB said.

If you aren't taking any maintenance drugs (of the prescription variety :) ) just enroll in the lowest cost Part D plan you have available in your location.
That is what I did, figuring it is a place holder. 12 or 13 years on, this is till best for me. For help I recommend 1-800-medicare. The helpful human there will take you through the process, and she can also sign you up on the spot.

Ha

Thats what I did, got the cheapest plan. Back then I enrolled in Humana.
They are linked to Walmart pharmacy. You do not have to use a Walmart
pharmacy, but you pay more for your prescriptions if you go else where.

Here in Calif. there are a lot of new "small" Walmart grocery stores with a
pharmacy. Very convenient and so far not bad.

As other have mentioned. If your "drug" usage changes, then you just have to shop around to find the carrier with the best fees for your drug "tier" level.

Ditto. Taking no drugs, took the cheap Humana Walmart plan. If I need a drug I'll re-shop at renewal time.

I just have two generics that are quite cheap so picked the least expensive D plan which until now was Walmart Humana plan. Now Aetna has a similar plan with cheap copays at CVS and a monthly premium about half the Humana cost. So I switched for 2018. It pays to check costs during every open enrollment even for cheap plans.

.......................... Now Aetna has a similar plan with cheap copays at CVS and a monthly premium about half the Humana cost. So I switched for 2018. It pays to check costs during every open enrollment even for cheap plans.

must be a geography thing...where I live the difference is $0.70 (on base of $20)

I just have two generics that are quite cheap so picked the least expensive D plan which until now was Walmart Humana plan. Now Aetna has a similar plan with cheap copays at CVS and a monthly premium about half the Humana cost. So I switched for 2018. It pays to check costs during every open enrollment even for cheap plans.

Just curious, What is your new Aetna premium for 2018.
I also, only take generics, which are quite inexpensive.
My, Walmart Humana, premium for 2017 was $17/month. 2018 will be $ 20.40.
This is in San Francisco bay area, California. :greetings10:

Okay, I signed up for the Humana Walmart plan, the premium is $20.40 (Orange County, CA)
My 2018 United American Supplement Plan F-HD premium is $42.

I'm happy, good coverage with low premiums.

Just curious, What is your new Aetna premium for 2018.
I also, only take generics, which are quite inexpensive.
My, Walmart Humana, premium for 2017 was $17/month. 2018 will be $ 20.40.
This is in San Francisco bay area, California. :greetings10:

The Aetna plan is $12.70 a month vs $20.40 for the Humana Walmart plan. My co-pays for the two generics will be slightly cheaper even though the Aetna plan doesn't offer mail order. One recent drug I was prescribed would have been much cheaper under Aetna than my current plan. I estimate I'll save about $100/yr. But I wonder if it's a loss leader for the Phoenix area to get new signups.

My wife takes a number of drugs for a heart condition. Unfortunately, we fell into the "doughnut hole" around September.

I received a statement showing the cost of my 2 prescriptions yesterday. They are really cheap being generic.

But as a type II diabetic on a insulin pump, my insulin and pump supplies are paid 80% by Part B.

I hate to have to buy Part B, as I will be spending car less on current scripts than my insurance costs. But you never know when medications will change and some meds can really be pricey.

Ditto. Taking no drugs, took the cheap Humana Walmart plan. If I need a drug I'll re-shop at renewal time.
Update: I rechecked my options and found the Humana plan had gone up in price, so I took a less expensive plan.

I'm in the same position as you and purchased the cheapest Plan D available (Humana WalMart) to avoid a penalty down the road. As it turned out I just went through extensive cancer treatment and prescription drugs were minimal with no ongoing maintenance drugs so Plan D not only worked out well but will continue to be my choice for 2018. There's no reason for me to choose a different plan until I require expensive prescription drugs.

Back
Top Bottom