Medicare Part D Question (Florida)

LXEX55

Recycles dryer sheets
I will turn 65 in August, so I will be signing up for Medicare in July. I have already picked out a supplement plan. I am asking advice about Part D, the prescription aspect. Right now, I don't take any medications and am in perfect health. I know this is only a limited thing and like most people, will one day need regular medication. I guess I should sign up for some Part D plan. Any advice on which one and ball park estimate of monthly cost? I reside in Florida. My understanding is, if my situation changes, I can change plans during the annual sign up period.

You can look on medicare.gov. There is a link to search part d plans by zip with or without adding any drugs you take/ expect to take. You will see plan and their premium

DW has gone through this recently. We used Boomer Benefits for her supplement and her Part D.

When I get my medigap in November we'll get a 7% household discount.

Buy one of the cheapest plans you can find, which will probably come with a $435 deductible.

Yes, you can change plans every year and this lets you tailor you Part D plan to you medical needs.

Humana Walmart

There’s a Humana Walmart PDP in my area that’s about $13/mo or so. I believe that to be the lowest premium plan. For someone with no to low meds, seems like a good choice.

I have WellCare part D, some folks complain about them but they have been perfect for us. No issues here with customer service or payment or coverage. We are in NE Florida. It is possible (but not certain) that a lot of the complaints one sees are somewhat self inflicted. Again, I have used them for 2 years now with absolutely no issues.

I take BP, occasional Cholesterol and GURD Meds. All covered at $0 Copay. My monthly Premium is $13.20. Deductible is $435. Shingrx and such are not covered until deductible is met.

Last edited:
I have wellcare also. no probblems with them, as far as cheap and low generic cost it is hard to beat.

Here's a link to 27 plans for Florida.
https://www.medicarehelp.org/2020-part-d/state/florida
I think I'm a bit of an oddity as to my meds, they are all tier 3.
I checked a bunch of Plan Ds and no matter the cost, when I add up my meds and the yearly premium, the cheapest plan is the cheapest expense, I thought at some price point the cost would at least plateau. It never did it just cost more and more.
So for know I'm just going to buy the cheapest plan D, although I'm going to talk with my doc about possibly changing my BP med. The cash price for my BP med is around $235 mo. GoodRx gets it down to $207 mo. The plan Ds I looked at got me down to $110 mo. But I think I can get a mail order deal from the manufacturer for $40. I've been paying $10 with my non medicare BCBS.
Healthcare pricing is nuts. It pays to be persistent in chasing down low costs.

Back
Top Bottom