Medicare supplemental Ins.: Existing conditions

JP.mpls

Full time employment: Posting here.
I believe at 65 years of age all Americans are eligible to get Part A and Part B Medicare insurance from the government.

I have been advised to purchase a Part B supplement insurance plan, and a Part D drug insurance plan when applying for Medicare.

The Part B and Part D plans are offered by private insurance companies, not the government.

My questions:
1) Can the insurance companies offering these insurance plans reject an applicant or charge more to an applicant who has existing medical conditions?

2) Is there a way to compare Part D drug plans on line to determine what drugs they cover?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

JP

My questions:
1) Can the insurance companies offering these insurance plans reject an applicant or charge more to an applicant who has existing medical conditions?

Part B is not private coverage it is part of Medicare. Pre-existing conditions are not considered.

Medicare supplemental policies (Medigap) are private insurers but are not allowed to consider pre-existing conditions when you first apply for insurance. They can if you want to change insurers or coverage in the future.

2) Is there a way to compare Part D drug plans on line to determine what drugs they cover?

Yes. Check out Medicare.gov : https://www.medicare.gov/find-a-plan/questions/home.aspx

Last edited:
REWahoo,
Thanks for the clear and precise answers.

RE: The preexisting conditions.
"Medicare supplemental policies (Medigap) are private insurers but are not allowed to consider pre-existing conditions when you first apply for insurance. They can if you want to change insurers or coverage in the future."

I was hoping this would the answer. This sounds very logical, and it is a good reason to start with the better insurance coverage. We can always decide later to downgrade.

JP

Just to let you know, my mom has changed insurance companies a number of times and never have they asked about pre-existing conditions...

She does go with the HMO options which she pay nothing extra.... just the normal amount out of SS check...

We moved from Florida to our current home in Illinois while we had our supplement plans, back in 2004. We have kept our supplement plan in FL because we were so pleased with the service and have never had a problem with any of the many medical events and expenses and payments, or acceptance at any facility here.

In the beginning, we kept the FL plan, because we were afraid of increased costs or denial of service due to preexisting conditions. Calls to Medicare confirmed the ability to keep our original insurance no matter where we lived.

As I recall, when we finally checked on this, the Florida service was somewhat less than the cost of changing policies to an Illinois carrier.

Am not an expert on this, so would defer to Michael's expertise if I'm wrong.

Just to let you know, my mom has changed insurance companies a number of times and never have they asked about pre-existing conditions...

She does go with the HMO options which she pay nothing extra.... just the normal amount out of SS check...

This sounds like a Medicare Advantage policy which is substantially different than the various "Medigap" supplemental policies.

I elected to change my Supplemental policy last year to get a different coverage plan at age 72. I had to qualify and was interviewed twice, once by the broker and once by the insurance rep. If I had a previous cancer claim or ongoing diabetes, I would have been automatically rejected.

There are certain conditions when a Medigap supplemental plan can be repurchased after the initial period. One condition is if you move out of an area where your plan has coverage and into an area where that exact coverage is not offered by your insurer. Then you can join a new plan without qualifying.

Last edited:
This sounds like a Medicare Advantage policy which is substantially different than the various "Medigap" supplemental policies.

I elected to change my Supplemental policy last year to get a different coverage plan at age 72. I had to qualify and was interviewed twice, once by the broker and once by the insurance rep. If I had a previous cancer claim or ongoing diabetes, I would have been automatically rejected.

There are certain conditions when a Medigap supplemental plan can be repurchased after the initial period. One condition is if you move out of an area where your plan has coverage and into an area where that exact coverage is not offered by your insurer. Then you can join a new plan without qualifying.

You are probably right.... I think it is an Advantage plan...

I do not know all the ins and outs... but will have to learn in 5 years....

I just started Medicare A&B in June. I do not have any Medigap coverage.

Can I get it later without a penalty similar to the Part B catch-up penalty?

I did take the Walmart/Humana Part D coverage which works great.

Still time to sign up for MediGap https://medicare.com/medicare-supplement/when-can-you-buy-a-medigap-policy/
The best time to purchase Medicare Supplement insurance, also known as Medigap, is during your Medigap Open Enrollment Period. This period lasts six months and begins the first day of the month in which you are 65 or older and enrolled in Medicare Part B.

Best to get it within 6 months of first becoming eligible. No formal penalty but other big potential downsides to delaying, including "No soup for you!"

The best time to buy a Medigap policy is during your 6-month Medigap open enrollment period. During that time you can buy any Medigap policy sold in your state, even if you have health problems. This period automatically starts the month you're 65 and enrolled in Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance). After this enrollment period, you may not be able to buy a Medigap policy. If you're able to buy one, it may cost more.

https://www.medicare.gov/supplement...can-i-buy-medigap/when-can-i-buy-medigap.html

As others have said it's cheaper to get it within the first 6 months of turning 65.

BCBS of MA offers 15% premium discount on Medigap policies the first year, 10% the second and 5% the third. Check it out.

FYI:
DW applied for Plan A Medicare at 65, and opted out of the Plan B. She stayed on my Megacorp medical insurance plan from my employer.

She is going to enroll in Medicare Plan B soon.

I was told that she needs to signed up in the Medicare Plan B prior to cancelling her existing medical insurance. If she is without insurance, or even on Cobra insurance when enrolling in Plan B, the Plan B costs go way up.

JP

Back
Top Bottom