Memorable music and artists that will be memorialized in 40 to 50 years?

LOL!

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I was listening to my John Prine album from 1971 and realized how much comfort music has been to me throughout my life especially going back to touchstone music during tough times.

So I got to wondering about what the touchstone albums / artists for Millennials / GenZ and other American generations will be in 40 to 50 years. I'll ask my adult children, but they grew up listening to my old albums, so there might be a lot of overlap with my tastes.

Also I wondered about my friends who have been in the USA a long time, but not until they were in their late 40's. Do they have memorable music and artists from their young adult years that they go back and listen to? I mean, does somebody from say, Malaysia or Japan have music from their native country that is important to them? Will a musician from their country ever get the kind of send-up that John Prine has received in the media this week?

I've thought about this subject a lot.

All my life, from the time I was 4, I listened to music. I didn't stop actively listening to "popular" music until the 90's though my era was '55 to '85 (roughly.) I got into album rock from '65 to '85 (once I could afford to buy my own music.) I go back to "my" music the most now. Our local cable feed recently added AXSTV. It's been an excellent time-passer now that we are stuck inside for a while.

Our kids came along in the '80s. None of them ever seemed passionate about music as they grew up. One daughter seemed to share a little bit of DWs passion for certain country artists, but that's about it.

Prejudice Alert: None of our kids got into Rap/Hip Hop thank God. Other than that, I can't really say what they liked. They rarely just "listened" to music.

I recall hearing "American Woman" by Lenny Kravits coming from our daughter's room. I had an actual conversation about it with her, telling her about The Guess Who. She seemed shocked that I knew about "popular" music and that the song was a cover.

So, yeah, what WILL our kids look back on when they're 50? I have no idea but YMMV.

I recall hearing "American Woman" by Lenny Kravits coming from our daughter's room. I had an actual conversation about it with her, telling her about The Guess Who. She seemed shocked that I knew about "popular" music and that the song was a cover.

This reminds me of an incident back in 97 or 98. I was at a neighborhood pool with the family, and the theme song for "Men In Black" came on from portable player a group of teenagers had. I told one of the teens that I knew "thanks for playing a song that I know". They asked if I was into rap, I said no, but the tune was from an old song I used to play when I was a DJ. They were surprised. I went back to our house, got the CD, and brought it to them and played the original song. Many of them were shocked, and a few asked me about a few other songs that I pointed out were also "old".

Those teenagers are now in their late 30s. One theory I have about why you still hear many songs from the 70s and 80s played at weddings is that have been reused in so many more "current" songs, that once many realized it they started seeking out the originals.

I listen to Joni Mitchell or any one from the 60's on YouTube and read the recent comments, there are lots of youngsters finding the music I was listening to 50+ years ago.

When I went to college, it was when Carole King's Tapestry album and James Taylor's Sweet Baby James album were big hits. A couple of years later, Memphis musician Isaac Hayes came in with Shaft that was a changer.

They're examples of what I consider timeless, as they still hold up as superior examples of music. The list of such albums is long.

Our son loves music and has his own favorites across all genres. Thankfully he loves classic rock in addition. I have grown to believe that the 60s and 70s music and perhaps the 80s remains popular because it was such a productive and fertile time for artists, and much remains relevant and gets airplay today.

Of course my FIL was into big band music. I once read that each generation has a propensity to reject the music of the prior generation. I see each era as having value and I can appreciate.

DS is very passionate about the Dave Mathews Band. His taste in country is mainly newer artists with the classic country sound. Ok am not real familiar with any of them.

I recall that in the movie American Graffiti, Paul LeMat's character says, " music has been going down hill since Buddy Holly died". I do wonder if many artists from this era will still be well regarded in 50 years.

Now, cue the Get Off My Lawn, etc.

I've thought about this subject a lot.

Our kids came along in the '80s. None of them ever seemed passionate about music as they grew up.
So, yeah, what WILL our kids look back on when they're 50? I have no idea but YMMV.

This gave me a wry smile. I recall wandering into the kitchen one day in the early 90's to make a cuppa-joe. My eldest son, around 12-13 at the time was bopping to a song on our PC and I joined in, word for word with all the phrasing nuances. Son turned around and was amazed that his old man was so down with this 'latest' song. It was Harry Nilson's 'Lime in the coconut' [circa early 70's], the look on his face was priceless! :) He went on to explore Harry's repertoire and branched out to discovering The Beatles, Donovan and others of that 60's-70's period :)

Cheers - Mick

DS went on a scout trip when he was 12-13 and rode with another dad. He got back and as we were talking about the event and the trip he said the dad had played a bunch of music and there was one guitarist that he was really impressed by. He was amazed I had heard of him,,,a guy called Jimi Hendrix.

Although every generation wants (and needs) to break away from mom and pop’s, quality always tells in the end. I remember an anecdote I heard long ago, probably from the 60’s or 70’s, when a father told his daughter about a (presumably “square”) Frank Sinatra song: you will dance to this at your wedding... needless to say, the father was right.

All I know is that my favorite radio stations are called classic rock, album rock or even oldies sometimes. Even if some of the music is actually newer artists, just reflecting that style of music. What is funny is how some of the 80-90s top 40 kind of stuff is now played on the classic rock station; at least those with the similar style. Certainly no rap of course. I do think a lot of what we like to listen to is a function of what we grew up listening to. Sort of stays with us.

There are several artists that survive the test of time, most of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees for example will pass this test. I do question how some of the R&RHoF inductees are considered R&R however. Not by my definition of R&R.

It is funny how a cover of an older song can gain current popularity without a lot of the younger listeners realizing the song was previously released many years prior. But it shows the quality of the music if a cover can bring new fans.

It is funny how a cover of an older song can gain current popularity without a lot of the younger listeners realizing the song was previously released many years prior. But it shows the quality of the music if a cover can bring new fans.

I remember being surprised by contemporaries at the time being unfamiliar with the originals when Joe Jackson’s Jumpin Jive came out in the early 80’s. More people than I could imagine thought the entire album was original.

Back
Top Bottom