Music - Important to you?

I listen to music daily in my car and at home. Still enjoy looking for newer music but cannot stand rap or hip-hop. I have about 600 LPs and maybe 300 CDs. I prefer classic rock and blues. The newest stuff I have found that I like is Mumford And Sons and Jake Bugg.

Last edited:
I love music, as a listener. I tried piano as a young child and continued into my early teen years, having my older sister as teacher. I had excellent technique and music reading abilities, but lacked the "ear" and rhythm to be any good. I gave it up at age 14 to pursue my beloved science and math subjects.

I have Sirius service in both of our vehicles. I like 60s, 70s, 80s, the Underground Garage station, Classic Vinyl, and Classic Country stations.

I have a collection of CDs of classical music ("Best of" type collections found on discount racks in drugstores) and collections of Sinatra, Humperdink, Big Band era, Johnny Cash, Glenn Campbell, BB King, Aretha, Crystal Gayle, Clapton, Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, Celtic music, Enya, Streisand, and Donna Summers to name just a few.

Once in a while I actually turn on the FM radio and listen to MIX 106.3 for a change of pace from my own music collections.

I love to dance for exercise in my living room.

No rap, no hip hop or overproduced popular music for me. I enjoy clean musical instruments and vocals, minus the overproduction and mixing so common today. :nonono:

Am back in to Jazz... Spent yesterday dozing on my hammock next to the lake, for an hour and a half... listening to my favorite... Mel Torme. All 60 of the songs I downloaded back in 1995.

That's not the reason for this post. Yesterday, listening to NPR, a story about a pianist. 12 years old. Yeah.. big deal... so what? until I went to YouTube to look and listen...

I'm into jazz piano... the old timers... Brubeck, Monk, Tatum, Shearing et al. Something that is "Je ne sais pas", but you know it when you hear it. But a 12 year old? No way... Except...

Here's the piece from NPR...
A (Very) Young Jazz Pianist Takes Giant Steps Towards Musical Mastery : NPR

Where did this kid come from? Self taught and with a sense of timing, and feeling.. that is given only to a very few.

If you're not really into jazz... just take a quick listen to this YouTube piece... jump to any part of the piece.

Renews my faith that there's still a future for jazz.

Astoundingly good. Thanks.

Where did this kid come from? Self taught and with a sense of timing, and feeling.. that is given only to a very few.

If you're not really into jazz... just take a quick listen to this YouTube piece... jump to any part of the piece.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4V_uaxBVOw

Listened to the youtube. Wow. What was so impressive was, this wasn't 'just' some showboating technique fireworks show-off type. He played with so much 'maturity' (how do you define that?), but I felt like I was listening to one of the masters of piano jazz, not a show-off. I sure hope he has a long and great career, some of these prodigies burn out early. But he just strikes me as one that will survive and grow. Hope I'm right.

Thanks.

-ERD50

Got back from an audio club demo, hosted at someone's home - very nice setting, good company, great sound system and really good music.

Always open to new music - this track was one that was used for the speaker demo - funky good groove, jazzy, jams - and new to me (even better!)

Michael Ruff - Wishing Well

Amazing, and I'm not even a huge fan of jazz. The kid's Wikipedia page quotes Wynton Marsalis: "There has never been anyone that you can think of who could play like that at his age." Wow.

Back
Top Bottom