Missed the inauguration rehearsal

donheff

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have been living on Capitol Hill in DC for 27 years and never realized there is a great inauguration rehearsal I could have walked down to see. DS lives a few blocks away and watched it today - he didn't tell me because he assumed I knew about it. Starting at 7:00 AM the announcers ran through the whole drill, introducing stand in speakers who would say, "blah, blah, blah, God bless America." After the rehearsal, all of the parade participants conducted a mock parade down Pennsylvania Ave. DS walked up Capitol Hill to come around the east side of the building and back to our neighborhood but was told he couldn't cross the Capitol grounds like we normally would. Hearing bands playing he cut back over to East Capitol Street and found himself standing with the Army band who's leader starter chewing the fat with them. Seems they were over there rehearsing for Bush's departure. Suddenly one of the Presidential helicopters swooped in over the building to land on the Capitol grounds, the bands struck up, the guns roared, the stand in entered the bird and then it lifted off for Andrews. I am definitely going to catch this free show the next time around.

Back
Top Bottom