Modelling when to take Social Security and other pensions

I should add if I change the ROI to 4% the difference between the options becomes smaller and as you can see it doesn't really matter when I take it. I can only spend so much money

That is the only variable I changed and now 65 isn't the sure winner. 62 and 65 are close, but 70 is still the best starting in the mid 90's which I think is to far out to count on for now

I did also model for my wife if I were to pass and she will be fine in any scenario

Edit- posted the wrong curve. Corrected

Attachments

• ss2.JPG
    ss2.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
And if I just change the ROI to 8%, then 62 is the clear winner

These 3 posts should illustrate there is no right answer . . . it depends

Attachments

• SS3.JPG
    SS3.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 29
I should add if I change the ROI to 4% the difference between the options becomes smaller and as you can see it doesn't really matter when I take it. I can only spend so much money

That is the only variable I changed and now 65 isn't the sure winner. 62 and 65 are close, but 70 is still the best starting in the mid 90's which I think is to far out to count on for now

I did also model for my wife if I were to pass and she will be fine in any scenario

Edit- posted the wrong curve. Corrected

based on what you modeled, and your subsequent post with 8%, I'd argue that you should seriously look at age 65... it also appears that anything above 65 is not adverse to a good outcome.
Why 65...if there's any sensitivity (8% is likely way too high...not many have 100% equities as that's just too much risk) then having the extra cash in the portfolio for "one offs"/immediate needs (by not delaying further and keeping your taxable account higher) would be beneficial. Clearly you show that age 62 is not acceptable; much better outcome if one delays (at least) three years. The case for age 70 (at least in your numbers isn't nearly as strong.

That's my pair of pennies

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom