Monthly Winter Oceanfront Rental in South Carolina

Z3Dreamer

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Have done Florida the last few years, but thought we would give SC a chance.

Have been looking at specific units in Myrtle Beach, Isle of Palms, Hilton Head. According to AccuWeather, they have 21, 23 and 25 days above 60 degrees in January. Rates go from $1,000 to $2,500 per month before fees. Of course, they all have a whole host of fees: resort fee (5.5%), leasing fee (8%), application fee, 15% taxes.

Looking for a 2 BR, 2BA Oceanfront. Any specific recommendations?

Have done Florida the last few years, but thought we would give SC a chance.

Have been looking at specific units in Myrtle Beach, Isle of Palms, Hilton Head. According to AccuWeather, they have 21, 23 and 25 days above 60 degrees in January. Rates go from $1,000 to $2,500 per month before fees. Of course, they all have a whole host of fees: resort fee (5.5%), leasing fee (8%), application fee, 15% taxes.

Looking for a 2 BR, 2BA Oceanfront. Any specific recommendations?

Why don't you try VRBO or Air BnB...a lot of those fees should go away...as a general rule any rental over 30 should not incur a tax.

Have lived in SC for 98% of my life. Skip Myrtle Beach (well, maybe Pawley's area would be ok....), and head further down the coast starting around Charleston areas. Just a suggestion.

The first 3 weeks of February are what passes for Winter around here. A light jacket or sweater will usually be sufficient. Isle of Palms is a beautiful spot along the oceanfront and off-season monthly rentals should be plentiful.

I suppose it depends on what you're looking for -- Golf is a year round thing, there are plenty of challenging courses. Charleston Restaurant "Week" runs thru most of January, deep discounts at the best establishments are geared towards the locals and Oyster season is in full swing. The Museums are uncrowded.

You're not going to go swimming in the Ocean. I haven't seen snow, but we had a hard frost last year that damaged the fruit & berry crop.

If you come down to Isle of Palms or Wild Dunes, I can give you a list of our favorite Restaurants that should keep you well-fed during your stay.

Last edited:
The weather in the Deep South is very variable throughout the Winter months. This past winter was abnormally warm. It's always hit and miss.

The South Carolina coast and the very popular Florida panhandle beach areas also get very, very cold sometimes. You cannot really be assured of warm Winter weather until you get south of Orlando. I've seen snow in St. Augustine before.

We just suck it up and stay in the Mid South for the Winter. And there's really no where we want to visit until the weather breaks around April 1st.

OP here. January temps here are 41/21 so a place that averages 61/40 seems great. Problem isn't that I can't find places. Problem is that I find too many. For example, Elliott Realty has 192 condos/145 homes that meet my criteria. This is just in Myrtle Beach.

FiveDriver-looking at IOP. Read that Seagrove sustained beach erosion in 2015. Is that just spotty areas (which happens all the time) or is it real common?

Thanks to all for the suggestions and ideas.

Do I want to spend double ($3,200) to be near Charleston and warmer or save a bundle and be in a high rise condo in colder NMB ($1,600)?

The coast of Carolina had some hellacious storms in the Autumn of 2015 and 2016. Edisto Beach to the south of here really got clobbered. I will say that the State monitors the Beaches and does a good job of replinishing sand as needed....they rebuilt Folly Beach 2 years ago. Based on the revenue that they generate, the Beaches are protected as they ought to be.

Again, it depends on what you are looking to do during the "off" months. In my experience, Myrtle Beach kind of slows down during Jan/Feb and some restaurants close for a month.

It's not unreasonable to suggest that you use the less expensive place as a Base Camp and explore the SE Coast on day trips. Charleston is about 2 hours south of MB and Hilton Head/Savannah is another 2 hours south of that. An overnight in SAV might be worthwhile.

Again, it depends on what you are looking to do during the "off" months. In my experience, Myrtle Beach kind of slows down during Jan/Feb and some restaurants close for a month.

This.

And if you're looking for milder weather, it's just not far enough South. Don't be "too close" to Charleston and you won't have that $3200 cost.

I have a number of friends who are more frugal than I and winter in Myrtle Beach. My understanding from them is that other than an occasional cold snap that the weather is what we call up north "sweater" weather (one is comfortable outside with a sweater and long jeans or better. I think it is quite a bargain but we decided to go for warmer even though it costs more.

I had one friend who was thinking of buying an oceanfront condo and living in it offseason (Nov-Mar) and then renting it in season..... he was hoping that the in season rental income would just about cover their full year costs.

Last edited:
I'll say one thing for Myrtle Beach. That area must have more golf courses than anywhere in the world. Add the SE corner of North Carolina (closeby) and it's truly a golfer's heaven with courses like Pinehurst.

I have a number of friends who are more frugal than I and winter in Myrtle Beach. My understanding from them is that other than an occasional cold snap that the weather is what we call up north "sweater" weather (one is comfortable outside with a sweater and long jeans or better. I think it is quite a bargain but we decided to go for warmer even though it costs more.

I had one friend who was thinking of buying an oceanfront condo and living in it offseason (Nov-Mar) and then renting it in season..... he was hoping that the in season rental income would just about cover their full year costs.
Yeah, we have had that same discussion and even looked at properties in Myrtle and Hilton Head. We were concerned about it not being warm enough to bicycle and walk comfortably in Jan/Feb. Sure, we COULD DO IT, but we tend to hibernate during "sweater weather". SC is about 40% cheaper to rent, though.

We prefer the South FL spring/early summer type weather most of the winter.

Booked a high rise in NMB. Not too far from Barefoot Landing. Thanks for the ideas.

For what its worth, we visit MB every winter at a pet friendly condo. We love the winter solitude. This year, we'll be there the month of February.

Do take time to find out where the locals eat - most of the tourist joints are shuttered in the winter (thankfully). There are much better choices than the (endless) franchise joints.

Enjoy (but do bring a jacket)!

my friend has an ocean front condo in north myrtle beach. I called her about this thread. She has never rented for the winter but is now considering it. pm me for her name and phone number.

We were concerned about it not being warm enough to bicycle and walk comfortably in Jan/Feb.
Not warm enough to bicycle? How could that be possible unless there is ice on the road or a Force 8+ gale blowing?

Ha

definitely subscribing to this thread. I've been looking at SC and also Tybee island in Ga. trying to find a beach town to be a snow bird at.
lol I'm a philly gal so winters here are talking 20 degrees. 60 degree sounds like heaven

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom