Monty Python

David1961

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I was in the library and saw a DVD of John Cleese's favorite Monty Python's Flying Circus skits. I checked it out and I have to say it is a different type of humor, but also must admit I laughed. Any Monty Python fans here? I have never seen any of their movies but would like to see some now.

........ and now for something completely different.................:greetings10:

My absolute favorite comedy troupe of all time.
I have the complete TV series on DVD (which I bought to replace my home-recorded VHS tapes).

Their humor tends to be so bizarre that I feel it's essentially timeless.

I was in the library and saw a DVD of John Cleese's favorite Monty Python's Flying Circus skits. I checked it out and I have to say it is a different type of humor, but also must admit I laughed. Any Monty Python fans here? I have never seen any of their movies but would like to see some now.

Two of their best sketches ever: The Black Knight Fight and the Dead Parrot sketch. Don't miss these two - google them.

Check out "Monty Python and the Holy Grail". On a laughs per frame basis, probably the funniest movie ever.

Watched it all through college, as did most of us...still makes me laugh.

It's probably not so in the US, but growing up in the UK in the 70's and 80's, I imagine every class had a smart and slightly annoying kid who incessantly quoted Monty Python. I know ours did :LOL:

Yeah, great stuff. If you google "Monty Python sketches," as I did, you'll see a hundred of them -- testament in itself to how beloved the troup is.

Here's one of my favorites. The segment from 2:40 always kills me.

Last edited:
When people here start doing the "yes it is"/"no it's not" stuff, I often link to the Monty Python Argument skit. One of my favorites.

The best movies by Python members or the whole bunch (in order of my admittedly off-center tastes) are:

Holy Grail
Yellowbeard (I think MichaelB likes this one too)
The Meaning of Life
A Fish Called Wanda
Life of Brian
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
Time Bandits.

And if you're discovering this brand of British humo(u)r for the first time, check out the Blackadder series. In order is best.

It's probably not so in the US, but growing up in the UK in the 70's and 80's, I imagine every class had a smart and slightly annoying kid who incessantly quoted Monty Python. I know ours did :LOL:

Oh, not so! In high school & college (in Ohio during that same time period) myself and a couple of friends would often launch into the dialog of some Python movie scene or another. Occasionally, I still do. ;)

Ni!

ERhoosier said:
But I'm not here for an argument
Yes you are.

My son, who just began college this week, will occasionally have a Ni! fit with friends.

Last edited:
Have loved most of the British comedy stuff since first being introduced to it by my Dad when I was 12: Monty Python, Benny Hill, Are You Being Served, Black Adder, Father Ted, Porridge just to name a few (Ab Fab! Red Dwarf! there are just sooooo many!!).
Liked em all so much I married a Brit (a Geordie!)!

Back
Top Bottom