More in U.S. Retiring, or Planning to Retire, Later

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Attachments

• IMG_2789.jpg
    IMG_2789.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I have noticed people I know are working longer in life. The question is why people are working longer?

If I had to guess on the people that I know is that they can't give up their status and have nothing more than work. I believe most of them are financially secure and could stop today.

It always surprises me how young the average age of retirement is. 57 in the 90s; 61 now? I guess a lot of people who thought they were going to work forever burn out, are unable to work, or get dumped earlier than they anticipated.

I think street has it right for a lot of folks. It's easy to get your identity wrapped up in your w*rk. My dad was very much like that.

For others, I suppose you could mention the various things which take a lot of money to accomplish. Inflation in general - folks may be w*rking longer to make up for the "losses" caused by inflation. Additionally, folks may be "rightly" frightened that retirement will be much more costly than previously estimated. I suppose a lot of near-retirees want to help kids/GKs go to university/college - that's an expensive proposition that doesn't appear to be getting any better.

Too bad the article didn't go into these questions. Well beyond their scope, of course.

I'm surprised the ages are so low, when I consider the fact that, "According to U.S. Census Bureau data, 50% of women and 47% of men between the ages of 55 and 66 have no retirement savings."

Source,
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/millions-of-americans-nearing-retirement-age-no-savings/

A stat that could lead to a lower retirement age, "according to the Centers for Disease and Control Prevention (CDC), the United States counts around 61 million adults with disabilities. That represents 26% of adults in the US or 1 in 4 adults."

Yes, I do understand that not all of theses would be retired.

https://www.inclusivecitymaker.com/disability-statistics-in-the-us/

I think it's common, when you're younger, to believe you're going to work forever. Old age just seems like it's an eternity away, and people tend to have that youthful optimism that they think will go on forever.

However, I'm surprised that it was that young, 57, in 1991. However, back then pensions were a lot more common, including the types that would let you take an early retirement. For instance, I have a friend who's a high school teacher. I think he can get his pension with its maximum benefit, after 30 years of service, and age at the time is irrelevant.

In my friend's case, I think it's 54% of your best 3 or 5 years or whatever. And in his case, I think he hits 30 years at the age of 54 or 55. Oddly, he thinks this is a crap pension, but I've tried to stress to him, remember, that when he's retired he's no longer paying INTO that pension, which is 7% of his salary. And, he's no longer paying into SS/Medicare, either so that's another 7.65%. So that 54% of his salary is more like 69%. If he takes SS early at 62, I imagine that would push him back up to around 85-90% of his original salary.

I think those types of plans are still common among state/county type employees. But I wonder if they were just more common in general, back then?

My maternal Granddad took an early retirement from the federal gov't, at the age of 55, in 1971 to help take care of one of Grandmom's aunts. She died within a year, but Granddad felt no compelling urge to return to the workforce. Grandmom was sort of forced into early retirement from the federal gov't at the age of 56, when our local Glenn Dale Hospital got shuttered. That was the end of 1980. She went back to work though, doing transcription work for some doctors she knew, and then doing part time/on-call doing medical records at a local hospital, until she finally gave it up for good at the age of 70. On my Dad's side, Granddad retired from the Pennsylvania Railroad in 1974, at the age of 60. He had 35 years in, and from what I've heard, those railroad pensions were like gold. Dunno if that's the case these days, though. Grandmom ended up retiring the same year. She would've been 56-57.

Now, I'm sure a lot changed from the 1970's to 1991 with regards to retirement. But, back then there were still a lot of retirees from earlier eras reporting. In 1991, for example, 3 of my 4 grandparents were still alive.

That poll is worded a bit tricky though. It might make you think that the average retirement age in 1991 was 57. However, what it's really saying is that the average retiree who answered that poll in 1991, had retired at the age of 57.

I have noticed people I know are working longer in life. The question is why people are working longer?
I am trying to figure out the same. I know several people, older and younger, who are financially independent. Yet they would not stop working. It's a combination of things: some just don't know what else to do, some use very conservative returns, some are fearful of the financial future, some are in it for the fame/power, it's mixed beg. It's one of those YMMV things! I hope I can stop when I get there.

PS: One counter example: One guy retired as soon as he hit 62 with 300K nest egg, very modest lifestyle but I was trying to convince him to delay retirement because clearly the math would not have worked out. But good for him since he passed away 3 years later. Life is so unpredictable.

Last edited:
Some people enjoy working or find it meaningful or both. It’s not all about fear, status, or finances.

Average retirement age on this site is probably in the 56/57 range.

Back
Top Bottom