Most Traveled People

Eagle43

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
In Forbes Life Magazine, I came across an article about Charles Veley. Apparently he has been everywhere, well almost everywhere. Natch, he has a web site, and here it is.

Most Traveled People - Where Have you Been?

They're claiming there are 673 countries, territories, islands, etc. and Veley has been to 629 of them. He's only 42 years old, so it's quite a feat.

The article discussed things like where he nearly died, hardest to get to, and best bath rooms (Russia, you can go anywhere; Japan has heated toilet seats). Believe it or not, he thought Lebanon and Iran had the friendliest people.

In case you're interested, here's the site's master list of the 673 locations:

MTP - Master List (Print Version)

I think we had a thread about most countries visited, but I don't recall anybody getting near 673. The top 10 on the Most Traveled People list have visited 501.

You can read about Mr. Veley's travels and others at the site.

Here's the Forbes article:
Travelin' Man - Forbes.com

I'm only up to 18 countries so far. But I expect to add many more before it's all over!

My list:

US
Canada
Panama
Estonia
Latvia
Russia
Finland
Sweden
Iceland
Denmark
Germany
Czech Republic
France
Italy
Austria
Switzerland
Luxemborg
Litchtenstein
Belgium

We're working on it, too!

My list:

US
Canada
Panama
Germany
France
Italy
Austria
Belgium
Mexico
Guatemala
Columbia
Argentina
Uruguay
Brazil
Puerto Rico
Dominican Repubilc
Haiti
US Virgin Islands
BVI
St. Martin
Barbados
St. Lucia
Bahamas
Turks & Caicos
Antigua
Caymans
Jamiaica
Portugal
Spain
Greece
Holland
UK
Ireland
Bermuda

And many more to go!:cool:

Pretty cool web page. My count was at 65 of 673. I have seen 1/10 of the world. UGH!!!

My list:

Canada
Mexico
Panama
Colombia
Peru
El Salvador
Honduras
Belize
Guatemala
St.Martin
Dominican Republic
Haiti
Japan
Korea
Taiwan
Hong Kong
Macao
China
Sri Lanka
Singapore
Malaysia
Indonesia
Thailand
Philippines
Turkey
Morocco
Germany
Spain
Denmark
England
Wales
Scotland

Now it's time to see the parts of the U.S. that I haven't been to.

I have been to maybe a dozon or so.... but hope to get more soon..

My mom has been to all 50 states... and I believe in the 60 to 75 countries range... don't know how they got 6oo+... will have to look..

Heated toilet seats? Most of the toilets in Japan, except for gaijin-centric hotels, didn't have a seat...

I am up to 93 out 673 which puts me in the top 1000 who've visited the website. 48 states, most of Europe, and whirlwind tour of China help bring up the count.

A fun website. It looks like I need to go to Brazil and India to have a shot at 200.

Ah Yes, the Benjo. I remember as a 17-year-old stationed in Hokkaido, being in the men's benjo, when a female passed thru the room, to get to the women's. I was naive then, and couldn't believe such things happened in this world.

"The modern toilet in Japan, in English sometimes called Super Toilet, and commonly known in Japanese as Washlet (ウォシュレット, Washlet?) or as warm-water cleaning toilet seat (温水洗浄便座, onsui senjō benza?) is one of the most advanced type of toilet worldwide, showing a dazzling array of features."

After reading your Wikipedia article, I am reminded of a joke about a guy on a train who is forced to used the women's restroom. He is instructed that he can push the blue button, and the white button, but don't you dare push the red button. Of course he did, and. . .and . . . well insert your own punch line. It was crude.

The most traveled people site shows me that I really haven't traveled much. I've been to 10-12 countries.

Ah Yes, the Benjo. I remember as a 17-year-old stationed in Hokkaido, being in the men's benjo, when a female passed thru the room, to get to the women's. I was naive then, and couldn't believe such things happened in this worl

:):):)

I was in Korea in l953. (l7 year old Marine Grunt). Our regiment had a policy, 8 mos. in a combat zone, qualified you for a week of R&R in Japan.

I had about two weeks to go to qualify, when a N. Korean ruined my plans.

5 days in a Mash Unit, and 3 weeks at Balboa Naval Hospital in San Diego, Japan was in my rear view mirror.:)

However, in the years since then, have been fly-fishing in Canada, played a number of golf tournaments in Mexico, and spent some time in the "Bay Area".:)

The world is my oyster.:)

Ah Yes, the Benjo. I remember as a 17-year-old stationed in Hokkaido, being in the men's benjo, when a female passed thru the room, to get to the women's. I was naive then, and couldn't believe such things happened in this world.

At work the cleaning ladies regularly come right on into the men's room regardless of who is in there doing what. It also is not that rare to find urinals which are completely exposed to public view. Men aren't assumed to need much privacy, I guess.

"The modern toilet in Japan, in English sometimes called Super Toilet, and commonly known in Japanese as Washlet (ウォシュレット, Washlet?) or as warm-water cleaning toilet seat (温水洗浄便座, onsui senjō benza?) is one of the most advanced type of toilet worldwide, showing a dazzling array of features."
Got two of them in my house. Heated seat, butt wash, air filter -- anything less is just uncivilized. Try it, you'll like it.

Last edited:
United States
Canada
Mexico
The Bahamas
Martinique
Japan
Okinawa
(then) East Germany
Germany
UK
Italy
France
Austria
Switzerland
Netherlands
Monaco
Liechtenstein
Thailand
Vietnam

not likely to visit any more although I'd love to visit New Zealand and Australia if they weren't so far away...

I've been to 97 out of that long list, but not nearly as many countries.

I've been to 37 countries:

Africa
Senegal
Tunisia
Morocco

Asia
Turkey
Israel
Palestine
Korea
China
Japan

Europe
Sweden
Norway
U.K
Netherlands
Belgium
Germany
France
Spain
Switzerland
Austria
Monaco
Italy
Hungary
Poland
Ukraine
Latvia

North America and Carribean
Canada
US (and US VI, and PR)
Mexico
Jamaica
Cuba

South and Central America
Panama
Colombia
Venezuela
Brazil
Ecuador
Uruguay
Argentina

My list is pretty short:

Philippines
France
England
Ireland
Thailand
Japan

Don't have a big desire to travel. It used to be fun, but now is a hassle. Besides, you know what they say: "Wherever you go, there you are".

I have added 8 countries and two territories since I FIREd last year. But I don't count countries in the traditional sense. I think it matters more to get to know the culture, the people, the geography, etc., rather than just claiming you landed somewhere.

I have spent an average of one month each in these 8 new countries. Right now I am in Colombia learning the language and culture and meeting a lot of local people and seeing how they live and enjoying each other's company. And yes, it's true, these women are gorgeous ^-^

Kramer

Hi Kramer

Will you post a link to your blog - I seem to have misplaced it? Thanks.

Is the WiFi PC still serving you down there?

England
Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Germany
East Germany- (went thru Checkpoint Charlie)
France
Luxembourg
Switzerland
Netherlands
Spain
Portugal
Norway
Denmark
Sweden
Finland
Romania
Czech Republic
Hungary
Poland
Canada
Mexico
Ecuador
Columbia
Brazil
Argentina
Chile
Japan
Taiwan
Hong Kong
Macau
China
Korea
Taiwan
Malaysia
Singapore
Phillipines
Guam
Thailand
India
Australia
New Zealand
South Africa
Zimbabwe
Saudi Arabia
Bahrain
UAE
probably missing a couple of others...

Ok- I'll play:

USA
Canada,
Mexico
Korea
Phillipines
Okinawa
Japan
Chile
Ecuador
Panama
Germany
Netherlands
France
Spain
Italy
Croatia
ALbania
Turkey
Czech Republic
Slovenia
Slovakia
Poland
Denmark
Norway
Finland
Great Britain
Scotland
Ireland
Moldova
Morocco
Algeria
Luxembourg
Belgium
Switzerland
Austria
Bulgaria
I am moving back to Germany and plan to add on quite a few more :)

Interesting link. Let's see now:

Australia
New Zealand
New Guinea
Various Pacific Islands
Canada
Mexico
Japan
Hong Kong
Phillipines
India
Ceylon...is it still called Ceylon?