Most Unfriendly Part of the USA?

In general, where are the least friendly people in the USA?

• West

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • Southwest

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Midwest

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Southeast

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Northeast

Votes: 48 68.6%

• Total voters
Going to take the sulfur baths?

The first summer I was in in college we went a huge weekend Jazz Festival down there. Duke Ellington, Gerry Mulligan, Miles Davis, Count Basie, MJQ, Stan Kenton, George Shearing- I don't remember all the headliners but it was a very big event right there in rural Indiana.

When I was a child my parents took us to Brown Co. State Park for summer vacations. I remember a very nice big lodge, likely built by the CCC and a lot of nice cabins. I think we stayed in a cabin and ate at the lodge. We swam in a pool and also went horseback riding. We liked to bomb one another with hedge apples, huge sticky knobby things that I guess were the seed pods of some tree.

One year we went up with an Uncle who had a 1951 pea green Caddy convertible with red leather seats. I remember that is was very softly sprung and he would go fast on those rural roads that had lot of little dips and rises. The car kind of floated up and gave a feeling similar to a fast elevator. We thought it was like a roller coaster.

Ha

Not familar with the sulfur baths......

I'm meeting several other alums of a small southern Indiana liberal arts college (we graduated way back in '69) for our annual "old guys getting silly and trying to drink beer" reunion. We rent three A frame, two bedroom cabins in the park and just kinda hang out for a long weekend. When we first started doing this many years ago, when we arrived the cars were riding low on their springs under the heavy load of many cases of beer, coolers of steaks, etc. Now we limp in carrying a single six pack and a bottle of Malox! Time takes its toll! Still a good time though.

It's supposed to be fabulous weather this weekend. The cabins are in an attractive, heavily wooded setting and have large decks. I'm picturing half a dozen or so grey-beards sitting out there, feet on the railing and beer in hand, once again reliving homecoming game our senior year where we were ahead 21 - 20 until the fumbled punt return with only about 3 mins to go.........

Oh yeah..... to stay on topic, the people down there are real "friendly."

Not familar with the sulfur baths......

I was conflating 2 different places. Brown County Park was where my parents took us; the jazz festival was at nearby French Lick.

French Lick Indiana got its name from early French settlers and the “mineral licks” in the area. French traders came to the area and discovered the mineral springs bubbling from the ground in the vicinity of what is now French Lick. Wildlife came to lick the mineral deposits left on the ground and rocks. In the early 1800's settlers began to bottle and sell the "Pluto Water" from the springs. In the early 1800's Doc Bowles built the first hotel, a three story frame building. The community thrived and there was an influx of tourist traffic coming to drink and soak in the mineral waters.
French Lick Indiana Vacation near Indiana University and Brown County Indiana

Here's a reference I found to that 1959 French Lick Festival. Looking back it is incredible that so many all-star players were there.
http://www.duncanschiedt.com/view_desc.asp?albumID=27&ID=37&p=1

Ha

Southerners say what they mean also. It's just that it sometimes needs to be translated. If your woman friend says "Oh Dearie you look gorgeous where did you get that darling dress!" She may mean "You old hag you must shop in Value Village- and by the way, you had better get a face lift pretty quick!"

Ha

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I also had Southern manners explained to me like this: If a Southerner says to you, "Well look at you all dressed up in your college sweatshirt!" it sure sounds like a compliment....

Back
Top Bottom