Motorcycles' siren song...

I know a few people our age who ride and I've always been puzzled by the apparent contradiction between the thoughtful, long-term effort to provide for one's future (AKA FIRE) and riding a motorcycle (or hang-gliding or climbing Everest, for that matter). Rich, you've no doubt heard it in the ER, but bikes are called donor-cycles for good reason. I don't think we should spend our "golden" years in a bubble, but engaging in one of the riskiest "normal" activities society generally condones doesn't seem to fit. As an economist (moi) might explain it, a declining quantity of a good, in this case life, should generally result in each unit of such good being valued more. Yet, people take up activities that appear to indicate that they value what they have less. And, as we get older, our ability to recover from dangerous situations declines, reducing the odds of engaging in those activities safely. My brother-in-law's best friend was just buried because a motorist didn't see him. He was one of the finest men I've ever known. He'd been riding his entire life. If he'd been in a car the minor contact with the other car might not have even been noticed. I'm just venting at the world here, but everyone be careful! Value what you have.

Tom

I know a few people our age who ride and I've always been puzzled by the apparent contradiction between the thoughtful, long-term effort to provide for one's future (AKA FIRE) and riding a motorcycle (or hang-gliding or climbing Everest, for that matter). Rich, you've no doubt heard it in the ER, but bikes are called donor-cycles for good reason. I don't think we should spend our "golden" years in a bubble, but engaging in one of the riskiest "normal" activities society generally condones doesn't seem to fit. As an economist (moi) might explain it, a declining quantity of a good, in this case life, should generally result in each unit of such good being valued more. Yet, people take up activities that appear to indicate that they value what they have less. And, as we get older, our ability to recover from dangerous situations declines, reducing the odds of engaging in those activities safely. My brother-in-law's best friend was just buried because a motorist didn't see him. He was one of the finest men I've ever known. He'd been riding his entire life. If he'd been in a car the minor contact with the other car might not have even been noticed. I'm just venting at the world here, but everyone be careful! Value what you have.

Tom

Hindsight is 20/20 You can come up with tons of other scenarios and what ifs. When its your time to go its your time. If he had been in a tank he would not have died either..What if..:) I was in a car a few days ago and got rear ended by someone. If I was on a bike I doubt Id be alive...Its the risk we all take. I told my wife if we didnt go to Boarders or stop for lunch that lady would not have hit us. Ya what if ;)

Tom

Your sentiment is understood and appreciated. I’m sorry that you lost your friend. It might be said that he lived more while he was alive because of his motorcycle experiences. Might it be said that the declining quantity is offset by improved quality? I’m certain it’s true for me and I know it’s true for many others also.

I apologize for not including this warning with my earlier posting of a link to that siren song video.

“If extremely brief flashes of nipple and women using motorcycles as means of empowerment offend you, go watch Fox News or something. “

My son and I spent the week in Colorado with our two KLX-250s. We went over almost every high pass around Silverton.
P1030966.JPG
P1040064.JPG

Walt, that's a rhetorical question, right? DO IT!!! You won't regret it.

I've pretty much decided I'm going to. Looking hard for a Suzuki Boulevard or similar bike. Surprisingly, DW is okay with it but says "Don't expect me to ride it much". So I'm watching craigslist, newspaper ads, etc. and if I can't find what I'm looking for by February I'll buy a new one. I figure January/February, particularly if there is still snow on the ground, is a good time to buy a bike. Sometimes people can be so shortsighted.

When I registered a boat on a 5-degree day in January, the DMV clerk commented that I was an optimist.

Any future trips planned

Within the next three years I hope to take 2 months and tour the American mid-west. No schedule, and no agenda.

Any other dreamers out there?

Soon as I get out of the Navy, I'm strapping a tent and some gear to the back of my bike and heading out to nowhere for a while.

My beloved father in law, sadly passes away last month at the age of 82. Just weeks before he was out riding his Honda Goldwing and loving every minute of it.

RIP ... loved forever!

Triumph Rocket? I think I'd hurt myself with that, given that I haven't ridden a bike since 1977. Might be better to start out with something a tad smaller.

That video is HILARIOUS!! However, the largest production motorcycle in the world is the Boss Hoss; a Chevy 350 cui V-8 powered behemoth. I have GOT to find a PowerTour stop near me!!

Did a nice ride to Port Townsend and back today. Perfect weather here in the PNW for riding - not too hot, not too cold - and alot of bikes out enjoying it.

DD

LeatherneckPA said:

The vast majority of single vehicle motorcycle accidents occur because the rider was going too fast in a turn.

A couple of Fridays ago, I was working out on the deck. A quarter mile of woods is between us and a windy country road that is busier all the time as the town politicos give in to big box and condo developers. Nothing but birds chirping and squirrels barking. Than I heard this god awful metallic crunch/thud and a few seconds later an "Oh, my God." Then sirens. A 49 year old guy on a Yamaha took one of the windy turns wide and met a pickup carrying a dad and his two kids head on. I have the MC endorsement on my license from 40 years ago but have resisted the strong temptation to get a Harley like most of my tennis buddies who love to ride them to our USTA matches. Have to admit it's the fear factor.

Sounds nice.

Watch out for those deer...

I have so far (touch wood) by being paranoid whenever I ride at night, which I have to do as I work mostly nights now. I did hit a possum once...

Deer avoidance tip of the week. At this time of year the does are frequently followed by one or more fawns. The latter like to hold back before following mom across the road. Always slow down and watch for the fawn(s) - never assume the doe is alone...

DD

Well I thought I'd bring this thread back.....a bit of a blast from the past.

I noticed I had deleted the pic of my DH in this thread, so I'm gonna post it again. He went on a toy run today...about 200 bikers participated in the run. The grand total is not in yet, but it looks like they may have raised around $6k for 'toys for tots'.

I think Rich said he has a Gold Wing, or had one at some point? I included a pic of one just for him that was at the toy run... :)

Attachments

• gbike.jpg
    gbike.jpg
    492.5 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC01169.jpg
    DSC01169.jpg
    596.5 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC01173.jpg
    DSC01173.jpg
    603.7 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC01174.jpg
    DSC01174.jpg
    667.6 KB · Views: 3
Thanks, BB. I did own a Wing many years ago. It was the second best bike I ever owned, by which it did what it was designed for extremely well: long outings, thousand mile trips, two-up riding, rock solid.

The number one bike was my BMW K1200LT which did all the above at least as well, and had a rather sporty ride to it when I would misbehave on it on lonely roads leading to the horizon in the mountains of Utah. But I digress.

Thanks for the memories.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom