MRI experience ( Terror)

At mine they gave me earplugs and the cloth over my eyes. Knowing I couldn't open my eyes really helped as without that I would have sneaked a peek! Also, they gave me support cushions under my arms so that I wasn't trying to hold them up or keep them off the flat table. They told me it was noisy but I was surprised at how loud it was even with earplugs. Loud unpredictable clanging!

I just remembered another helpful thing. There was a small fan at the head end that blew lightly over my head and face. I think that really helps you not feel so contained.

Overall I felt the staff prepared me well and I handled it better than I expected. If I ever need another one, I'd have no hesitations.

I closed my eyes, never even looked at the machine no idea what it looked like.

Just in case you were considering it, you should never go spelunking. I went a few times with my Dad. Remember two times I got into real tight spots. Once crawling through a pinch and my heart rate definitely went up. Another time there was a piece of trash that had fallen down a narrow hole kind of area. I went down as I was skinny enough to get in there to retrieve it. Had my hands in front of me. Once down there, realize I didn't have enough room to move my arms much at all so I couldn't reach back to push off the sides. If I did move them to a couple positions my head lamp would burn me (for fun we were using my dad's old carbide lamps). That got pretty scary pretty quickly. Ultimately my dad and someone else with us had to pull me out by my feet, which fortunately they did in short order after realizing I couldn't.

I think fear of tight spaces and claustrophobia exists for a reason. Waaaay back when we were lizards crawling around in caves we learned the hard way to be scared of being stuck in a tight spot. If I had been alone in there I'd have been a goner, after some number of days dehydrating.

I've stepped on numerous rattlesnakes, been struck ( dry bite) , chased out of a river by a gator and robbed at gunpoint BUT nothing compares to this feeling.

Can we hear about the gator and rattlesnake attacks?!

I'm claustrophobic. I'll climb five flights of stairs before I'll take an elevator. I was very apprehensive before my first MRI. I took Xanax in advance and didn't have any problems. Luckily it was a big-bore short-magnet machine.
The last four times I haven't needed any Xanax. I always ask for loud music through the headphones.

Just got back from an MRI. Never had one so this was a totally new experience. I was certain that I a not claustrophobic .....until...... they slid me into the "tube". Shear instant terror, complete panic attack. My brain was screaming " GET ME OUT" like nothing I had ever experienced. Totally illogical and embarrassing but I could not control myself. I am a logical engineer that completely understands the workings and safety of the MRI BUT every fiber of my brain was in pure panic mode. I've stepped on numerous rattlesnakes, been struck ( dry bite) , chased out of a river by a gator and robbed at gunpoint BUT nothing compares to this feeling. The adrenaline rush was so bad that I have been shaking and shook up for 3 hours.
I am hoping that an OPEN MRI is an option otherwise I guess I'll have to be fully sedated. Does anyone else have MRI experiences like this and, if so, what did you end up doing ??

I experienced the same thing earlier this year. I have had MRIs in the past and tolerated them fine. In this case when I was placed inside the tomb I mean tube I began to have the feelings of panic that you describe. I asked them to pull me out. They did I talked to them some. They said I could continue if I wanted to or did not have to. I simply asked him to talk to me about the process as we were doing it. They did that and also played some music. I was able to tolerate it fine and finish it.

It's a mind over matter type thing. I have experienced it on airplanes sometimes too. Best bet is to distract your brain with something else such as music, a podcast you find interesting or pleasant memories.

I had one many years ago. I had a bad cold at the time and was afraid I would cough which is a no no as you have to stay perfectly still. I loaded up on cough meds so maybe that relaxed me a little. I also played mind games thinking about playing golf and other things. I will ask for an open air one next time.

I had an MRI a couple of years ago. I went in headfirst with my wrist pinned down. I had an inkling beforehand that maybe I might not like it so I went in with my eyes tightly shut. The rat-a tat-tat started and my heart just about burst out of my chest. The only thing that kept me from screaming for them to stop was I knew I really needed the MRI and I'm a reserved person who does not make scenes. At one point, I opened my eyes and that actually helped to orient me as I could see the sides of the tube and tell myself that the exit wasn't far away. So, closing your eyes doesn't work for everyone.

Hopefully, I'll never need another one, but if I do I'll ask for some sedation.

I had an MRI many years ago as a research control. It was great! Nobody could page me, call me, or ask me questions. Good practice for retirement.

I had one, and certainly felt the rising feeling of panic. This surprised me as I used to scuba dive, and when down 60 feet, there is a lot of water on top, and it's dim down there. Plus small spaces never bothered me.

I was able to control it enough to not freak out. But it was very unpleasant.
I'll keep in mind the towel trick for next time.

I went through a period of about 3 years enduring about 6 mris. Diagnosis of a brain lesion, pre surgery and several reruns to insure of no new growth. I tolerated all of them well and had only 2 problems. One time my IV needle wasn't put in right and the table and my gown were covered in blood as my arm had been leaking the whole time.
On my very last checkup I had no problem with the noise or close quarters but this MRI machine had a mirror so you could see the tech. as she talked to you. I spent most of the twenty minutes scared as hell while watching the tech. shake her head back and forth slowly exactly how you would expect someone to react to what I would assume was bad news. Turned out to be nothing. Bitch. Never been that scared before or since.

My suggestion is if yours has a mirror do Not look at your tech.

Just got back from an MRI. Never had one so this was a totally new experience. I was certain that I a not claustrophobic .....until...... they slid me into the "tube". Shear instant terror, complete panic attack. My brain was screaming " GET ME OUT" like nothing I had ever experienced. Totally illogical and embarrassing but I could not control myself. I am a logical engineer that completely understands the workings and safety of the MRI BUT every fiber of my brain was in pure panic mode. I've stepped on numerous rattlesnakes, been struck ( dry bite) , chased out of a river by a gator and robbed at gunpoint BUT nothing compares to this feeling. The adrenaline rush was so bad that I have been shaking and shook up for 3 hours.
I am hoping that an OPEN MRI is an option otherwise I guess I'll have to be fully sedated. Does anyone else have MRI experiences like this and, if so, what did you end up doing ??

Yes.

Knew I was slightly claustrophobic; but no idea I would react like that.

The MRI was IMMEDIATELY stopped.

I refused to go back.

I have had 3. I take a Xanax before I go. I need them to fly also.

Xanax is your (my) friend! Needed it regularly to get through some rough patches when w*$rking, have a Dr. who provides ample supply. Regret that I did not Xanax up for my one MRI. I know it would have made the experience much less traumatic.

Over the last few days I’ve chatted with some guys that I knew had mri’s for various reasons. Better than half of em said they also had a pretty serious sudden panic reaction when first slid into the coffin. 2 of my buddies said it was as bad as mine and they would have destroyed the machine getting out if the tech wasn’t right there to help. Those whose medico was good with open used that avenue, with sedation, and a couple had to go to lala land to get a closed. I feel a lot better now that I know I’m not alone. Hell ... one guy was a former Army Green Beret who served time in Laos and wasn’t afraid of anything. He was trained on tunnels and had no issue going into VC tunnels as small as the coffin all while guys were trying to kill him but , for reasons unknown, he suddenly developed this irrational fear of confined spaces and went berserk in the mri.
Kinda wish the medicos could have a mock up coffin to do a quick check prior to sending you to the scan. Probably save a lot of angst and wasted trips

I feel a lot better now that I know I’m not alone.
Me too. I knew some people had varying degrees of discomfort/dislike but didn't know so many had the same "irrational fear" I do.

one guy was a former Army Green Beret who served time in Laos and wasn’t afraid of anything. He was trained on tunnels and had no issue going into VC tunnels as small as the coffin all while guys were trying to kill him but , for reasons unknown, he suddenly developed this irrational fear of confined spaces and went berserk in the mri.
Actually this sounds quite understandable. I can see developing claustrophobia in his case. In the tunnels he could shoot back, back out/have the outside crew pull him out. In the tube your options are limited
Kinda wish the medicos could have a mock up coffin to do a quick check prior to sending you to the scan. Probably save a lot of angst and wasted trips
Maybe / maybe not. I actually spent a few sessions lying under my bed a few days prior because I wanted to test myself. It's different when you know you can move at will or just decide to call it quits. You might pass the test fine and blow it on the real deal

Try again with sedation. It is not pleasant. We understand.

My MRI went OK but I have to admit all the sounds were very disturbing. Next time, I want some kind of noise cancellation (unless they are looking at my head.)

Please don't be ashamed in any way. This is normal. I made it through, but I felt like I was on the edge the entire time.

P.S. There are people here who insist on being 100% awake during colonoscopy. NOT ME! Propofol me. The same goes with MRI. There is no shame in needing some sedation.

I had an mri this year but it was of my feet to find circulation there. They had headphones that were put on before the procedure to kill some of the sounds, but you could hear some sounds on the phones when the mag field got strong, other wise the music drowned all noise out.

Me too. I knew some people had varying degrees of discomfort/dislike but didn't know so many had the same "irrational fear" I do.

Actually this sounds quite understandable. I can see developing claustrophobia in his case. In the tunnels he could shoot back, back out/have the outside crew pull him out. In the tube your options are limited

Maybe / maybe not. I actually spent a few sessions lying under my bed a few days prior because I wanted to test myself. It's different when you know you can move at will or just decide to call it quits. You might pass the test fine and blow it on the real deal

I think a real mock up putting you on a table , shoving you in a small tube arms pinned totally immobile would be a very accurate test. You would be as trapped as you would be in the real deal. But it aint gonna happen so.....

The final solution to hating MRI

If drugs don't work, get a pacemaker! You can't have a MRI with an implanted pacemaker. Problem solved. You can still have CT scans and Ultrasounds.

sedated mom each time but with her advanced dementia she still couldn't hold still.

expensive (paying out of pocket) & IMHO of questionable clinical value given her diagnosis.

sedated mom each time but with her advanced dementia she still couldn't hold still.

expensive (paying out of pocket) & IMHO of questionable clinical value given her diagnosis.

A bit of a thread derail but I finally put a stop on damn near every procedure that some medico wanted to do to my mom in her last few years. On every request ( demand) to do something or some test I asked 2 simple questions.... what will the test tell you and can you fix it. In virtually every instance the answer was something that couldn’t be fixed or relieved. They just wanted to “ know” . I saw no reason to subject her to anything that did not increase her quality of life and virtually ended all of these tests and procedures. Best thing we did for her in her last years.

A bit of a thread derail but I finally put a stop on damn near every procedure that some medico wanted to do to my mom in her last few years. On every request ( demand) to do something or some test I asked 2 simple questions.... what will the test tell you and can you fix it. In virtually every instance the answer was something that couldn’t be fixed or relieved. They just wanted to “ know” . I saw no reason to subject her to anything that did not increase her quality of life and virtually ended all of these tests and procedures. Best thing we did for her in her last years.
Exactly. If it doesn't change patient management don't bother running the test.

The one MRI I had I was OK.

But taking the tram in Palm Springs, I had to get in the middle of the tram and get on my knees. Afraid of heights.

The one MRI I had I was OK.

But taking the tram in Palm Springs, I had to get in the middle of the tram and get on my knees. Afraid of heights.

Yeah, I can't do trams either. Space Needle viewing platform? It slopes away from the tower. I had my back against the tower at all times. Squaw Valley tram to the top? Once I saw it I did not get on. Wife & family could not understand it

Had my MRI this am and took the eye mask. It was great! I was doing my deep long breathing I learned in scuba. Pretty soon I was channeling the Caribbean. I was zoning out on the instructions so I had to "come back" to the machine. While not relaxing it was pleasant thinking of all the places we had traveled to in the Caribbean

I've had 8 of them, & although I don't like MRIs, & prefer the open type, I also spent many, many hours piloting an F-4 Phantom, which is even more constricting than an MRI device.

Besides, no one is shooting at you in an MRI (I hope!).

I never thought I was claustrophobic before having an MRI a few years ago. I told them I didn't think I needed any sedation. I laid on the table and the tech slid me in. While he spent maybe two minutes setting up the machine, I was feeling somewhat panicky.

I finally told him to pull me out as I couldn't do it. Just being in that tube I felt really helpless in a confined space. It was really weird and I was really surprised by my reaction. Tech said he understood and it was not entirely uncommon.

He said I could opt for the "open" MRI machine at another location. I did that a day or so later. It was better seeing as one side was open, but I still felt somewhat uneasy under the tool hovering over my body.

Back
Top Bottom