muni bond tax treatment question

sonomaguy

Dryer sheet aficionado
I am considering adding a chunk of muni bonds to my bond allocation and wonder if an ETF like MUB would be the way to go since I am a california resident. Do I get full state income tax exemption from MUB even though the funds holding are approx 75% from OUTSIDE the state of CA?

Would I then be better off buying only a California based muni bond fund?

thanks.

To be exempt from CA state income tax, at least 50% of the fund's holdings must be federal and/or CA state or local bonds.

Vanguard has a good option, California Intermediate Term Tax Exempt, VCAIX.

I live in NY and I invest in ETFs for my muni exposure. I am in VTN and PNI. The CA versions of these ETFs are VCV and PCQ. Note that their yeilds are high mostly because of leverage so invest at your own risk.

You can use a state specific fund to get full exemption. For a "national" type fund they will give you a breakdown at year end as to what % of the dividends came from each state, or they should have that info available.

I live in NY and I invest in ETFs for my muni exposure. I am in VTN and PNI. The CA versions of these ETFs are VCV and PCQ. Note that their yeilds are high mostly because of leverage so invest at your own risk.
I think you meant CEFs, not ETFs.

Back
Top Bottom