Muni Bonds and index funs in maryland- which ones ???

Foodeefish

Dryer sheet aficionado
I need to purchase either muni bonds or index funds as we have NO debt and gross income over $250,000.

What muni bonds and index funds would you choose if you had 10 years to retire and in the 33% tax bracket?

Thanks

T. R. Price has a Maryland Tax Free (Muni) Bond Fund. I no longer live in Maryland so don't own it currently.

Grumpy

I need to purchase either muni bonds or index funds as we have NO debt and gross income over $250,000.

What muni bonds and index funds would you choose if you had 10 years to retire and in the 33% tax bracket?

Which one do you want to purchase? the muni bond or the index fund [I'm assuming to mean stock index funds here]? If you've still got room in your tax deferred accounts, I'd put the bonds in there, and use the taxable account for tax efficient index funds/etf's.

Vanguard has very tax efficient stock index funds:

VFINX [S&P 500 index fund]
VTSMX [total stock market fund]
VLACX [large cap index fund]

VTGIX [tax managed growth and income]
VMCAX [tax managed capital appreciation]
VTMGX [tax managed international]
VTMSX [tax managed small cap]

VTMFX [tax managed balanced]

on the MD muni bond side:

ewwww... Legg Mason's LMMDX has an expense ratio of 0.70%. TRP's MDXBX [int term bond] and PRMDX [short term bond] are cheaper.

If I had to hold both stocks and bonds in a taxable account, I'd probably go with a combo of VTSMX [total stock market fund], VTMGX [tax managed international], and MDXBX. But it really depends on what complimentary holdings you've got in tax deferred.

- Alec

An alternative might be to just buy a good national muni fund and pay the MD state taxes if the MD state funds all suck.

Back
Top Bottom