Music and Alzheimer's

O2Bfree

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This month's AARP magazine has an article on music and the mind that talks about some recent research into music's effect on the brain.

I'm thinking about adding a playlist to my living will.

https://www.aarp.org/health/brain-health/info-2023/how-music-affects-the-brain.html

Alzheimer’s is progressive. As more brain cells die, more of the past vanishes. Of all the attempts to hold on to memories in the face of this loss — through drugs, diet and exercise — music has proved to be among the most successful. Again, fMRI offers a possible explanation for why.

Listening to music, fMRI reveals, is (like memory itself) a full-brain workout; a wide distribution of brain structures light up, including the:

• Brain stem. Rousing classical music makes the pulse and blood pressure rise; soothing lullabies make them drop.
  • Motor centers. These are the source of the irrepressible urge to tap the toe or bob the head in time with music.
  • Language centers. They light up to a song with lyrics we remember.
  • Auditory cortex. This is where music’s pitches and tones are processed.
  • Emotion centers. Here feelings of yearning, joy, exultation, sadness, fear or loss are touched off by changes in the music’s tempo, pitch, volume; in the executive centers, thoughts and memories connected to the music are activated.
  • Visual systems. Think of how a dark and stormy passage of Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony can call up images in your mind of black and turbulent skies. Disney did it for us with “Night on Bald Mountain” in Fantasia.

This full-brain workout hints at why melodies and lyrics — particularly those from songs that have personal significance to us — have such a peculiar sticking power in our memories. fMRI scans reveal that such “auto-biographically salient” music is written into many parts of the brain — the movement center, for instance—not touched by Alzheimer’s until the very last stages of the disease. Music, by stimulating these preserved parts of the memory network, seems to reach into those areas of the neocortex, the brain’s wrinkled outer layer, to find those neurons that have not yet died off, thus triggering memories thought to be lost forever.

Fascinating. I wonder if music is "preventative" before the onset? If so, I'm in. I have an extensive YouTube play list for all occasions.

Mom had Alzheimer's and loved music right up to her last day. Dad would play classical music all day and she enjoyed it when not much else brought her joy. The local Alzheimer's society loans out iPods and headphones loaded with thousands of songs for patients.

Mom had Alzheimer's and loved music right up to her last day. Dad would play classical music all day and she enjoyed it when not much else brought her joy. The local Alzheimer's society loans out iPods and headphones loaded with thousands of songs for patients.

Reminds me of my grandmother. For her last 10 years, she could not speak. BUT, when my mom played hymns on the piano, grandma "sang" the alto parts (her verbalization was unintelligible.) She did that almost to the end of her life.

Just got home from visiting my mom who has Alzheimers. We sang Christmas Carols for about and hour and she loved it. She could remember the words to the songs better than I did.

Just got home from visiting my mom who has Alzheimers. We sang Christmas Carols for about and hour and she loved it. She could remember the words to the songs better than I did.

How wonderful! It's as if your mom is "back." I experienced these moments with both my mom and dad as they went thorough Alz. I still give thanks for those moments, even though mom and dad have been gone for 25 years.

The Glen Campbell documentary "I'll be Me" provides a very good look at this very subject. As Alzheimers begins to take Glen, he is still able to perform much of his music for quite a while, remembering lyrics and chords. Very amazing and unfortunately as is most often the is the case, Alzheimers takes him from us.

Not sure what platform it is streaming on, but well worth watching if you can find it.

That’s nice. Seeing the decline of someone so close is tough, and these moment are to be treasured.

The Glen Campbell documentary "I'll be Me" provides a very good look at this very subject. As Alzheimers begins to take Glen, he is still able to perform much of his music for quite a while, remembering lyrics and chords. Very amazing and unfortunately as is most often the is the case, Alzheimers takes him from us.

Not sure what platform it is streaming on, but well worth watching if you can find it.

Interesting. I resumed playing music a few years ago, especially learning new pieces, as part of my personal anti-dementia campaign. Also to maintain manual dexterity.

After his massive stroke, my brother is now highly aphasiac. Most of his words are gibberish and his vocabulary is about 50 or 75 words, even though he's 99% cognizant.

BUT put on the radio and he can sing and pronounce every word perfectly. Dr says it's because music is stored in a different part of the brain.

The same is true if you learn a foreign language later in life...if you learned it as a child it is stored in the same place as your base language. Some aphsiaics can speak their foreign language if they learned it later but unable to speak their native language.

Last edited:
Very interesting. My mother had could also sing gospels songs and remembered every word also.

I still like to just sit and listen to a CD, concentrating on the song and nothing else. DW never does this. Sometimes she has music on in the background while doing something else.

Back
Top Bottom