Music tastes as I get older

Historical Collection: :)
Total 2800

Attachments

• Collection.jpg
    Collection.jpg
    417.4 KB · Views: 10
...classic rock stations are too repetitive with the same old songs...

The two classic rock stations here are basically oldies stations with a limited play list...

All Journey, all the time... (Okay, throw in the same old songs by Boston, Foreigner, and Skynyrd...)

Rock (n roll) music is about my age (58+), and there's a lot of good music that never gets played...

I think if I had to pick a favorite artist, period, though, it would be James Taylor. While he still was on heroin. His songwriting sucked once he went clean.
:LOL: Though I'd say he had some great albums and some duds before and after. Hasn't been anything resembling great since 2002 IMO but we sure like That's Why I'm Here, Never Die Young, New Moon Shine (excellent IMO) and maybe Hourglass, October Road...

1968 James Taylor
1970 Sweet Baby James
1971 Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon
1972 One Man Dog
1974 Walking Man
1975 Gorilla
1976 In the Pocket
1977 JT
1979 Flag
1981 Dad Loves His Work
1984 SOBER!!!
1985 That's Why I'm Here
1988 Never Die Young
1991 New Moon Shine
1991 Live in Rio
1993 Live
1997 Hourglass
2002 October Road
2004 A Christmas Album
2006 James Taylor at Christmas
2007 One Man Band
2008 Covers
2009 Other Covers
2010 Live at the Troubadour

One thing that has surprised me about ER is that I don't really listen to music much at all, even when sitting in front of the computer or on an airplane where I have a great selection on my iPhone. I still enjoy hearing some of the 70's & 80's classics but I don't go out of my way to pull out the old CDs or even crank up the laptop.

:LOL: Though I'd say he had some great albums and some duds before and after. Hasn't been anything resembling great since 2002 IMO but we sure like That's Why I'm Here, Never Die Young, New Moon Shine (excellent IMO) and maybe Hourglass, October Road...

1970 Sweet Baby James
1977 JT
1979 Flag
1981 Dad Loves His Work
1984 SOBER!!!

And that's my list of favorites right there. I didn't actually know when he got sober, but it is funny to note that I was right in my assessment! :D:D

But I must say I do actually like That's Why I'm Here, the above notwithstanding.

Stuff I would never listen to in 50's, 60's and 70's.

Now being indoctrinated to the classics - Townes Van Zandt, Kinky Freidman, Gillian Welch, Iris Dement, Tom Russell, Ian Tyson, Amos Lee,.

And some minor ones - Willie Nelson, Emmylou Harris, Bonnie Raitt, and of course John Prine.

heh heh heh - :dance: But Buddy Holly, Ricky Nelson, Chuck Berry still have a place in my heart. :D

For a split second I thought the thread title was that you could taste music as you got older -ha! The medical posts have hijacked my train of thought!

Never dropped acid, but I've had reports from friends that it allowed one to "taste the music" (or see and touch the sound, etc.) Never that adventurous. YMMV

I was very much a Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Bad Company and heavy metal fan in additional to liking the less "metallic" bands like Fleetwood Macs, Boston, REO Speedwagon etc.
As I get older though, I find myself enjoying the easy listening and more laid back music over the louder more energetic music of my youth.

Which, it could be argued, just proves the old adage, "If it's too loud, you're too old." :rolleyes:

For me, "the day the music died" was the day disco was born. I haven't heard anything worth buying since, with the exception of some contemporary Bluegrass. Weird, huh? :crazy:

Tyro

Htown Harry said:
This is an issue for me, too.

The two classic rock stations here are basically oldies stations with a limited play list, and are essentially mirrors of one another.

You'd think one of them would at least differentiate themselves a little bit by mixing in a live cut, an acoustic version or a new release by an older artist.

"Rocky Mountain Way" and "Tiny Dancer" were OK songs, but they don't need to be played twice a day.

I will admit my musical tastes are mostly locked into the 70s and 80s. But your complaint is why I have pretty much quit listening to music in my car. It seems like classic stations play the same 50 songs over and over like it is this weeks new hot sound track list. There is an unbelievable amount of songs, even top 40 ones that have totally disappeared like they were never created. Plus there are infinite "popular tracks" that everyone played even though they were not a released single. Why are these never played on a classic rock station? Is it because some 20 something is in charge of the set playlist and doesn't know any better? There used to be a station where I would vacation that I enjoyed listening to. I mean they literally blew the dust off the tracks they pulled out from the vault before they were played as I would hear songs I hadn't heard in 20 years. Sadly the station is gone now.

I've noticed that my musical taste hardly changes when I'm in relationship and evolves when I'm single and partying.

I'm in my fourties. Used to be a metalhead, but these days I prefer electronic dance music.

I like lots of different music - 50s rock (not the stupid Patti Page stuff), rockabilly, folk music, blues, rock, singer/songwriter. I can't get into hip hop or disco. And I also love Broadway musicals and stuff from the 40s and before that. Really early blues and jazz. Oh jazz too, especially from the late 50s to early 70s. So in no order:

Joni Mitchell
The Pretenders
Janis Joplin
Sting
THE ROLLING STONES
The Beatles
Carly Simon
James Taylor
K.D. Lang
Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Doc Watson
John Hammond
Bessie Smith
Billie Holiday
Frank Sinatra
Steely Dan
The Bangles
Bob Dylan
Warren Zevon - never wrote a song I didn't like
Matt Anderson
Lucinda Williams
Blondie
Terrance Simien and the Zydeco Experience
Paul Simon
Steve Willis
Elvin Bishop
Cafe R&B
Rick Estrin & the Nightcats
Leonard Cohen
Jason Ricci & New Blood
Robert Coleman Trussell
Otis Taylor
Kate & Anna McGarrigle
Cream
Eric Clapton
Crosby Stills Nash & Young
Trampled Under Foot
Early Elvis, Carl Perkins, Buddy Holly - the Sun Studios stuff
and sooooo many more :)

Blues bands not to be missed that are playing now - they travel but here's where they are based and play a lot:
Cafe R&B - mostly L.A. area - a lot like Tina Turner, quite amazing
Otis Taylor - he's from Colorado
Trampled Under Foot - Kansas City
Terrence Simien - Lafayette LA - actually he does zydeco but it's fabulous
Matt Anderson - Ottowa? Canada somewhere

Have fun :) I love it all.

I might start a thread listing all the artists (by # of songs) on my iPod. I think we'd be amused at each others varied tastes in many cases. I have about the same numbers of tracks by Nirvana as Yo-Yo Ma just for a teaser...:rolleyes:

I might start a thread listing all the artists (by # of songs) on my iPod. I think we'd be amused at each others varied tastes in many cases. I have about the same numbers of tracks by Nirvana as Yo-Yo Ma just for a teaser...:rolleyes:

Too lazy to catalog all the vinyl, CDs, and mp3 whatevers, but yesterday I made two copies of my pics and music (I use a laptop for a daily driver, but have a desktop with two hard drives, used mostly for multimedia stuff). The pics were about 3Gb, the music 19.2Gb (about 5500 songs).

Too lazy to catalog all the vinyl, CDs, and mp3 whatevers, but yesterday I made two copies of my pics and music (I use a laptop for a daily driver, but have a desktop with two hard drives, used mostly for multimedia stuff). The pics were about 3Gb, the music 19.2Gb (about 5500 songs).
Understandable. But for those who have iTunes (or equivalent?), it's a simple cut-n-paste into Excel, and pivot table and you have it - literally 30 seconds or so. There may be simpler ways as well...

From a child of the 80's in a small city (Memphis), we were limited to top 40 and classic rock (and a little blues rock), country and 2 "soul" stations.

I grew up around a lot of people who listened to rap in the 80's, so I grew to like this too. Then came the 90's and rap became c-rap. If it didn't have 10 f words and talking about killing someone, they didn't play it, so I moved on.

Classic rock was my first love, Boston, L.Zep, Eagles, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Journey, Yes, Eric Clapton etc.

Then some mid-TN peeps introduced me to "grunge" and only go to hear what I bought as they didn't dare play this on the radio in the 90's.

Surprisingly, I found Sarah Brightman and Radiohead and Sarah McL. very nice to listen to.

Also got into listening to Country in the early 90's too. Not so much anymore, but it doesn't bother me.

I found Reggae on a trip to Jamaica, XM has a channel for that too.

Can't get into classical so much; I enjoy an occasional Broadway play.

Sirius / XM is my choice of listening and do all day at w*rk and on the road. I HATE commercials, so this fills my need there.

I grew up on the classic rock, Boston, Styx, REO, Bad Co, Billy Joel, Van Halen, etc. I still try and see Styx whenever they are in town.....

But I really enjoy the new stuff too, P!nk, Fall Out Boy, Phillip Phillips, Kelly Clarkson, etc.

No twangy country or classical though :fingerwag:

Ronnieboy said:
I grew up on the classic rock, Boston, Styx, REO, Bad Co, Billy Joel, Van Halen, etc. I still try and see Styx whenever they are in town.....

But I really enjoy the new stuff too, P!nk, Fall Out Boy, Phillip Phillips, Kelly Clarkson, etc.

No twangy country or classical though :fingerwag:

Yep, I like Styx and going to their concert next month. They always come every year, because people keep buying the tickets, and I am one of them.

Sorry folks, I don't even know what you are talking about when you talk about these "artists". I don't think screaming and antics on stage are music.

How about the 40s-50, big band singers, melodies and lyrics that can be heard, bands in the background -- plus lyrics that can be repeated in polite company.

Sorry folks, I don't even know what you are talking about when you talk about these "artists". I don't think screaming and antics on stage are music.

How about the 40s-50, big band singers, melodies and lyrics that can be heard, bands in the background -- plus lyrics that can be repeated in polite company.

Pretty broad brush there...

HFWR said:
Pretty broad brush there...

Have to agree with you, HFWR, most of these bands mentioned here are not screamers and don't do crazy things on the stage. If they did it was 30 years ago. They are just up there playing the hits, without much movement because their knees ache just like mine. These concerts from bands who were popular in the 70s-80s are getting more and more like attending a symphony. "Sit down" or "Shut up so I can here the music" are being yelled more often where I attend as we all get older at these concerts. I am getting to be one of those crotchety ones, too. After all, I paid good money to sit down with my beer and enjoy the music. :) Everyone has different tastes, so that makes the world go round. I told my GF we could skip Ted Nugent as opening act since Styx and REO will be playing a long time. Here reply.."That is who I really want to hear". So guess what, we will be there for all 3 acts.

And get off my lawn!

I've seen a few of those "screaming on the stage" artists from back in the day perform recently - that is, over the past two or three years. It's funny. The screaming artists no longer have the vocals cords so they just sing like everyone else, and the fans are all old, overweight and mostly fat. Most drink Metamucil instead of booze and take supplements instead of illegal drugs.

I haven't heard anything worth buying since...

Guess I'm going to have to modify that; we recently discovered Tim Minchin after seeing him portray rock icon Atticus Fetch on Showtime's Californication. He has a concert: Tim Minchin and the Heritage Orchestra -- we happened to catch (also on Showtime) out of curiosity, and IOO, the guy's incredibly brilliant and talented.

Disclaimer: Crude (and irreverent) humor and language
Tyro

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom