Music While Exercising?

SunnyOne

Recycles dryer sheets
One of my retirement goals was to resume my former exercise regimen....I had let it lapse (yes, not good, get it) prior to retirement.

So I have to start somewhere. I've started by swimming and walking more often and farther.

I walk farther and with greater enthusiasm if I can listen to music while doing so :dance:

Not that many years ago, I used to have one of those small iPods with a curated playlist. I clipped it to my T shirt....worked very well - but they don't make those anymore.

I can't see carrying my iPhone around in sweaty hands or strapping it to my arm.

What other SMALL device options exist? I realize I am out of my element with this question - but hey, this is where I am right now. :facepalm:;)

THANKS!

I have an Apple Watch, and can listen to podcasts with it connected to my AirPods, no phone required. Spotify is also apparently working on a update that will allow you to download music to the Apple Watch for disconnected listening, but that’s not available yet.

Apple Watch?

My wife creates a playlist, syncs it to her Apple Watch and then walks with Apple AirPods in. No cord. Nothing heavy to lug around.

The Apple Watch is quite useful for things other than music too. Since you already have the iPhone, add an Apple Watch.

Absolutely! I walk outdoors much better with music. In fact I kind of invented my own “walk dancing” and really get a great workout when I do it.

Apple Watch and AirPods is one solution. No wires. No phone. Watch is strapped to wrist. Watch also captures your exercise and even the route. Works fantastic. That’s what I use.

I have an Apple Watch, and can listen to podcasts with it connected to my AirPods, no phone required. Spotify is also apparently working on a update that will allow you to download music to the Apple Watch for disconnected listening, but that’s not available yet.
It’s easy to download any music you already own to your Apple Watch if you have it in iTunes. That’s what I do.

Last edited:
https://smile.amazon.com/Sandisk-8GB-Clip-Player-Black/dp/B00VXMY262 is what I use. I think this is the most like what you had. Early models had battery issues but my latest is over 3 years old.

The disadvantage is that it needs wired headphones. After a lot of tries to find something that stayed in my ear well, didn't crap out after sweating on them, and had good enough wiring to not cut out, I use these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003AIL2H4

I run a lot, like, marathons and longer, and these have held up well. I'm sure the Apple watch is a great solution but if you want something less expensive, this is what I recommend.

We use Sandisk mp3 players like this one when we need a device.

I have been slacking off with my exercising, and even quit the gym. At home, I play music on my laptop.

One song that came to my attention due to the death of Lloyd Price (the vocalist) earlier this year, is Stagger Lee. I can't listen to it without dancing and I'll bet nobody else here can, either. I keep the link to it on my computer desktop and play it probably a dozen times a day, when I need a nostalgia infusion.

I used a 2nd generation iPod Shuffle for years, until I apparently left it in the locker room at the gym and someone else took ownership. I loved that thing, the way it was so small and lightweight and clipped to my shirt when I did cardio in the gym or rode my bike. I've never minded using wired earbuds, and loved the simplicity of the device.

Currently, I'm using...a 1st generation Shuffle! I bought one in 2005 when they first came out, then sold it when I got a 2nd gen. My husband had a 1st gen that he stopped using, and it sat in a drawer for years, so I acquired it when I lost my 2nd gen. But I really miss my 2nd gen, so I'm thinking of buying another on eBay.

Last edited:
If you still have your iTunes library of music, and just need a new portable device, then you can buy used iPods from FB Marketplace, Craigslist or eBay. By the way, you're probably referring to the iPod Shuffle. I have a 32GB iPod Touch that is for sale :)

I agree with the other responses that switching to use BlueTooth earphones is the way to go. This will impact which iPod models you can consider, if you decide to go that route, since the older ones do not have BT.

An Apple watch does offer some other benefits such as counting your steps and syncing that information to a health tracking app. I don't use one myself because I don't have an iPhone and Apple won't allow them to work with iPads.

Reminiscing about the old 2nd gen Shuffle inspired me to get another one on eBay. It was $39.95. There's a bunch of them available around that price, depending on the color.

I found some generic mp3 player on Amazon a couple of years ago. Small (1.5" x 3.5"), and I can easily stick it in my workout shorts pocket or socks. 8gb, bluetooth for wireless ear buds, cheap (lightning deal around $12-$13). It gives me about 3 hours playing time and recharges in about 20-30 minutes). I load it with a custom workout playlist that keeps me moving and motivated during workouts.

It’s easy to download any music you already own to your Apple Watch if you have it in iTunes. That’s what I do.

Good to know. I do have old purchased music, but never really look at it anymore since switching to Spotify. For folks who subscribe to Apple Music, the Apple Watch may have better offline synchronization than Spotify.

I think a small cheap MP3 player with wired earphones is best as described in RunningBum’s post. However, I’d find a way to use my phone because then I could stream music. I guess a really cool option would be an Apple Watch with cell capability. Though, I like the wired headphones just because they’re less likely to get lost.

I would get a cheap ipod shuffle used and wired headphones. Always loved my shuffle. I still use an old touch for curated music in our older vehicles.

I use my phone and wired earbuds. My shorts have pockets, phone stays safe there on waljs, himes..stairmaster etc. I have lost a few earbud sets at times but at least cheap to replace.

Last edited:
Absolutely! I walk outdoors much better with music. In fact I kind of invented my own “walk dancing” and really get a great workout when I do it.

Apple Watch and AirPods is one solution. No wires. No phone. Watch is strapped to wrist. Watch also captures your exercise and even the route. Works fantastic. That’s what I use.

Have you seen the gal that does Prancersize?

I just use an Armband or backpack for my phone and I have aftershokz cordless headphones. They sit outside of your ears. Pretty cool.

cd :O)

Good to know. I do have old purchased music, but never really look at it anymore since switching to Spotify. For folks who subscribe to Apple Music, the Apple Watch may have better offline synchronization than Spotify.
You can tell your watch to download music playlists or albums from your phone music library. This doesn’t require a subscription to Apple Music, it can access whatever is already on your phone.

I discovered my later model Apple Watches had a large amount of unused memory so you can download a great amount of music is you wish.

Last edited:
I run listening to an Apple Music playlist on my iPhone. It can be a problem with the phone bouncing around in my shorts pocket causing continuous shuffling of songs.

I have an Apple Watch. Not too crazy about earphones in general, but maybe AirPods would work.

Does my Apple Watch need to be cellular for me to download an Apple Music playlist to it and listen through AirPods?

I ride my bike with my iPhone in a handle bar mount - Playlist works great. I listen to nothing while hiking.

A couple more thoughts. A nice thing about carrying a phone is that you have it in case of emergency, or if you somehow get lost, etc. There are lots of options to carry a phone in a waist pack or arm band.

Also, be very aware of your surroundings when using headphones. Don't play the music too loud, or consider using just one plug. I can think of two times when I came up from behind someone, calling out multiple times that I was coming, and scared them badly. Both let out a short scream and went into some kind of full body flinch. The guy had a louder and higher pitch scream than the woman. My point is, if I had any bad intent toward them they would have never known it was coming. Plus your ears help a lot more than you might think with hearing traffic, such as maybe a car about to turn in to a driveway you are crossing.

I run listening to an Apple Music playlist on my iPhone. It can be a problem with the phone bouncing around in my shorts pocket causing continuous shuffling of songs.

I have an Apple Watch. Not too crazy about earphones in general, but maybe AirPods would work.

Does my Apple Watch need to be cellular for me to download an Apple Music playlist to it and listen through AirPods?

I ride my bike with my iPhone in a handle bar mount - Playlist works great. I listen to nothing while hiking.
No. You simply tell your watch to download music from your phone when you are in the phone vicinity, and your watch keeps it stored for later use. Also works with podcasts. You don’t have to be near the phone to play it. I leave my phone at home and take off walking with my watch and AirPods all the time.

My Apple Watch is non-cellular.

I highly recommend the AirPods, either kind, for this application. I have both. I have used them during many vigorous workouts plus all sorts of positions due to yoga. They stay in. I don’t run. Plenty of posts on internet e.g. https://www.afoodiestaysfit.com/airpods-running/ Note: you can tap your watch to change the song rather than tap your AirPods while running.

Great with no bouncing phone and no pesky cord. Even walking both would bother me a great deal.

I always use in transparent mode and not super loud so that I can hear my surroundings.

Downloading music to watch. Doesn’t have to be on a charger. All my phone playlists can be selected on my watch. Tap the music icon on the watch.
https://support.apple.com/guide/watch/add-music-apd483798d11/watchos

Last edited:
^thanks. A friend recommended AirPods Pro. Amazon has them for $197 where apple has them at $249. But Amazon has none available. I need to call the apple store

The AirPods Pro fit more tightly in the ear. They have awesome noise cancellation. You probably want to turn that off when out running so you can hear ambient noise. They call that “transparent mode”.

I have AirPod Pros, which are great, but for exercising I use Beats X. I like that they wrap around my neck, so if they fall out it’s not a big deal.

And for cycling, I only have one bud in my ear so I can hear cars, etc, around me.

I usually listen from my iPhone, but I don’t have it physically on me. If I went for an outdoor run or somewhere I don’t want to carry a phone, I’d stream from an Apple Watch. Works great.

That’s true, the Apple Watch can talk to other wireless headphones. I guess it gets the initial Bluetooth info from the phone.

Apple Watch?

My wife creates a playlist, syncs it to her Apple Watch and then walks with Apple AirPods in. No cord. Nothing heavy to lug around.

The Apple Watch is quite useful for things other than music too. Since you already have the iPhone, add an Apple Watch.

Yep, this is what I do too.

I have AirPod Pros, which are great, but for exercising I use Beats X. I like that they wrap around my neck, so if they fall out it’s not a big deal.

I have yet to find any of these earbud type devices that does not fall out of my ear within 10 minutes at the most. The idea of losing expensive AirPods does not appeal to me.

I have a set of earplugs that I use for which I purchased rubbery plugs, that I compress and then they expand in my ear canal. They stay on most of the time. I also have an iPod mini, the kind you could buy a watch band with and use as a watch if you like. Normally, I play audio books, but at time some energetic music is just what I need to speed up my walking pace.

I have yet to find any of these earbud type devices that does not fall out of my ear within 10 minutes at the most. The idea of losing expensive AirPods does not appeal to me.

Both the Beats X and AirPod Pros come with different sized ear-tips. I’ve had good luck finding a size that works well for me, but I realize that doesn’t work for everyone.

I haven’t had problems with the AirPods falling out of my ear, but this is why I like the Beats X when riding my bike. If they fall out, they’ll hang around my neck instead of going down a storm drain.

Back
Top Bottom