Mutual Funds Ranked By Beta?

QueensFinest

Confused about dryer sheets
Anyone know a site where I can search Mutual Funds if they are above or below a certain Beta? I cannot find anything that fits my need =[

Morningstar does allow you to screen and sort by fund risk. Now a morningstar risk rating isn't equal to beta, although I suspect for many fund categories (e.g. large cap) it is approximately equal to Beta.

Anyone know a site where I can search Mutual Funds if they are above or below a certain Beta? I cannot find anything that fits my need
MarketWatch lets you enter up to 25 ticker symbols, and you can look at measures of risk, returns, fees, holdings for those funds

Beta is hardly a static measure.

I think you'd be better served by choosing an appropriate stock:bond (and cash) ratio than trying to pick an arbitrary, ever-changing beta.

Fund managers achieve beta by holding cash - why pay them a high ER to hold cash when you can do it yourself for free?

Beta is hardly a static measure.

I think you'd be better served by choosing an appropriate stock:bond (and cash) ratio than trying to pick an arbitrary, ever-changing beta.

Fund managers achieve beta by holding cash - why pay them a high ER to hold cash when you can do it yourself for free?

That's not the ONLY way they achieve beta.......:rolleyes:

Ahh I figured I'd draw you out of the woodwork :)

Exceptions exist.. but in general fund managers tend to be all stock heading into declines (ie, they won't consistently protect you) and build large cash positions that they maintain well after the rally starts (they lag in performance relative to indexes in upturns). Hence, difficult to consistently have a high 'beta', hence my recommendation to hold cash on your own if you need that protection.

You cannot participate fully in market returns without participating equally fully when the risk shows up. To suggest otherwise is wishful thinking and not well supported by evidence.

Back
Top Bottom