My Dave Ramsey moment

I look around at my neighbors with their big houses, 1.8 children, 2 late model SUV's and big credit card balances. I just don't know how they have to live that way.

Congratulations on your milestone. Zero debt takes willpower of all kinds.

And it sure is nice not to have to write checks to others every month.

Congratulations!! I reached debt-free status in August of 2017, when I paid off my 30-year mortgage in 15 years. I still remember the feeling that day! :D

Congratulations! We also paid off our mortgage early, in July. It is a great feeling.

We charge almost everything, but we do pay off our credit cards every month. It has been over 25 years since we intentionally carried finance charges.

Congratulations! Good for you. We paid off the mortgage in July. Like PB4, it wasn't a euphoria moment for us either. It was just something that I wanted to do even though it was not financially beneficial. I noticed this week that our Experian Credit score dropped by ~25 points. We're hoping it is just an anomaly.

Congrats to OP. I know the feeling.

Just a comment. We have had many "should I pay off the house" threads. But many of those are big payouts with others potential problems.

I read this as, after 30 years (or what ever) we paid off the house. That was our plan, and it felt good to have it behind us.

Congratulations!!! It's a great feeling.

We paid off the mortgage right before I retired... Made for smaller cash flow, which psychologically is easier for me.

I did acquire debt after that... 3 years ago took out a ZERO percent car loan with a 4 year term. Even that debt bothers me, even though it's a free loan, given the 0% interest... I've been making extra principle payments (rounded up to the next $100 increment) and it will be paid off very early next year. I know it's stupid to pay off a zero percent loan... but it really bugs me.
Agree with you on the 0% car loan. We had planned on paying cash, but the manufacturer/car manufacturer also offered a $500 incentive to take the 0% loan. So we set aside the loan amount in a separate high yield savings account with an auto debit from that savings ac to pay off the 36 mo loan. Whatever is left in that account after 36 months will be profit/earnings.

When we put in our hardwood floors, we were given a 0% loan credit card 1 year that I paid off in 11 months. I figured, why not??
When DW bought her new car in 2017, it was the first time in her life she did not have car payments, as she paid cash.

Congratulations! DW and I have been accelerating the pay down of our mortgage. 2020 has been such a strange year. Happy you are able to celebrate being indebted to no one.

Swanee

Yes, congratulations. Re "debt free" it is a psychological state, not just a financial status. While there are sharp-pencils who will argue that financially, some debt might be beneficial, I am with @Dtail. I enjoy the psychological state too much to mess it up with a sharp pencil.

It's not always a sharp pencil thing - we have the cash to pay off our smallish mortgage, but the cash is more valuable to us (from 60 - 65), to use it to help manage our income for ACA purposes. We can utilize this money rather than tapping our 401k account for some expenses.

Having said that, I'm happy the OP's happy. :D

Congratulations dtbach!!!
I think paying off our house was one of the most exciting days of my life!!
Debt-free is the way to be.

So happy for you!!!

Congratulations.

Note that Dave Ramsey does not allow people to go on his show and do the debt free scream if they have credit cards.

Way to go! Now start an automobile savings account for your next car with what you were paying on the loan so you can buy with cash the next time.

Cheers!

I financed two of my three last cars. One at 0% and the other at 0.9%. Given what I could earn on savings accounts and 3-5 year CD's back then it made sense. I paid cash for the latest car due to the current low interest rates on savings and no great financing offers.

Congrats on your accomplishment, dtbach!

Dave Ramsey is wrong about his advice to buy only growth stock funds but there is no better evangelist of the power of debt freedom. My purchase of his “Total Money Makeover” book in about 2005 has paid for itself probably tens of thousands of times. Thank you Dave! Our only debt is the mortgage and it remains an itch I’d like to scratch.

Never been a fan of Ramsey, not for what he "Preaches", I agree with a lot of it, it is pretty much mostly common sense. I am not a fan of the way it is presented. I think perhaps he takes advantage of those who are poorly off, and somewhat gullible. Just my Opinion, I could be wrong.

Never been a fan of Ramsey, not for what he "Preaches", I agree with a lot of it, it is pretty much mostly common sense. I am not a fan of the way it is presented. I think perhaps he takes advantage of those who are poorly off, and somewhat gullible. Just my Opinion, I could be wrong.

I equally don't subscribe to his approach but remember he is directing this toward people who are out of control with their finances to get control. His steps work for those who are in chaos (not tracking spending, relying on CC debt to meet monthly obligations, carrying more debt than they can service, no emergency fund, etc.). I think once you can get the basics down then different approaches work for different people.

I am debt free and happy to be so, although I think responsible use of mortgage debt makes sense. On the other hand, his view on leasing cars, spending more than you make, not paying yourself first, and not understanding the difference between wants and needs is spot on.

I financed two of my three last cars. One at 0% and the other at 0.9%. Given what I could earn on savings accounts and 3-5 year CD's back then it made sense. I paid cash for the latest car due to the current low interest rates on savings and no great financing offers.

Last month I paid off my 0.9% car loan from 2018 with VG Prime Money Market cash that is earning zilch. Totally debt free again!

wrt to DR: AA for debtors - no room at all for responsible use of debt. If you've "hit your bottom" debt wise, well then, maybe....

Last edited:
wrt to DR: AA for debtors - no room at all for responsible use of debt. If you've "hit your bottom" debt wise, well then, maybe....

I agree, his is a doctrine of No Debt. It’s also true that zero debt is a wise path and responsible use of debt is a wise path. If you think you have a problem with debt, then you probably do and Ramsey’s message and methods can help. If you don’t think you have a problem with debt, you probably aren’t going to be listening anyway.

I agree. I'm not going to listen to anything a guy who hates credit cards has to say.

Yep. Me three. Congrats to the OP. For me, real FIRE was definitely a higher thrill. I paid off the last house that was supposed to be the last house. Had been totally debt free a while, but then when we moved to this nicer home, I didn’t want to sink all that money in to a no returns earning house. It would have been more convenient to have more tax free money when dealing on this house, rather than empty some accounts then refill them after the sale closes. So I just put down 35% and invested the rest. No regrets. Got me fatter FI faster. Whatever floats your boat!

Last edited:
First, I'd like to say congratulations to the OP and other posters here who have paid off their debts!

I'm divided in my opinion of Dave Ramsey. I have a mostly positive opinion. He helps a lot of people who call into his show, and it's fun to listen to the "debt free screams". His baby steps, whether or not one entirely agrees with all of them, make for a clear plan, and it's oriented to help people who have been struggling with debt (which is many millions of people in the US). I have recommended his books and 9-week class to family & friends who have been struggling with debt, and at least one of the people to whom I recommended the class went through it and it transformed their finances.

But I'm not a Dave Ramsey purist. E.g., I have a cash-back credit card that I still use. I pay off the full balance every month so I never pay interest, but DR says one shouldn't have a CC at all even if one pays it off every month.

But the biggest area where I diverge from DR is mortgage debt. The rest of this post is my house loan story, which is more complicated than any of the others posting to this thread because I own rental houses.

DR says one should only buy a rental house with cash, never with a loan, because of "risk". But I wouldn't have anywhere near the net worth that I do without having bought rentals with loans. Buying a rental with a loan aka leverage is an opportunity to increase net worth over time by a lot of money. I started buying rentals before I heard DR's advice, but once I did, he didn't change my opinion. Yes, there is an element of risk, but there is risk in all of life. One needs a reserve for unexpected vacancies & repairs and a good cash flow, but if one has these things, a rental is a great way to increase net worth over time.

I bought my first rental in 2003, then acquired a couple more over the next few years. Then in 2008-9 when the real estate crisis hit, I said to myself, "This is the time to buy rental houses!" I was able to buy seven rentals for about half the price of what they would have cost a year earlier. I even took out equity lines on two houses I already owned, in order to finance the rental house purchases (which is also completely against the DR plan). When I was done buying in mid-2009, I had pretty much exhausted the cash and credit I could get. I ended up with my primary home and ten rentals. Of these, nine houses had loans and the other two were clear.

Since then, depending on the situation, some of these loans I tried to pay off ASAP, others I'm just paying off over the full 30-year term via tenant rents. I am trying to have less mortgage debt as I get older. On the other hand, I'm not doing the DR way of trying to pay off all mortgage loans super-early.

Two years ago (mid-2018), at age 55, I quit my day job and I'm now retired except for doing tenant management of my own houses. (I don't do my own maintenance repairs, but I do manage the tenants.)

I've paid off three houses since 2009. At present, my primary home and four rentals are paid off. The other six rentals still have mortgages.

Of the six rentals with loans, three will be paid off the year I turn 67 (nine years from now), which is also the year I can claim full Social Security. I currently clear about $55k/yr positive cash flow on my rentals, but when I get Social Security and have the 3 mortgage payoffs in the same year, that will give me another $52k/yr which will put me in really great shape for cash-flow. (BTW, I'm also using about $25-30k/yr which is about a 2% Withdrawal Rate on my money-type assets. When I reach age 67, I probably won't need to continue to withdraw any of that money due to the extra SS & rental cash flow. Although, "you can't take it with you", so I'll figure out some way to spend that money!)

But those last three rental house loans, two of the loans will pay off when I'm age 80, the other at age 84 (assuming I live that long!). These houses are my most expensive ones, and they get good rental cash flow but the loans are also the largest. From a cash flow perspective, it doesn't make sense to me to try to pay them off early. So for now, I'm just letting them run to their full loan term and the tenant rents are gradually paying them off. Maybe when I turn 67 and get all that extra cash flow coming in, I'll change my mind and decide to start paying down these mortgages faster. Or maybe when I get into my 70s, I won't want to manage rental houses anymore and I'll start selling off some of these houses. We'll see. But for now, I'm not going to do anything to pay off these mortgages early.

Between my house mortgages and the fact that I still like to use a cash-back credit card, I won't be doing a "debt-free scream" any time soon. But for those who do, like I said, they are really fun to listen to on DR's show!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom