My dilemma

Automatika

Recycles dryer sheets
Hello all, I am new to the site and have a goal I need some guidance with to achieve.

I am 50, have about $1.5M in investments, house paid off ~$300K, married, 2 kids on their own, no debt. I make about $80K a year and my spouse makes about $30K, she is about to leave her current job and look for another however. I like to think I'm FI, and could probably retire if I wanted to but I think I'm a bit too young for that.

I like my current job as an automation engineer pretty well, but I work for a company that has been downsizing quite a bit and I fear its days may be numbered. I really want to stay in the Nashville area also and there aren't any other similar companies in the area that I would care to work for.

I really love to travel, internationally and domestic, and have been able to travel fairly often with my current job and for fun. I have been trying to figure out a way I can do this as part of my job. I have looked for international sales jobs and there don't seem to be any in this area. Finding new employment anywhere is tough these days. I have considered starting my own business, but having owned one for ten years I realize just how hard and all consuming that can be. I guess my dream situation would be to do international automation consulting or project management but I can't see exactly how to get there from here. I feel like I have the resources that I should be able to accomplish this. The big advantage of working for someone else would be the health insurance, salary is not as big of a concern. Any ideas?

welcome. it looks like your portfolio is strong. what are your expenses? and what do you expect to them to be in retirement?

i'll let REW and/or Travel over tell you to run firecalc...

have you looked at consulting companies? i know plenty of automation engineers working overseas (oilfield related, not sure if what you do is anything related). the ones i know are in places you probably aren't interested in (think west africa) and most rotate 28/28. but a lucky few have scored jobs in nice places (think: thailand or perth).

Expenses

welcome. it looks like your portfolio is strong. what are your expenses? and what do you expect to them to be in retirement?

i'll let REW and/or Travel over tell you to run firecalc...

have you looked at consulting companies? i know plenty of automation engineers working overseas (oilfield related, not sure if what you do is anything related). the ones i know are in places you probably aren't interested in (think west africa) and most rotate 28/28. but a lucky few have scored jobs in nice places (think: thailand or perth).

My expenses are in the 50K-70K range, much of it discretionary. I've run firecalc for lots of scenarios and it would be pretty easy to retire within the next few years, but travelling as much as I would like to would likely raise my expenses too much. My field is controls, which indirectly relates to oilfield work. West Africa would be cool for a while, but I would really like to see a wide variety of places. Been to Japan, Korea, Austria but would like to see more of the world, including the less desirable parts as long as they aren't too dangerous... The 28/28 sounds great, I may look into it. I wonder if I could work out of Nashville? I've looked at several online employment sites but nothing very rigorously yet as I am still employed.

alan i think retired from something similar to what you do. he may have some suggestions for you and may be along in a bit.

west africa is an acquired taste. pick luanda/cabinda over lagos. my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom