My Goal: No more financial advisor rip-offs

Thanks...that's a new service to me, although it sounds much like what a notary normally does. I'll call my bank and credit union in the morning to see if they will provide the service. I'm with Chase Bank now that they've taken over Bank One here in Texas.

most banks will do the medallion sign. for your (my credit union and regional bank both do).

Just curious...reading through the thread....what is the overall expense from Vangaurd?

Jack,
That looks like the perfect thing for me or someone who is no longer subject to those horrible surrender fees, but it doesn't appear that it would get me out of that obligation to IDS. But that's good to know, for future reference, and I appreciate the info.

I did find that I am now to the point that I can withdraw 20% of my original investment without being subject to surrender fees, so I guess that's some good news, all things being relative.

Sam, you might want to call the Vanguard annuity people and see if they can help you figure out the fees you'd save if you did a 1035. It might end up in your favor even with surrender charges (are you sure there would be surrender charges?). I've always found the Vanguard folks to be very helpful. And not at all pushy.

It's a shame that salesmen can call themselves 'advisors'.

I hear you, Jack...salesmen disguised as advisors are a hazard to one's financial health, without a doubt. I'll bring this up on Monday with the fellow I've been working with at Vanguard to see what he might suggest. Right now I'm looking at $8000 in surrender fees, so it would take quite a savings to justify me moving it to another annuity company right now. But, who knows? Ameriprise continues to piss me off because of the way that they are over-complicating the transfer of other of my accounts to Vanguard with a combination of foot-dragging and excessive fees to release MY money. I finally had to remind them that I'm leaving about 40% of the money with Ameriprise UNLESS they finally push me over the edge in frustration and I eat the surrender fees and move on.

The only thing worse than a salesman disguised as an advisor is a salesman disguised as a "friend". :mad:

CJ

Back
Top Bottom