My medicare supplement plan F-HD-Ended

mf15

Recycles dryer sheets
Just got a letter from Geisinger Insurance they are ending supplement coverage. What a pain, was only paying $66/month.

Now have to start looking again, will have to study G and N.
Live in Pa where there are no excess charges allowed, so might make N viable.
But if get sick out of state that would be a problem.

Not happy.

Oldmike

Last edited:
Call Boomer Benefits. Let them do the work for you.

If I look right now on the medicare site,there is no plan N for myZIP code ,that is not good.
Hopefully for 2020 there will be one, or a G-HD,if it actually exists.
Oldmike

Am I right in thinking that since Geisinger Insurance is ending, that you will *not* be subject to underwriting as part of getting a new plan?

And that if you chose to change plans voluntarily, you may be subject to underwriting (and possible increased costs)?

-ERD50

Yes, as far as I understand, if you plan is cancelled you are not subject to underwriting.
Depending on the state, if voluntarily want to change you are subject to underwriting.

But it seems that G and N are not covered under guaranteed issue, this is not good.
What is going on with that.

https://boomerbenefits.com/medicare-supplement-guaranteed-issue/

from the medicare site.

expandYour Medigap insurance company goes bankrupt and you lose your coverage, or your Medigap policy coverage otherwise ends through no fault of your own.
You have the right to buy.

Medigap Plan A, B, C, F, K, or L that’s sold by any insurance company in your state.

I see now that plan G is designed to be be under written.

Oldmike

Last edited:
from the medicare site.

Your Medigap insurance company goes bankrupt and you lose your coverage, or your Medigap policy coverage otherwise ends through no fault of your own.

Medigap Plan A, B, C, F, K, or L that’s sold by any insurance company in your state.

When CMS refers to Plan F, they mean both versions unless they specifically reference one version. So, you can get a guaranteed issue F-HD from another company like United American if you can't pass underwriting for G/N.

Some insurance brokers will not tell you this due to the low commission on F-HD.

The Pennsylvania Code
§ 89.790. Guaranteed issue for eligible persons.

(e) Products to which eligible persons are entitled. The Medicare supplement policy to which eligible persons are entitled under:

(1) Subsection (b)(1)—(4) is a Medicare supplement policy which has a benefit package classified as Plan A, B, C, F (including F with a high deductible), K or L offered by an issuer.

Reference: https://www.pacode.com/secure/data/031/chapter89/s89.790.html

For people over age 65, the guaranteed issue right applies to Medicare supplement plans A, B, C, F (including Plan F with a high deductible), K, and L.

Reference: https://www.tdi.texas.gov/pubs/consumer/medsup.html#rights

Ok been talking to medicare gov, and a few insurance companies. They are saying that after 2020 you wont be able to get plan F even if plan is cancelled through no fault of
you own. So I have to get switched before 2020. I wonder how many people this is going to effect.

So what happens if this happens again with any insurance company say when you are
80 and can't get through underwritting for plan G, you are stuck with a sub-par plan.
They screwed up when they wrote the new law.
Oldmike

Yes, as far as I understand, if you plan is cancelled you are not subject to underwriting.
Depending on the state, if voluntarily want to change you are subject to underwriting.

But it seems that G and N are not covered under guaranteed issue, this is not good.
What is going on with that.

https://boomerbenefits.com/medicare-supplement-guaranteed-issue/

from the medicare site.

expandYour Medigap insurance company goes bankrupt and you lose your coverage, or your Medigap policy coverage otherwise ends through no fault of your own.

Oldmike
Plan G becomes a Guarantee Issue plan beginning in 2020.

Ok this was my 3rd call to medicare GOV today. This time I requested a supervisor.
They know nothing about plan G having guaranteed issue rights or an HD Plan
for 2020. Go figure.

Oldmike

Ok been talking to medicare gov, and a few insurance companies. They are saying that after 2020 you wont be able to get plan F even if plan is cancelled through no fault of you own. So I have to get switched before 2020. I wonder how many people this is going to effect.
My understanding of the new law is that you can still buy plan F after 2020 if you turned 65 before 2020.

Yes that is what I keep reading. But the reps at humana,blue cross or medicare gov't either don't know what they are talking about,or perhaps stuff we read on the internet is wrong. I explained everything, had a supplement for years, now cancelled through no fault of my own. They say need to get a new plan F prior to 2020, or no go.
Oldmike

Plan G becomes a Guarantee Issue plan beginning in 2020.
Only for those who become Medicare eligible in 2020 or later as they cannot buy F.
2.What does MACRA require?
As of January 1, 2020, MACRA does the following:

2. Makes Plans D and G the guarantee issue plans for "newly eligible" Medicare Beneficiaries...

3.Who is considered a "newly eligible" Medicare beneficiary under MACRA?

MACRA defines "newly eligible" as anyone who: (a) attains age 65 on or after January 1, 2020, or (b) who first becomes eligible for Medicare benefits due to age, disability or end-stage renal disease on or after January 1, 2020.

22.What changes are made to Guaranteed Issue requirements?

Since two of the current guaranteed issue plans, Plans C and F, will no longer be available for "newly eligible" Medicare Beneficiaries on or after January 1, 2020, Plans D and G will become two of the guaranteed issue plans for these individuals. Current enrollees can remain with or buy Plans C and F and individuals who do not fall within the definition of “newly eligible” Medicare beneficiary will still be able to purchase Plans C and F.

17.How are enrollees in current Plans C and F affected by these changes?

Current enrollees (those eligible for Medicare PRIOR to January 1, 2020) can continue with their Plan C or Plan F and may continue to buy Plans C and F beyond January 1, 2020. Current enrollees will also be able to buy the new Plan G High Deductible plan on or after January 1, 2020.

18.What changes are made to High Deductible Plan options?

Since Plan F High Deductible cannot be sold to those "newly eligible" Medicare beneficiaries, a new Plan G High Deductible is created.

19.When can the new High Deductible Plan G be sold and who can buy it?

Plan G High Deductible can be made available beginning on January 1, 2020; "newly eligible" Medicare beneficiaries and current beneficiaries would be able to buy the new Plan G High Deductible.

Reference: https://www.naic.org/documents/committees_b_senior_issues_170201_medigap_faq.pdf
This information has also been posted in the Federal Register: https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...dards-for-regulation-of-medicare-supplemental

Last edited:
Only for those who become Medicare eligible in 2020 or later as they cannot buy F.

However, elsewhere on the Medicare site it says:
https://www.medicare.gov/supplements-other-insurance/when-can-i-buy-medigap/guaranteed-issue-rights

You have a guaranteed issue right (which means an insurance company can’t refuse to sell you a Medigap policy) in these situations:

You’re in a Medicare Advantage Plan, and your plan is leaving Medicare or stops giving care in your area, or you move out of the plan's service area.You have Original Medicare and an employer group health plan (including retiree or COBRA coverage) or union coverage that pays after Medicare pays and that plan is ending.

You have Original Medicare and a Medicare SELECT policy. You move out of the Medicare SELECT policy's service area.

You joined a Medicare Advantage Plan or Programs of All-inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE) when you were first eligible for Medicare Part A at 65, and within the first year of joining, you decide you want to switch to Original Medicare. (Trial Right)

You dropped a Medigap policy to join a Medicare Advantage Plan (or to switch to a Medicare SELECT policy) for the first time, you’ve been in the plan less than a year, and you want to switch back. (Trial Right)

Your Medigap insurance company goes bankrupt and you lose your coverage, or your Medigap policy coverage otherwise ends through no fault of your own.

You leave a Medicare Advantage Plan or drop a Medigap policy because the company hasn't followed the rules, or it misled you.

If you click on "your Medigap policy coverage otherwise ends through no fault of your own", it will expand to show the plan letters a person has the GI right to buy.

You have the right to buy Medigap Plan A, B, C, F, K, or L that’s sold by any insurance company in your state.
This is the list for persons eligible for Medicare prior to 2020. It does not include Plan G.

You may find this version more user-friendly: https://www.medicare.gov/find-a-plan/staticpages/learn/rights-and-protections.aspx
Guaranteed issue right situation...
#6: Your Medigap insurance company goes bankrupt and you lose your coverage, or your Medigap policy coverage otherwise ends through no fault of your own.

You have the right to buy...Medigap Plan A, B, C, F, K, or L that is sold in your state by any insurance company.

Guaranteed issue right situation...
#6: Your Medigap insurance company goes bankrupt and you lose your coverage, or your Medigap policy coverage otherwise ends through no fault of your own.

You have the right to buy...Medigap Plan A, B, C, F, K, or L that is sold in your state by any insurance company.
Do those remain the sole choices for someone enrolled in a Medigap plan which will terminate on 12/31/2019 and is selecting a new Medigap plan to begin on 1/1/2020? I believe that's the OP's situation.

As others have suggested, I would call BoomerBenefits.

Do those remain the sole choices for someone enrolled in a Medigap plan which will terminate on 12/31/2019 and is selecting a new Medigap plan to begin on 1/1/2020? I believe that's the OP's situation.
The OP is free to enroll in any plan letter (including G/N) if he is healthy enough to pass medical underwriting. A person invokes their GI right only when they can't pass underwriting.

If the OP has to invoke his GI right, he is generally limited to the plan letters listed or switching to a Medicare Advantage plan. As stated upthread, Plan F also includes F-HD but the list does not change for those already on Medicare.

However, once the OP talks to his agent he will learn that some companies are more lenient than the CMS regulations.

UHC/AARP Medigap Application: https://www.aarpsupplementalhealth.com/content/dam/EAP/PA_AARP_Med_Supp_Enrollment_Kit_B.pdf

Question 3B on PDF page 52 asks if the person is applying under GI rights. If yes, sections 4-7 (medical questions) are skipped. The medical questions are skipped for UHC even if the applicant has selected plans G/N.

As others have suggested, I would call BoomerBenefits.
+1000 (Or any reputable agent).

Last edited:
It would appear that one of the above is not correct.As I said in an earlier post
talked to medicare 3 times and 2 insurance co reps, they know nothing about
G-HD.
Olemike

Ok, after talking with Humana,Cigna,and IBX bule cross, believe will go with
Cigna for F-HD. The Cigna person really knew what she was talking about and they have a good price. The Humana rep would not stop talking about MA plans told her 4 times that had no interest, finally had to tell her I will not deal with Humana if she does not stop talking about MA.
Can anyone tell me why I would want a MA plan, I mean they look great 0 premium, some with drug coverage, but most have 6700 OOP.
Also remember for plan G medigap there is no HD plan, and no guranteed underwritting,at least for 2020.
Oldmike

Back
Top Bottom