My Quicken Subscription Just Expired, - Could not be happier with ....

Well, I have:
-2 checking accounts
-3 savings accounts
-5 investment/IRA accounts, including 2 custodial IRAs
-HSA account
-2 credit cards, one of which has 3 users
-1 kid in college, one in HS
-college savings accounts for 2 kids, one being drawn down

None of the above include the retirement, savings and credit card accounts of the new wife.

Yes, there is an argument to consolidate accounts and simplify other aspects of our lives, but this is about right for my life at this point. It will be less complex in a few years as the kids get older.

Well worth $40-50/year to get a daily snapshot of spending and balances.
It looks like it is worth it to you at this time so by all means keep it. I hope somewhere along the line things will become simpler for you. Good luck! I guess after one has been retired as long as I have one tends to forget the complexities of life for some.

And I'm lazy; over the last year it's off about 10k in two large investment accounts so when I get really bored I'll figure out what didn't download (I made some rebalancing sales and purchases in Jan/Feb so it's probably there).
Power to all of you who are willing to write your own scripts in Python for MoneyDance or are willing to monthly or weekly look up every account online! I'm lazy and it seems worth a dinner check per year so I can watch more baseball.

I can be lazy too. I didn’t switch because of the cost. I would have stayed with Quicken if they had decent Mac support a decade ago. Instead I chose Moneydance, mostly because they worked on all major OSs (even linux!). I figured if I ever switch OSs again, at least I don’t have to change finance programs.

Python support is newer, since originally they only supported Java extensions, which I didn’t care to learn. I enjoy writing code and now that I’ve written a few scripts, it’s pretty easy to modify them if I want to do something new.

But yeah, not for everyone. Personally, I’d rather write scripts than watch baseball! [emoji16]

I just updated all my accounts today in Moneydance, (beginning of the month) Took a whopping 5 minutes including reconciliation. I do not have stocks but do have a Brokerage Account and 13 additional accounts with credit unions not including the mandatory share accounts.

Count me as one who has been using Quicken since the 90's and absolutely love it.

Rarely have any issues.

Didn't care much when they went to a subscription model but I buy it on eBay, usually with an eBay coupon and get a year for less than $30 bucks. Plus I use an eBay gift card I bought as a discount. [emoji16]

Well worth it to me. I use it to track everything and it creates excellent reports.

Last edited:
I have been using Quicken since the mid-90s. It's a bit clunky but overall I'm used to it and satisfied with it. It's nice to have all my finances in one place. Sounds like my finances might be more complex then the previous posters. I have rental property and it's nice 2 have the functionality of saving an image of all receipts on their respective line items. This is a huge deal for me instead of having hundreds of receipts in shoe boxes that I would have to spend hous/days going thru at tax time. Until I get rid of my 5 rentals or find another money program with similar functionality I'm not budging. It's incredibly convenient. I can also quickly organize and print out all expenses on a schedule E for each property. Great feature. It's made life much easier.

When I a buy a hammer at Home Depot I am not required to contribute to the hammer's manufacturer ad infinitum. Quicken is simply a tool.

I worked many years in the software industry. What end users (and sadly, many managers in the tech industry) often do not appreciate is the short shelf life of software. Operating system updates, security issues, and interfacing with hundreds of financial institutions can make Quicken go stale very quickly, unlike my trusty Home Depot hammer. It's worth a few bucks a month to me to have someone to keep up with all this for some of the most important data I have on my PC.

My subscription only ran out a couple of weeks ago but they are really working on wearing me down. They are taking up a ton of real estate on my program with a yellow banner across the top and another notice that runs about 2 inches wide down the right side of the page. I've had to reduce the size of all my columns to still see everything. Worse than that, they turned off the ability to open my manual bank download. Right now I'm just mad about it however I have to admit the pressure is starting to work, I did actually look up pricing for a new subscription but did not bite because frankly I refuse to cave in to their bully tactics without a fight.

i find utility in both. I recommended Moneydance for a friend who only balances credit cards and does not care about the top level view.

I use quicken 6.3 on mac and use the Beta version. very happy with my lifetime file.

Although I'm not thrilled with the subscription model, I have used Quicken since the 90's and would feel lost without it. I watch for sales to make it more palatable; I found it for $20 in February.

I've been using Quicken since the 90's. I did NOT upgrade when they went to the subscription model so I'm still on Quicken 2016. I've been wondering if I should bite the bullet and upgrade or find a replacement. It takes me a little extra time to manually do a few things rather than download everything. But one thing I like is I know my data is in my possession on an external drive only used when I'm actually running Quicken and not on some hackable cloud. I know it's the way things are now. But I just have a problem thinking about all my financial data being God knows where out in cyberspace. Don't know about Money Dance, but I want a Quicken replacement that is a stand alone, local program. Yes, I'm old fashioned that way.

... I know my data is in my possession on an external drive only used when I'm actually running Quicken and not on some hackable cloud. I know it's the way things are now. But I just have a problem thinking about all my financial data being God knows where out in cyberspace. Don't know about Money Dance, but I want a Quicken replacement that is a stand alone, local program. Yes, I'm old fashioned that way.
Well, I think that train has left the station. All of your bank data is available "from the cloud" in the sense that it is on the bank's servers and available to anyone who presents the right credentials or successfully hacks it.

Re stand-alone, local, I don't think Quicken is storing copies of our financial data on their sites, but if they are, it is coming from your local
Quicken file irregardless of whether you download or hand-copy your bank data. Granted Intuit is a pretty snaky company and all the Quicken guys are the same ones who were at Intuit, so we can never be sure what they are hoovering up. We have no defense against this kind of thing regardless of which application we use unless the application is never allowed to connect to the internet. Which probably renders it inoperative.

Well, I think that train has left the station. All of your bank data is available "from the cloud" in the sense that it is on the bank's servers and available to anyone who presents the right credentials or successfully hacks it.

The difference is that all your financial data isn’t located in one place. That’s a big difference. It’s also why I prefer a standalone program.

Re stand-alone, local, I don't think Quicken is storing copies of our financial data on their sites, but if they are, it is coming from your local
Quicken file irregardless of whether you download or hand-copy your bank data. Granted Intuit is a pretty snaky company and all the Quicken guys are the same ones who were at Intuit, so we can never be sure what they are hoovering up. We have no defense against this kind of thing regardless of which application we use unless the application is never allowed to connect to the internet. Which probably renders it inoperative.

I have no idea what Quicken does, but protecting against this is easy: don’t use Quicken.

Just because it connects to the Internet doesn’t mean it can’t be safe. Of course app developers can lie, etc. I use Moneydance and I’m not at all concerned that they’re somehow looking at or collecting my data, at least not in current versions of their product.

I'm a longtime Quicken user. Not too much of a fan but it works.

I worry a bit that MoneyDance may die, but I do like their model more. Just can't justify the time to try it.

My first and best loved financial software was MoneyCounts. They got bought out and now trying to be all things to all people has made Quicken very bloated in my view.

The subscription model does not help but it also not a huge issue.

I worry a bit that MoneyDance may die, but I do like their model more. Just can't justify the time to try it.

That’s a valid concern. I went through this with MS Money. If Moneydance is gone, then I’d keep running the final version, which as long as the OS keeps support, should work fine. I also have full data access using their APIs, so no issues in updating any data in Moneydance (stock quotes, transactions, etc).

But I hope this doesn’t happen for a long time.

That’s part of the reason I have no issues paying for the occasional upgrade. I want them to have a viable business.

I switched to just using an Excel workbook for personal money when MS Money died. Sheets for upcoming bills, NW tracking, saving, and eventual withdrawal etc. Investment updates by manual CSV copy & paste. It does all the tracking, modeling, rebalancing calcs I need. I'm addicted to the flexibility and don't think I could go back.

Still use QuickBooks, online with a sub, for the sole proprietor business books, but that's mostly to simplify communication with my accountant.

That’s a valid concern. I went through this with MS Money. If Moneydance is gone, then I’d keep running the final version, which as long as the OS keeps support, should work fine. I also have full data access using their APIs, so no issues in updating any data in Moneydance (stock quotes, transactions, etc).

But I hope this doesn’t happen for a long time.

That’s part of the reason I have no issues paying for the occasional upgrade. I want them to have a viable business.

I continued with MoneyCounts unsupported. Then I had a problem, data corrupted somehow. no support. Lost all my data.

I've been using Quicken since the 90's. I did NOT upgrade when they went to the subscription model so I'm still on Quicken 2016. I've been wondering if I should bite the bullet and upgrade or find a replacement. It takes me a little extra time to manually do a few things rather than download everything. But one thing I like is I know my data is in my possession on an external drive only used when I'm actually running Quicken and not on some hackable cloud. I know it's the way things are now. But I just have a problem thinking about all my financial data being God knows where out in cyberspace. Don't know about Money Dance, but I want a Quicken replacement that is a stand alone, local program. Yes, I'm old fashioned that way.

Upgrading to the subscription version of Quicken does not cause your financial data to be stored in the cloud. The software is still locally installed and it still uses the same data file you've always used and you can still keep that data file on an external drive. You do have to create a login at Quicken.com and that is what is used to validate your subscription when you use the software.

If you did want to use Quicken's cloud applications to enter transactions from their phone or tablet apps and keep everything sync'ed with your local file, then you'd have to go into the Quicken settings and turn that feature on and then wait for it to upload your data. It's not something that can happen accidentally.

If you did want to use Quicken's cloud applications to enter transactions from their phone or tablet apps and keep everything sync'ed with your local file, then you'd have to go into the Quicken settings and turn that feature on and then wait for it to upload your data. It's not something that can happen accidentally.

One note on this. I did actually have this happen. I added an account manually and didn't realize that either that action, or the latest update, changed my settings to sync. I was happily working through the steps and the final OK started the sync process (never happened before). I went into settings and shut it back off, but just wanted to warn people that sync can turn on without you doing it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom