My Social Security benefits say...

Big problem with it:

If you select the option to "add a new estimate" so that you can select an early retirement age, it says "If you select an age prior to 62, we will estimate your benefits starting at age 62." And even if you enter age 62 or later, it calculates your benefit based on receiving benefits beginning the year that you stop working. You can NOT figure retiring early and delaying SS benefits past age 62 with that calculator, which is an issue on an early retirement forum where many people plan to stop working before age 62 and delay benefits until later into their 60's or age 70 to get a larger benefit.

There's only one field to enter your average future income, so you would not want to enter zeros unless you were not earning any additional income ever. There's no year by year option.

The two options I provided earlier do not have that limitation. I can easily enter that I'll stop working in my 50's and not take SS benefits until age 67, for example. Once you login to ssa.gov, the copy / paste takes only a few seconds - it copies all of your history at once.

I am expecting no further earned income for me subject to SS withholding, so entering zero for earnings works for me with any start age.
Understand your point.

Big problem with it:

If you select the option to "add a new estimate" so that you can select an early retirement age, it says "If you select an age prior to 62, we will estimate your benefits starting at age 62." And even if you enter age 62 or later, it calculates your benefit based on receiving benefits beginning the year that you stop working. You can NOT figure retiring early and delaying SS benefits past age 62 with that calculator, which is an issue on an early retirement forum where many people plan to stop working before age 62 and delay benefits until later into their 60's or age 70 to get a larger benefit.

There's only one field to enter your average future income, so you would not want to enter zeros unless you were not earning any additional income ever. There's no year by year option.

The two options I provided earlier do not have that limitation. I can easily enter that I'll stop working in my 50's and not take SS benefits until age 67, for example. Once you login to ssa.gov, the copy / paste takes only a few seconds - it copies all of your history at once.
The way I have used this is to enter the age I want to start collecting SS and enter $1.00 as the wage. It uses that $1.00 as future earnings and reduces the payment accordingly. Admittedly this only works if you plan to stop working this year. Otherwise, I have used the PIA program.

Back
Top Bottom