Mysterious Giant Sarcophagus Discovered in Egypt

Helena

Full time employment: Posting here.

Interestingly, the Hebrew Old Testament
was translated into Greek [Septuagint]
in Alexandria during this time.

Ptolemaic-Era Black Granite Sarcophagus Discovered in Alexandria

July 5, 2018

" A black granite sarcophagus was recently uncovered in the Sidi Gaber district of Alexandria, Egypt, reports Rob Waugh at Yahoo News UK. The most exciting part? A layer of mortar between the lid and the rest of the tomb indicates that the coffin hasn't been opened in 2,000 years, which is rare in Egypt where looters have picked through tombs and burials for millennia.

The ancient sarcophagus was found by local authorities during standard archaeological excavations conducted before the construction of a new building on Al-Karmili Street. It was found approximately 16 feet below ground. A rough alabaster bust of a man, likely a depiction of the body in the coffin, was also discovered in the tomb, which is believed to date from the era of the Ptolemies, the Greek royal family dynasty that ruled for roughly three centuries from 305 to 30 B.C.E.

According to the Ministry of Antiquities, the tomb is about 8.6 feet long and more than 5 feet wide. Mostafa Waziri, general secretary-general of the Supreme Council of Antiquities, says it is the largest sarcophagus ever excavated in the city. "

more info and photos at links

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...phagus-discovered-alexandria-egypt-180969551/

Mysterious giant sarcophagus discovered in Egypt | Fox News

Way cool! I recall going through the King Tut traveling exhibition (in two different US cities!) Ancient history is fascinating. I will try to follow this story as it develops.

Egypt fascinates me too. I recently saw an interesting documentary about the little known female pharaoh, Hatshepsut. She ruled a thousand years before the Greeks took over.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatshepsut

Last edited:

Interestingly, the Hebrew Old Testament
was translated into Greek [Septuagint]
in Alexandria during this time.

Ptolemaic-Era Black Granite Sarcophagus Discovered in Alexandria

July 5, 2018

" A black granite sarcophagus was recently uncovered in the Sidi Gaber district of Alexandria, Egypt, reports Rob Waugh at Yahoo News UK. The most exciting part? A layer of mortar between the lid and the rest of the tomb indicates that the coffin hasn't been opened in 2,000 years, which is rare in Egypt where looters have picked through tombs and burials for millennia.

The ancient sarcophagus was found by local authorities during standard archaeological excavations conducted before the construction of a new building on Al-Karmili Street. It was found approximately 16 feet below ground. A rough alabaster bust of a man, likely a depiction of the body in the coffin, was also discovered in the tomb, which is believed to date from the era of the Ptolemies, the Greek royal family dynasty that ruled for roughly three centuries from 305 to 30 B.C.E.

According to the Ministry of Antiquities, the tomb is about 8.6 feet long and more than 5 feet wide. Mostafa Waziri, general secretary-general of the Supreme Council of Antiquities, says it is the largest sarcophagus ever excavated in the city. "

more info and photos at links

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...phagus-discovered-alexandria-egypt-180969551/

Mysterious giant sarcophagus discovered in Egypt | Fox News

interesting shape compared to the examples in the British Museum , i wonder if this was hand carved in the inside as well .

this might inspire history buffs to visit when in the UK
( allow several days for this section , i spent close to a week in this dept in 1990 )

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom