Need a little hand holding

hotwired

Recycles dryer sheets
Well...as many of you, I'm down a lot. from 325 to 250 in a week in my tIRA, 70 from 105 in my ROTH. For a year or more I've been "meaning" to just hang up doing any buying of individual securitiies and put all my funds in a 3-4 fund balanced index portfolio, or even Wellington or Wellesley. I'm 54, 1.1M portfolio, and a RE investment portfolio that pays our living income so I don't need to (maybe ever) touch our retirement porfolio outside of RMDs but I'm still sick to my stomach over my performance. Lots of guilt. I've done a poor job being a good steward of my family's finances and I'm a little ashamed. Normally I know, "just hold on" but I have a few positions I was wondering if I could get your opinions on? Some have tanked 80% and show little sign of slowing. They're high yielding and I got caught up in a couple of high income gurus from Seeking Alpha and CEF Connect.

Only one MLP which of course got clobbered with oil's drop, but a few BDCs, REITS, mREITS, preferred's etc. I think the preferred are safe and will come back, like 2008-9 when they unexpectedly went down like the rest of the market, but the BDCs etc. I don't know. If I thought the best thing to do was to leave it all alone and just come back in a few weeks, I would do that. I wish I could go back in time and put it all in Wellsley like I thought was a good idea a month ago...phew!

Thanks. I know many of you are in the same boat, so don't expect sympathy. Just looking for a little perspective. I know I set things up too heavy on the "high income" side, and didn't properly vet the volatility of my portfolio. Mostly becaseu I had too many moving parts vs. doing what I know the vast majority of us should do. (i.e. 1-3 funds)

Attachments

• Book1.xls
    39.5 KB · Views: 9
By the way, the percentages in ORANGE is the % of that asset class to my whole portfolio. The percentages next to each issue is the percentage that it represents within each category (i.e. 44% of portfolio in bonds/income and vanguard short term investment grade is 12.7% of that 44%)

My only moves so far.
Sold 5K of BND and bought ATM put on SPY just to see some green (up 50% couple of days)
Sold remaining 10K BND because it went below 200 day MA and I'm uncertain as to what to use for my core bond fund. I don't know that BND is the right choice now. So no loss, I rode that up to the end.

Sold CUBA (long term hold)
Sold Riteaid (had decent gain)

Back
Top Bottom