Need advice regarding SEP IRA

SandeepK

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi,

I have a SEP IRA account and have about 40k there that I need to invest. I would like to know what would be a safe way to invest this money for a long period of time for moderate returns.

I have no idea where to invest it, I keep hearing the term 'Bonds' but don't really understand much about them.

Because of the economic conditions of the market, I chose not to invest it for last two years. Now, I think I would go ahead and invest it and would like to more about what are the options available for long term investments.

I will appreciate it if you can give me some tips/opinions.
Please let me know your thoughts.

Regards,
Sandeep

PS. Dear Admin, I am not sure if this is a right place to post this, please move it to appropriate section if necessary. I am new to the forum and could not decide where to post this.

Best: Take some time read books and learn about investing, then decide.

Second Best: Invest in Vanguard Target Retirement Fund (the one who's date matches your retirement date).

Psssttttt......Wellesley.........:)

Hi,

I have a SEP IRA account and have about 40k there that I need to invest. I would like to know what would be a safe way to invest this money for a long period of time for moderate returns.

I have no idea where to invest it, I keep hearing the term 'Bonds' but don't really understand much about them.

Because of the economic conditions of the market, I chose not to invest it for last two years. Now, I think I would go ahead and invest it and would like to more about what are the options available for long term investments.

I will appreciate it if you can give me some tips/opinions.
Please let me know your thoughts.

Regards,
Sandeep

PS. Dear Admin, I am not sure if this is a right place to post this, please move it to appropriate section if necessary. I am new to the forum and could not decide where to post this.

T'bone Al has a good idea. You need to get investment educated real quick. How old are you? Your time horizon means everything. If you are in your 20's or 30's you've got a long time to go and time is on your side. If you are in your 50's, maybe a different consideration. Me, I'm in my early 70's and have to sleep really well at night so I'm entirely into CD's at this point. Many people would say that I should have maybe 25-30% in stoc0k. Our life style doesn't require that protection from inflation.
Doubled our money money in stocks in the 90's and off our home in 2006. Now I sleep really well. Another thing to consider if you have the nerve. I still say that real estate is the best investment in the world. Buy some low priced homes, rent them out, build up equity and if you must, sell them later when times are better. If you play your cards right, you can really leverage your investment.

RE:

Thanks for the responses. Do I have to start reading the books or just some websites? Can you please give me a few useful links? I have to read a few articles but sometimes they would use language and acronyms that I don't know and then I lose interest in reading further.

By the way, I am 29, a software professional with a stable job and steady income.

Thanks again.

RE:

Btw, I do have some investment in real estate, its back in India. Made 35% annually for last two years.

Its the IRA account that I am worried about, the money is idle sitting there in the account.

Also, what happens with the money if I decide to go back without retiring here say in 10 years? Can I take it out?

Sandeep

Back
Top Bottom