Need advise on what vehicle

I have a 14 Forester and son has a 13 Impreza, both CVT. No issues. I wasn't going to get one until I tried my son's on my mountain road. It's like it's always in the right gear (even though there is no gear). Often regular automatics are either in too high of a gear to climb, or slam abruptly into lower gear. The Subaru CVT is "just right".

Oh, I'm not saying it is a crisis or anything. It is just something Subaru has acknowledged. Surprised you didn't get the notice of extension to 10 years or 100k miles. I'm close to 100k.

Attachments

• cvtextension.JPG
    cvtextension.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 23
Jeeps are nice and I have been around them haven't owned one but gas mileage is terrible.

It sounds like the Ridgeline would be a good one to look at for OP.

But if OP has a 4x4 truck now, why not just keep that for the occasional off road trip and then buy a small SUV-type vehicle for normal on road driving. Sounds like the truck is paid for and works when needed. Then the small 4 cyl SUV will save fuel vs driving a new truck around.

BTW, I am not a good one to say stick with one vehicle, I have several ranging from mid size SUV to full size trucks. Not to mention several old hot rod vehicles.

Very good point and idea. I'm at my ranch a lot of the time and if I'm not there I'm hunting, hiking, fishing just in the outdoors and want this vehicle for all this running around I do. Good on gas is my main concern. If I have to pull plow snow I got a 4x4 truck to do that type of work and travel.

Oh, I'm not saying it is a crisis or anything. It is just something Subaru has acknowledged. Surprised you didn't get the notice of extension to 10 years or 100k miles. I'm close to 100k.

I didn't get it because I have a 2016. If they extended the warranty to 10/100 then presumably they aren't very worried about a lot of failures.

I have a 14 Forester and son has a 13 Impreza, both CVT. No issues. I wasn't going to get one until I tried my son's on my mountain road. It's like it's always in the right gear (even though there is no gear). Often regular automatics are either in too high of a gear to climb, or slam abruptly into lower gear. The Subaru CVT is "just right".

I have the 14 Forester and got a mailing for extended warranty for both the transmission and the engine. (read on some forums there's an oil consumption problem)

This was the first year of a new design it seems and was fixed going forward. I have 30k miles with no problems.

My advice would be a Subaru Forester or Outback. I own a Forester but don't really go off road much, except to get to trail heads that occasionally are down some rougher roads. They get good gas mileage and have high ground clearance and good center of gravity. Get a CVT transmission so you get X-mode. Not everyone likes the CVT though. Those are certainly two models to consider.

I have an Outback and highly recommend you check out the Subaru lineup.

I didn't get it because I have a 2016. If they extended the warranty to 10/100 then presumably they aren't very worried about a lot of failures.
They probably extended the warranty because they have a lot of extra cash on hand and needed a way to get rid of it. I can't imagine it being related to an identified problem. :confused:

We have a 2014 Forester with almost 90k miles, no issues. When we bought it I researched all the other vehicles in the category and ended up with the Subaru because I felt it had the best proven AWD technology of the bunch.

Thanks much help from all. Interesting how it come down to just a few outfits.

The other reason that we went wit the Subaru is that I think it is a great value... you get a lot for what you pay for.

Back
Top Bottom