Need your advice on when to retire!

Absolutely do nothing for 2 weeks, then tell them you have reconsidered and will not retire. They deserve a good chain yanking. You deserve a severance package. I would definitely work with your HR person and let them know you feel pressured due to your age to retire and that your manager is behaving in-appropriately. Suggest they consider giving you an early retirement or you can request a change of reporting. I would force them to lay you off with a package. Shhhhh, loyal for so many years and then this? I think any reasonable HR would make you a deal.

If you don't give it a little fight, you might regret it later mentally. Its not about the money, its about fair employment practices.

Sounds like this what she wanted. I’m guessing you were a perceived rival or threat. Good on you for calling BS and pulling the trigger. Congrats and let us know how it goes both pre- and post-April 30. Must have been nice to dangle the mistletoe from your coat tails.

congrats Short Timer:)
I hope these next few weeks are blissfully unmemorable. To quote Bugs Bunny, your boss?
What a maroon!

Congratulations. This is the best thing that could have happened to you. Of course, being the smart aleck that I am, I'd probably still send a weekly status email:

Activities:
1. Researched how magnets work (it's a lot more complex than you think)
2. Nothing else really as significant as that

Accomplishments:
1. Found my stapler
2. Figured out what PC Load Letter means

And if you want to have even more fun, do what Happyras recommends. Given how you describe your boss, I'd probably do it for the sport.

Your boss and those around you are likely highly envious of you. Congratulations, you've made it to a significant milestone, and you should be very proud of yourself.

What I didn’t say before my first post is that my boss, on a Thursday, a few weeks ago, said, “I don’t mean to be a micromanager, but...” and then proceeded to tell me she noticed I send work emails after normal work hours and wanted me to start coming into the office 3 days a week to make sure I was focused (I’m exempt). I told her we’ve been working long hours long before the pandemic. I thought about it and sent her an email and told her I have underlying medical conditions and don’t feel comfortable coming into the office. She then said she would postpone me having to come into the office.

Today, she sent an email and said effective immediately, I’d like for you to send me a daily update that summarizes your accomplishments for that day. It can be a bulleted list of items. Please include the approximate amount of time that you spent on each task.

I’m not in second grade.

Wow, talk about micromanaging!! It makes me wonder what set her off like that?!
What does she do all day long then? Reads everyone's daily accomplishments and keeps bitching? I don't think she has an outlet to get her steam off outside her work, IMO.

Congrats on your retirement! You made it far already...

Is there any chance your boss did this to nudge you out? If so, you might be making it too easy on her. You deserve a package after all those years.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom