Netflix movie or show suggestion

I started watching Marcella a few nights ago. Well done. Those Brits...

I liked the somewhat similar Happy Valley more. Marcella introduces many characters that appear only briefly for plot lines that go nowhere, actors that look confusingly like others, as well as major plot elements that are left unanswered and therefore appear to be significant plot holes.

"I liked the somewhat similar Happy Valley more."

I love Happy Valley. We also love Scott and Bailey, written by the same author. It has 4 seasons on Hulu, and you may be able to find it on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I liked the somewhat similar Happy Valley more. Marcella introduces many characters that appear only briefly for plot lines that go nowhere, actors that look confusingly like others, as well as major plot elements that are left unanswered and therefore appear to be significant plot holes.

I pay very little for the streaming services, and can tolerate shows that are less than award winners. I am not sure if this one has future seasons.

You could spring for a Roku (worth it, IMHO) - it shows the streaming sources (at least the ones it has knowledge of - 20 of them right now, all of the biggies) of your search terms (title, actor, etc.) and how much it costs, or if free, on each.

dev-1024x576.jpg

When I unpacked roku and saw the Netflix and Amazon buttons on the remote...

Plus 1.September 23rd I believe 😊

Sent from my LGL34C using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Last Chance U

At the recommendation off the blog of our local newspaper, I started watching Last Chance U. Kind of interesting.

It's a documentary series on a successful southern junior college football program that recruits division 1 type players that have run into problems with their big name programs. This school (one of many) is kind of their last shot at getting back to a division 1 program to continue their dreams of a professional career. It's kind of a football version of Hoop Dreams.

Season Three of Black Mirror will be coming to Netflix on Oct 21st! I can't wait! Surely one of the most compelling yet totally creepy things I've ever watched. Each episode is a standalone so you can pick and choose. Definitely skip the gross royal one with the pig, and the best one of the earlier seasons is White Christmas.

Genius on Hold - documentary about the inventor of many popular telephone features, such as conference calling, and his invention rights battles with the Bell System. Contains a fair bit of corporate bashing, for example it tells only the inventor's side of the story, but about 1/3rd in the narrative takes off via an unexpected and fascinating twist. Left me curious to learn more.

Just watched "The Reader" on Amazon Prime (based on the book "Der Vorleser"). Stars Kate Winslett & Ralph Fiennes. I'd definitely recommend it. It has some weighty issues and personal struggles in it, and is set in a very interesting time and place.

If one is interested in crime / detection shows, many of the European series are very good. Each series is about 6-9 episodes although "The Fall" is longer.

I think these are Netflix originals.
Marcella - UK
The Fall - Northern Ireland?
Case - Iceland
Paranoia - UK and Germany
Dicte - Denmark

I don't think this one is a Netflix original

Witnesses - France

If one is interested in crime / detection shows, many of the European series are very good. Each series is about 6-9 episodes although "The Fall" is longer.

I think these are Netflix originals.
Marcella - UK
The Fall - Northern Ireland?
Case - Iceland
Paranoia - UK and Germany
Dicte - Denmark

I don't think this one is a Netflix original

Witnesses - France

I'm currently watching 'The Fall', and it's good. But, I can't help thinking that it's a thinly veiled redo of 'Prime Suspect'. And, for me, it's difficult to outdo Helen Mirren.

Here are a few we liked from Netflix:

The Assets - about the catching of a mole within CIA (based on true story)
Detectorists - understated British humor
The IT Crowd - older show about some techies in a UK business environment
Glitch - in small Australian town people start emerging from graves
Doctor Foster - is the husband cheating on the doc or not?

Midnight Diner, Tokyo stories (I watched one so far, DW abstained)

I haven't seen Prime Suspect w Helen Mirren but a quick Google summary shows significant story similarities to "The Fall", like you said, Huston55.

I haven't seen Prime Suspect w Helen Mirren but a quick Google summary shows significant story similarities to "The Fall", like you said, Huston55.
The Fall is awesome. Gruesome but awesome. Gillian Anderson is amazing.

We just started season 3. Season 1 and 2 terrific.

Been watching Netflix original Sense8 - Wow!

Feel like a spectator. Very mysterious at first. Slow reveal. Multicultural. Fascinating.

Have watched the first two of ten episodes of Santa Clarita Diet, another Netflix original series--lighthearted gruesome black comedy, Timothy Olyphant (swoon) carrying the show with Drew Barrymore. The kind of show that really doesn't need to run more than one season.

Have watched the first two of ten episodes of Santa Clarita Diet, another Netflix original series--lighthearted gruesome black comedy, Timothy Olyphant (swoon) carrying the show with Drew Barrymore. The kind of show that really doesn't need to run more than one season.

Episode 1 was more than I could handle!

If Olyphant was not in it I wouldn't watch it, but fortunately the second episode isn't quite as graphic so I'm hoping the shock shtick will continue to diminish. DH loves the gore so
he's fine with it.

If Olyphant was not in it I wouldn't watch it, but fortunately the second episode isn't quite as graphic so I'm hoping the shock shtick will continue to diminish. DH loves the gore so
he's fine with it.

Yeah, the graphic parts were pretty bad, but it was the stupidity that ultimately got to me and made me decide no más!

I can see how some might find it uproariously funny.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom