New ACA Subsidy In Relief Package?

<mod note> Let’s please move on from the politics.

Just read an article that stated that healthcare.gov will be ready April 1 for you to make changes to your status/income, etc. You have to do this in April in order to get the new subsidy. If you don't, your premium will remain the same and you will get reimbursed at tax time. For states that dont use the national exchange, you will have to wait for guidance from them.
https://thehill.com/policy/healthca...will-become-available-april-1-biden-officials

Last edited:
What is the family glitch?

Not the person you asked, but I believe it is the fact that whether an employer's coverage is considered affordable is based only on the cost to cover the employee as a percentage of the employee's AGI, even if that employee has a family that they want to cover.

A person can only decline their employer's coverage and qualify for ACA coverage if their employer's coverage is unaffordable, so there are some people who have families and consider their employer's family coverage unaffordable but do not qualify for ACA coverage because of the way the rule works.

Not the person you asked, but I believe it is the fact that whether an employer's coverage is considered affordable is based only on the cost to cover the employee as a percentage of the employee's AGI, even if that employee has a family that they want to cover.

A person can only decline their employer's coverage and qualify for ACA coverage if their employer's coverage is unaffordable, so there are some people who have families and consider their employer's family coverage unaffordable but do not qualify for ACA coverage because of the way the rule works.

Example from my last j**: employee makes $30k per year. We paid all but $100 a month for single coverage. Therefore, coverage is affordable per ACA. Spouse, who made maybe $20k per year, would have to pay $700 a month for coverage. This is over 40% of pay, but because you only do the calculation on employee, spouse is not eligible for ACA. Hence, the family glitch.

yep, on spouse' plan coverage for all family members (employee premium) is closing in on $1,000/month, and that's for a high-deductible plan with the lowest premium.

it would cost us a fraction of that on the ACA were it not for the "family glitch."

yep, on spouse' plan coverage for all family members (employee premium) is closing in on $1,000/month, and that's for a high-deductible plan with the lowest premium.

it would cost us a fraction of that on the ACA were it not for the "family glitch."

OK yes I know about because it happened to a friend of mine. Her DH was on her plan and with two paychecks a month one entire paycheck went for HI.

Back
Top Bottom