new car remotes.

frank

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I got my new rav4 yesterday and it came with two transponder keys. the dealer says replacement cost for these keys is 400 each. I was wondering if there is any kind of tracker or even any old style tag that people put on their keys to be able to find them or have the person who found them contact you? just curious as to what people do to avoid loosing or if lost recover these very expensive keys.

You could get an Apple Airtag for about $25 and put it on your key ring.

Tile is the Android equivalent to Airtags if you are not an Apple user.

Must be dealer pricing since I "think" replacement key FOB's are much cheaper than that. But I've never had to buy or program one. Also, I'm not aware of any trackers that are built in. I'm sure there are probably "exceptions".

Last edited:
Do some searching, but IIRC the $400 range is for if you lose both. If you have one, I think you can get a more generic replacement and get it programmed with access from the other fob?

UPDATE: Yep -

https://www.autozone.com/electrical...keyless-entry-transmitter-088-6500/556901_0_0
Remotes Unlimited Keyless Entry Transmitter 088-6500

Part # 088-6500
SKU # 556901
$74.99

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
New high-quality replacement remote transmitter from Remotes Unlimited, the leader in replacement remotes with excellent product selection and technical support.

checkmark
GM OEM Part
checkmark
Battery and free phone technical support included
checkmark
Lock - Unlock - Remote Start - Panic - Key Release
checkmark
Self-programming requires a previously programmed remote and working key - dealership or locksmith must cut new key blade if so desired

-ERD50

Last edited:
I guess I wouldn’t worry about it. How often do you lose your keys/key fob? Also, while spending $400 would not make me happy, my guess is that it could be replaced for less. If not, $400 isn’t going to hurt too bad. Just go on with your day to day and don’t lose your keys. On thing I do is have a specific place I set my keys at the end of the day. Habit can help with misplacing things.

^^^^^
Not sure I ever own one long enough for the battery to die.:LOL:

^^^^^
That would be a long time for me to own a car these days.

We put one in our safe. Still have the other one, never lost it.

Our son was a chronic loser of his key. He was able to get a new fob from a local locksmith. Just had to show drivers license, car registration to prove ownership.
He finally got the tile, hasn't misplaced it since.

Not sure I ever own one long enough for the battery to die.:LOL:

For those of us who keep cars a long time, the modern key fobs drain the batteries in 2 or 3 years, because they are constantly transmitting a signal. The old ones only transmitted when the button was pressed.

Another interesting thing about car key FOB's are hidden features. (Not really secrets but not obvious either). Check related car forums for FOB discussions for features your FOB may have. One of the most common is opening all the windows on your car by pressing the right buttons in a certain sequence. Navigation systems often have some interesting "undocumented" features too.

Also find out how to start your car if your FOB battery dies. There are a number of solutions, depending on your cars year/make/model. It may be a good idea to know the option(s) for your car before an emergency. :)

Enjoy!

Last edited:
I use Apple air tags for my Rav 4 key fob, golf bag, camera bag and the Rav itself.

Mine never leaves my pants pocket, so I can't imagine ever losing it.

I have never lost one, but I have jumped in the pool with it in my pocket:facepalm:

Fortunately, I knew right away, opened it up to let it dry out, and it worked fine for many more years.

Not sure about your Rav4 but some cars allow you to program a cheaper blank remote if you have BOTH original remotes. Check YouTube to find out.

I guess I wouldn’t worry about it. How often do you lose your keys/key fob? Also, while spending $400 would not make me happy, my guess is that it could be replaced for less. If not, $400 isn’t going to hurt too bad. Just go on with your day to day and don’t lose your keys. On thing I do is have a specific place I set my keys at the end of the day. Habit can help with misplacing things.

Losing once in the wrong location can be a terrible inconvenience. My wife's daughter once did a stupid thing and lost it on a ski slope 800 kms from home and didn't find out until late in the evening when they were leaving. She was forced to call for a replacement on a Sunday night at 9:00 PM, and then had to wait over an hour for someone to drive out there.

But even if you don't lose it, it can get damaged and you can be stranded in the wrong place at the wrong time.

When we travel we take both fobs. Less likely to have an issue if one is lost.

When we travel we take both fobs. Less likely to have an issue if one is lost.

We do that too. One time we couldn't figure out why the trunk wouldn't close. Eventually we figured out that it was because my wife had her fob in a suitcase which was in the trunk and the car recognized the location and refused to lock it inside.

We do that too. One time we couldn't figure out why the trunk wouldn't close. Eventually we figured out that it was because my wife had her fob in a suitcase which was in the trunk and the car recognized the location and refused to lock it inside.

Yep, I ran into that with DD's car (the first in the family with that kind of fob), when she was packed up going to/from school, and I rode with her, riding back in DW's car. Had DD not recalled that she packed her key fob in her suitcase in the car, I don't think I would have figured out why the car wouldn't lock.

In addition to insisting that both DW and I carry a key/fob wherever we go, remember that if it isn't working, most have a physical key that pulls out. I had to use that recently, mine had been acting up, and finally one day just would not unlock the car. I had to use the physical key, and somewhere in the process it thought I was stealing the car (dash even said "Theft Attempted"), but I somehow got that cleared. Put in a new battery (I think it had the original, at year 7, unless I replaced it once w/o noting it), and it's been perfect since.

-ERD50

In addition to insisting that both DW and I carry a key/fob wherever we go, remember that if it isn't working, most have a physical key that pulls out. I had to use that recently, mine had been acting up, and finally one day just would not unlock the car. I had to use the physical key, and somewhere in the process it thought I was stealing the car (dash even said "Theft Attempted"), but I somehow got that cleared. Put in a new battery (I think it had the original, at year 7, unless I replaced it once w/o noting it), and it's been perfect since.

-ERD50

Mine also has a key. And even with a dead fob battery you can still start the car if you hold the fob next to the start button. It recognizes it somehow.

I guess my fob is always active and "searching", batteries rarely last longer than 2 years.

Also, did you know that you can 'turn off' the key fob so that the battery lasts longer and the signal can't be hacked?

I do that on my Toyota key fob when I get home for the day. Toyota key fobs have had this feature for a few years.

Check your owner's manual on the sequence of buttons to push (on my key fob: hold door lock button while pushing door open button twice). Then, you push any button to turn it back on.

Back
Top Bottom