New Car Warranty Question

Well, I guess we can differ on that. If the OP can afford a new car, then he can afford the very small risk of a large repair expense during the last 5 years of ownership.

Absolutely true. In the same sense that a lottery ticket can be a good value. If you win.

Exactly. The odds are significantly against the buyers but some do win.

I don't buy lottery tickets either.

What a silly comparison...OS do u know that even a smallish issue can cover the cost of your warranty. If someone wants to take a calculated risk and preset any repair costs on a car that's their choice. It's not always about "affording" But I think this issue ranks right up there with should I pay off my mortgage...:dance: people can buy or not buy..

Last edited:
Wouldn't someone who didn't buy a warranty have a vested interest in doing all the silly recommendations for service..ounce of prevention and all

I would pass on the extended coverage.

I probably wouldn't buy one because (a) it's a Subaru and (b) low mileage, which means (c) your warranty will run out because of time, not miles.

The other thing people might consider is that it's a hedge against disability or unemployment -- i.e. you can afford a warranty today, but a $1500 repair three years from now might be a bummer.

We got it for the diesel F-250 because ANYTHING costs at least $600 to fix, and we'll keep it at least until the warranty expires in 2027.

Do you plan on keeping the car that long? If you're a low mileage driver.

$2300 seems light vis a vis retail price -- is deductible manageable AND AND AND is it med level coverage - OR does its specifically cover the 'good stuff' expensive stuff.

****Who is the warranty company? Is it from the OEM? If 3rd party - are you happy with their finances.********. (NON-OEM warranties are higher profit margins - and cheaper retail price. Some are fine - others should be scrutinized on coverage and solvency)

If it were me - if I was gonna keep the car that long, AND it covered the good stuff, AND it was from a true mainstream provider - - and the new car was slightly above mid-range price....yeah, I would.

Oh wait I just saw you drive 5k miles per year. I'm sure you researched the car (Subaru - means someone has done research - lol don't ask me how but trust me I know this 100% as fact). If there's no glaring problems - then - its a coin flip. If I could afford an unexpected repair - no extend. If a $3k repair stresses my finances - then yes extend.

Money-Back-Guarantee

Just in case someone stumbles upon this thread in the future as they research the same kind of purchase.

At times - a 'money back guarantee' is offered. Let's say someone buys an 8 year/80k warranty - and there's NO repair needed ever. So for those worried that they'll never use the warranty (hopefully they aren't itching to use their life insurance but I digress:) .......at times they feel glad they'll get all their warranty money back. If that's being offered - put little stock in it and don't let that be the deciding factor.

*MANY of the companies underwriting that have gone away in the past.

*If the Dealership sells to another owner - he's got *zilch* liability or obligation for it.

*Oh and if you don't keep the car for the entire extended warranty period - no - no money back.

MK we had an extended warranty made one claim so were at even. Ended with time and miles left when we sold the car. One piece of paperwork and we had a check for unused warranty period

Do you plan on keeping the car that long? If you're a low mileage driver.

$2300 seems light vis a vis retail price -- is deductible manageable AND AND AND is it med level coverage - OR does its specifically cover the 'good stuff' expensive stuff.

****Who is the warranty company? Is it from the OEM? If 3rd party - are you happy with their finances.********. (NON-OEM warranties are higher profit margins - and cheaper retail price. Some are fine - others should be scrutinized on coverage and solvency)

If it were me - if I was gonna keep the car that long, AND it covered the good stuff, AND it was from a true mainstream provider - - and the new car was slightly above mid-range price....yeah, I would.

Oh wait I just saw you drive 5k miles per year. I'm sure you researched the car (Subaru - means someone has done research - lol don't ask me how but trust me I know this 100% as fact). If there's no glaring problems - then - its a coin flip. If I could afford an unexpected repair - no extend. If a $3k repair stresses my finances - then yes extend.
Thing about buying online is they will give you multiple options combining miles and years covered....so you could buy an 8 year 40 to warranty for less money. For example our new Ford at 2 years has considerably less miles then normal for us because of Covid....if/when we buy a Ford EW we can actually parlay some of our unused 36 in a cheaper mile and year warranty . So OP should some online quotes if they are still interested...

It is a Subaru Forrester, I do not work on the car myself. Less than 5000 miles a year and probably will keep for at least eight years.

If the $2300 is for a Subaru OEM warranty (not 3rd party) with a low deductible ($100 or less) and covers bumper-to-bumper like the factory warranty (i.e. not just powertrain) I'd buy it.

Since in my experience the full-time AWD on my Subaru has meant more wear-and-tear to the driveline than with my FWD-only vehicles...e.g. more frequent CV joint replacements & wheel bearing assembly replacements.

There is no way buyers collectively come out ahead.

Isn't that pretty much the way all insurance works?

I'm not a fan of automotive extended warranties in general.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom