New Operating System

It wasn't off a mainframe, but I remember playing a Star Trek game from a friend's Atari home system circa 1979-1980. It was written in Basic, and my friend changed a few lines of code to make the game more difficult. I think it got loaded from a cassette tape, a common method when floppy disk drives were not yet standard.

The main (and fun) part of the game was when the Enterprise entered a grid (a sector in a galaxy) with multiple Klingon ships to battle against. Am I describing the game you mentioned?

Yes, sounds similar, but that was a lonnnnng time ago.

Ditto. Freshman year, 1975, NCSU (Go Pack), ChE 205 (the notorius ChE "weeder" class with a Fortran IV lab).

The bright side that semester was, we got a grad student's TSO account and password and we played "Star Trek" every chance we got!

Anyone else play Star Trek off a mainframe?
Played some version asteroids? on an S/370 in 1984. It wasn't particularly entertaining, I had more fun playing with control blocks and what was hidden within.

He misremembered, or installed Mosiac himself. Win95 came with Internet Explorer 3.0. IE 4.0 was disastrously added as an upgrade a year later.

In contrast to the OP, I bought my first computer in 1985 at the Post Exchange in Schweinfurt, West Germany. It was a Commodore 128. I later added a floppy drive, printer and 1200 baud modem. That rig took me through the Army and through college. (128 referred to the amount of RAM 128 Kb not Mb or Gb). A in 1992 I got my first “real” computer, a 486 33 MHz, 4 Mb RAM, 120 Mb hard disk, 28.8 Modem and a single speed CDROM. I was a stickler for modem speed as I’d been connecting to online services since 1987 (QLink) I booked my first flight online in 1988 through a QLink connection to the SABRE booking system. My 28.8 modem was so fast at the time that I had practically nothing I could connect to at that speed. LOL. It was years before AOL would have an array of modems at that speed.

The last time I used a DOS prompt was back in 2016. My hard drive was failing, and the best I could do was to insert my W10 thumb drive which had some recovery program to allow me to get to a DOS prompt and no further (Windows wouldn't start).

Getting to a DOS prompt did allow me to find the directories on some X:/ drive which contained my personal files, such as in Excel and Word. I was able to back up my recently used files (I had done a backup a few weeks earlier, so there weren't too many I had to save) onto another thumb drive. I lost a few emails I had recently received, but otherwise everything else was intact when I replaced the HD and reloaded everything anew.

Remembering how to navigate through DOS was a crucial part toward not losing any files.

Back
Top Bottom