new rules for hearing aids

To further muddy the waters, there are things called "personal sound amplification products" that are designed to boost certain sounds for people without hearing loss, like for hunting or birdwatching. They aren't regulated by the FDA, and I wonder if some of the low-cost devices I see advertised are actually PSAPs, and people obviously don't know the difference.

I don't know what you mean by "more" appointments, but one of the frustrations with hearing aids is getting them programmed so they work for you. This is where the comparison between prescription glasses and hearing aids falls apart. When you get new (or your first) glasses, you can instantly see clearly. And you don't go, "Oh my god, everything is too clear--I'm being driven crazy," while when people first get hearing aids, they're driven insane by how loud everything is (paper rustling is AWFUL), until their brain adjusts.

Hearing aids get an initial program set based on your audiogram, but there are many many tweaks that can and should be made, like to lower feedback, or to boost voices in a noisy environment, or to reduce howling from wind. It's not just a matter of "this object at 15 feet is now clear."

It can take several or even many trips to the audiologist to get them to work right for you. I have severe-to-profound loss in one ear, so I absolutely need them, and even so, the visits to the audiologist when I get new hearing aids wear me down and make me inclined to just say, "They're fine," when they're really not. For people with mild hearing loss who can function okay without them, that's how they end up in a drawer.

Plus, like for reducing wind noise--you can't duplicate that in an office, so the audiologist will try a setting, and then you go out in the real world ad see if it worked, and if it didn't, you have to go back. It takes a lot of fortitude, and that's one reason I embraced making adjustments on my own.

As for getting them fixed, the pair I have now is a saga, and includes one of them suddenly going to very low amplification in the late afternoon, but not every day. Sometimes both of them would do it. They were sent in for repair, and the loaner DID THE SAME THING. What the hell?

The audiologist and the Resound rep both said they'd never heard of such a thing, and of course I could never duplicate it because it would fix itself by the next morning. They eventually gave me new ones, and the replacements have even done it a couple of times (although my data set is compromised because I almost entirely stopped wearing them during Covid because I stayed home all the time and just use captions for the TV).

I've also had previous ones stop working, which required having them sent in for repair. They're electronic devices, and we all know how electronic devices act.

One thing that's a bright spot for people with mild to moderate loss is the advent of open fit hearing aids, the ones that sit behind your ear (BTE) and a wire goes to a rubbery dome down in your ear. The domes come in different sizes so there are still fit issues, but it's a hell of a lot easier to get a dome to fit right than an ear mold.

Between not having to fit an ear mold and being able to tweak settings yourself, these cheaper OTC aids really might work well for some people. But if people don't realize it's not like getting glasses for the first time and suddenly you can see the leaves on the trees, they're going to be very disappointed, and convinced the damn things don't work.

And I don't really understand how this is going to significantly bring down the price of non-OTC hearing aids, because that price includes unlimited visits for adjustments, so comparing that price to the cost of OTC aids doesn't really work. Audiologists could lower the price for hearing aids tomorrow if they started charging for their time every time someone comes in for an adjustment. But that would create a significant disincentive for people to make the appointments needed to get their hearing aids working as well as they could, making them even more likely to end up in a drawer.

I have reading glasses I put on and take off frequently, and when the temples hit my BTE hearing aids, it makes a horrendous noise. Nobody has ever been able to make an adjustment that prevents it. I've gotten to where I don't put my glasses on my ears, but instead put them an inch or two above them, which of course makes them more likely to fall off if I lean my head over. But that sound...it's unbearable.

Wow! I can hardly wait.:(

But thanks (really!) for the heads up. I tried a pair at Sams Club, maybe 6 or 7 years ago. My ear test was "marginal" (The lady said I could wait, but HAs WOULD be beneficial right away.) She set up a couple of BTE for me to try in the store. I nearly tore them off my ears when walking out of the sound proof chamber. It was like everyone was screaming, carts sounded like demolition derby, the PA system sounded like the end of the world was at hand. I went back to her and she lowered the volume which helped, but everything was still just too loud. I gave up. But now, I can't ignore the hearing loss. I can look into hearing aids or get a divorce. I think HAs are cheaper.:facepalm: YMMV

Fortunately I don't need HA just yet but I went to Costco when I noticed I could get my hearing tested at no charge. I do have annoying tinnitus that sounds like year-round Cicada infestation in my head and thought maybe they could help. The testing was very thorough and showed a slight reduction in some wave lengths but not enough to warrant HA. My wife may disagree but it probably would help if she would be in the same room when she is talking to me. :D
Unfortunately I will have to live with the Tinnitus. White noise or sound generators would just add more dB inside my head so I don't see that as an option.

Cheers!

I have reading glasses I put on and take off frequently, and when the temples hit my BTE hearing aids, it makes a horrendous noise. Nobody has ever been able to make an adjustment that prevents it. I've gotten to where I don't put my glasses on my ears, but instead put them an inch or two above them, which of course makes them more likely to fall off if I lean my head over. But that sound...it's unbearable.

Truly we are all different and YMMV. :)

I also wear glasses and BTE HAs. There is a noise whenever I don or remove my glasses but it isn't especially loud or annoying. I'd describe it as someone crinkling cellophane near my ear for a half second.

You can buy the device used to adjust hearing aids. ... They're on Ebay; look for Noahlink.

Thanks for that, I will look into it.

It can take several or even many trips to the audiologist to get them to work right for you. I have severe-to-profound loss in one ear, so I absolutely need them, and even so, the visits to the audiologist when I get new hearing aids wear me down and make me inclined to just say, "They're fine," when they're really not.

I too am a full time Rv'er. That's why I went with a major national chain. The idea being that I could get my hearing aids adjusted as I move around the country. And to some degree I have been successful with that. The Resounds I got were pretty bad, they are in a drawer waiting for the day that I lose my current hearing aids. Which is what happened with the first pair. I'll be wintering in Florida this year so one of my to do's is to attempt to get my hearing aids fine tuned. They are horrible in the wind. I also plan on finding an Ear Nose and Throat doctor to explain why I have hearing loss, something audiologist don't tend to get into.

Last edited:
I also plan on finding an Ear Nose and Throat doctor to explain why I have hearing loss, something audiologist don't tend to get into.

I wouldn't bother with that. Just do your own research. The ENT won't know.

Source for Connex Hearing Aid Software. I cannot vouch for this. I have just purchased it and am in the process of downloading it. I may have wasted my money, only time will tell.

Apparently it won't work with my hearing aids. Signia Pure Charge and Go 7AX BG. I am beginning to see that the audiologist that I visited didn't do the best job of matching my hearing needs in spite of me paying top dollar. So I am lumping in with used car salesman and online stock advisors, people you can't trust to have your best interest at heart.

Regarding software to make your own adjustments - I can't find the link now, but when this subject came up some years ago, I found a post by a guy who was able to talk his audiologist into giving him a copy of the control software. He couldn't stand his HAs, they goofed with the sound too much, he felt.

IIRC, the guy was a musician and/or recording engineer and/or EE, so had a good understanding of the capabilities of the device and about sound and psycho-acoustics.

He said the first thing he did was to save the settings, and then wipe everything out to ground zero. Then he made initial adjustments based on what he knew about his hearing, but staying on the 'conservative' side. Tried it for a while, then made the next step. He tweaked things over time, a little at a time, and got to something that worked for him. Basically, he felt the audiologist just over-did everything, so too many 'artifacts' from compression, expansion and limiting, probably too much cut/boost.

If/when (likely when) I need HAs, getting the control SW is going to be a must for me.

-ERD50

I am beginning to see that the audiologist that I visited didn't do the best job of matching my hearing needs in spite of me paying top dollar.
What are you basing that on?

Basically, he felt the audiologist just over-did everything, so too many 'artifacts' from compression, expansion and limiting, probably too much cut/boost.
I consider myself an experienced hearing aid user (my first one was in 1989), yet I would have no knowledge of compression and the like if my boyfriend (electrical engineer) hadn't become interested in looking under the hood. What I knew was that I didn't like the way my hearing aids would sound, and he was able to trace it to compression. So I can now tell the audiologist that I don't like compression.

But that came after the two of us talking about it a lot, and fiddling with the programming software. And doing it at our leisure.

Something else my boyfriend pointed out is that current hearing aids are over-promised in their marketing, which can lead to disappointment. Back in the analog days, it was just a matter of making everything louder, which they most definitely did.

But nowadays with the computerization of them, they make claims like they can make it possible to hear speech in noisy situations, or they can make it so you hear what's in front of you and filter out what's behind. And they can, but only to a point. But people don't understand the "only to a point" part, and it's certainly not highly publicized.

Hearing aids still do a good job of helping someone understand the TV, or his mumbling wife when they're at home, and even if she's talking to him from another room. It's processed sound, but it's pretty decent processed sound if you can get used to it. But they're advertised as much more than that, and their capabilities in the really challenging situations are nowhere near unlimited. My experience is that they're not even all that good. They can be better than nothing, which is something, but expecting to suddenly have the voice of the person you want to listen to stand out clearly above all the other noise in the room is asking for disappointment.

It will be interesting to compare the in-the-drawer rates for the OTC aids compared to the ones people get from audiologists.

I have hearing aids from the Veterans Administration. Free! - one of the many benefits of being drafted in 1972 and sent to Vietnam! :) (I actually was drafted, but joined the Navy before induction. They sent me to Vietnam anyway, but on an aircraft carrier, where I worked around jet engines. Fly Navy!)

The VA is the worlds largest provider of hearing aids and (according to a private audiologist I visited) use only the top of the line hearing aids from the major manufacturers.

Mine are from Opticon, which my VA audiologist thought worked best with newer Android phones. Beside slightly improving my hearing (I have Tinnitus which hearing aids don't seem to do much for) they connect by bluetooth to my phone so I can hear phone calls with my hearing aids. A great feature, especially in a car or other noisy environment.

I also am told that if you are in a lecture or similar meeting, you can put you phone close to the podium, and get better reception thanks to the bluetooth connection to your hearing aids. (a feature unused in these COVID times...)

I think over the counter aids are going to be a great benefit, increase competition in the market, and cause some big price reductions. If I did not have the VA, Costco would be my vendor of choice.

Last edited:
I have had hearing aids for 10 years. Got them when I couldn’t stand the garbled speech of everyone around me. Went the expensive route - a private audiologist. Best thing she did for me was insist on my husband attending the first fitting so that she could explain to him how he can help me by looking at me when he speaks. That requires us being in the same room for conversations. This has saved us both a lot of frustration.

***pluperfect, my HAs are Oticon Sensei Pro, a beautiful red color. They are children’s (colorful) HAs programmed for my hearing needs. I am hoping that the OTC availability will reduce the stigma associated with wearing HAs so that cool
colors become available in HAs for adults.

I have hearing aids from the Veterans Administration. Free! - one of the many benefits of being drafted in 1972 and sent to Vietnam! :) (I actually was drafted, but joined the Navy before induction. They sent me to Vietnam anyway, but on an aircraft carrier, where I worked around jet engines. Fly Navy!)

The VA is the worlds largest provider of hearing aids and (according to a private audiologist I visited) use only the top of the line hearing aids from the major manufacturers.

Mine are from Opticon, which my VA audiologist thought worked best with newer Android phones. Beside slightly improving my hearing (I have Tinnitus which hearing aids don't seem to do much for) they connect by bluetooth to my phone so I can hear phone calls with my hearing aids. A great feature, especially in a car or other noisy environment.

I also am told that if you are in a lecture or similar meeting, you can put you phone close to the podium, and get better reception thanks to the bluetooth connection to your hearing aids. (a feature unused in these COVID times...)

I think over the counter aids are going to be a great benefit, increase competition in the market, and cause some big price reductions. If I did not have the VA, Costco would be my vendor of choice.

I’ve considered going to the VA for hearing aids, but I’ve never used them since I left the Air Force for anything. Is it a big hassle? I wouldn’t know how to get started. I do have my old medical records with documented hearing loss.

I’ve considered going to the VA for hearing aids, but I’ve never used them since I left the Air Force for anything. Is it a big hassle? I wouldn’t know how to get started. I do have my old medical records with documented hearing loss.

Yes, it is a hassle. You would first have to run the gauntlet of establishing that your hearing loss is service-related. Lots of paperwork and then a long wait to get an appointment to test your hearing loss. Then a fitting appointment. Then a follow-up appointment. If the VA determines you qualify, you get FREE hearing aids. It's worth it if you can stomach the qualification process. The VA is backlogged through the wazoo, though.

Source for Connex Hearing Aid Software. I cannot vouch for this. I have just purchased it and am in the process of downloading it. I may have wasted my money, only time will tell.

Hearing aids are considered medical devices and, as such, it is illegal for this website to sell you the Connexx software, as well well as the Noahlink programming interface. The software from any hearing aid manufacturer is not allowed to be given to any old Joe on the street; only to licensed hearing aid dispensers or audiologists (with an established account with the particular manufacturer to boot). Laws are being broken on this website.
But it's a bit of a whack-a-mole situation. Cease and desist letters are sent, the site is shut down, and then pops again under a different URL.

Thanks for the site. If I read it correctly, the $1400 pair is if you order from the warehouse. I couldn't quite tell if that entitled you to the services. Apparently, the $1400 pair is the bottom of the line. I'm guessing that's where most of us would start - especially if we are cheap.:cool:

I'm always a bit suspicious when I see something like their little blurb on "battery life." Okay, I get it, "it varies" but they didn't even give a range which would give you an idea of the on-going costs. They suggest you write down when you put in a battery and when it fails. Wait, what? IOW, before you know what it's gonna cost to run your HAs, you have to buy them to find out.

I've actually heard good things about Costco's HAs and service, so willing to take a look at it. But the site doesn't give me a good feeling about w*rking with them. I would assume we have members who are happy with them so YMMV.

Costco does NOT sell bottom of the line hearing aids. You won't get a better price for hearing aids PLUS follow-up service.
Costco takes bids every 2-3 years from the major hearing aid manufacturers. The winning bid gets the Kirkland KS line (I think they're at KS 10 right now?). The KS line is just rebrand of the (winning) major manufacturer's hearing aids, usually only one or, at most, two generations removed from that manufacturer's CURRENT top-of-the-line hearing aids (so whatever the latest technology was two years ago).
Costco's dispenser talent varies by store of course, but most of them are more than proficient enough.

Yes, it is a hassle. You would first have to run the gauntlet of establishing that your hearing loss is service-related. Lots of paperwork and then a long wait to get an appointment to test your hearing loss. Then a fitting appointment. Then a follow-up appointment. If the VA determines you qualify, you get FREE hearing aids. It's worth it if you can stomach the qualification process. The VA is backlogged through the wazoo, though.

That’s what I figured. There’s a lot of guys that need their help more than me. My service record clearly shows the loss of hearing during my flying years, but the Costco ones suit me fine for now.

Hearing aids are considered medical devices and, as such, it is illegal for this website to sell you the Connexx software, as well well as the Noahlink programming interface. The software from any hearing aid manufacturer is not allowed to be given to any old Joe on the street; only to licensed hearing aid dispensers or audiologists (with an established account with the particular manufacturer to boot). Laws are being broken on this website.
But it's a bit of a whack-a-mole situation. Cease and desist letters are sent, the site is shut down, and then pops again under a different URL.

I'm shocked. SHOCKED that laws are being broken and no one is going to jail. YMMV

I was just reading an article in the new york times that states later this year hearing aids will be sold over the counter. does anyone here that uses hearing aids think this is good? my wife uses hearing aids and has to have adjustments every so often. If you buy over the counter is there a way to adjust them yourself and make sure they will work for you? I am thinking that pretty soon I will also need them. the biggest question is what brand to look at, and what sort of self adjustment will be available, plus how much will this change the pricing? any thoughts? tia

frank

OTC will definitely change the game. It already is, because consumers of hearing aids breached the firm wall between the hearing aid manufacturers and dispensers/audiologist about 3 years ago. Consumers (or patients, in old parlance) used to have to go through a dispenser for help with their hearing aids.
Apps for hearing aids CHANGED ALL THAT. Consumers started getting through the switchboard to company tech support or audiology departments for help with the apps or Bluetooth pairing help...so much so, and gobbling up so much phone time, that all manufacturers now have dedicated phone numbers to handle calls from consumers.
Consumers in the hearing aid world are the future.
OTC hearing aids add an entirely different layer. ALL the major manufacturers have OTC products in the pipeline, ready to release. Most of the OTC tech will be hearing aid like devices that the user should be able to fit themselves (e.g., their app will test your hearing in a rudimentary fashion, and then it program the hearing aids to a basic starting point, and you will be able to make minor adjustments.) Bluetooth streaming should be standard issue.
It's hard to predict the shakeout...some dispensers/audiologist will take the tack that they provide value-add services that you won't get elsewhere. And OTC will likely never have the latest sound processing algorithms available in high-end hearing aids.
But, as I said, consumers are the future, and once OTC starts to mature, they may push the industry in unexpected directions. Strap in. :)

Last edited:
Costco sells several different brands and models of hearing aids. I'm sure this feature is available on some of them. Click on the individual brand name for more information.

https://www.costco.com/hearing-aid-center.html

All the major manufacturer's have tinnitus therapy in their upper technology hearing aids.
The two typical technologies are:
1. Tinnitus masking; the user can choose different brownian noise, white noise, narrowband noise etc. to add to one or more programs in their hearing aids, or

2. "Tinnitus notch therapy". The software that programs the hearing aids delivers different tones to the patient; the clincian and patient together try to find the tonal "match" to the (major) frequency of their tinnitus. The hearing aids then output that frequency as a sort of spike in the frequency spectrum, thereby stimulating the tinnitus region. By stimulating tinnitus regions, the tinnitus is then suppressed and the user experiences relief.

Last edited:
My Dad had some very high tech Widex hearing aids with the Bluetooth connection to the phone and an app to adjust them. But he was not able to figure out the app and so the audiologist had to just set them to a default of some kind.

I'm probably overdue for hearing aids. I was primed to go to Costco soon, but I'm thinking I'll wait a bit and see what can be done at a cheaper price. I am concerned about adjustments as that is key. I hear sound reasonably well, but I don't understand - especially DW! She refuses to speak up or turn toward me when she wants to say something (all her fault!!) Anyway, I've heard it's important to stave off, for instance, dementia to have good hearing. That would be worth a lot.

Oh you brought back a memory. My late husband had Bell’s palsy, and developed a habit of clasping his hands in front of his mouth to cover the droop. The Bell’s palsy more or less went away unless he got really tired, but he still kept clasping his hands in front of his mouth. Meanwhile I was losing my hearing. And not only did his habit muffle his voice, it made reading his lips impossible.

So when we went out to lunch and a table was there made making the clasping motion so much easier to do, I would have to reach over and pull his hands down and very slowly they’d go back up again and I’d have to do it again…. oh man.

That’s the funny thing about grief. Even the bad memories are good. I’m laughing right now.

This is a good discussion as my recent visit to ENT Dr confirmed I have a moderate loss in some ranges in both ears. Price is a factor in my hesitation, but wearing them all the time even when I am just hanging out is the major factor. And wearing a hearing aid confirms my aging. If the price were lower, that would be one factor in the plus category.

What are you basing that on?...current hearing aids are over-promised in their marketing, which can lead to disappointment.

My first pair of hearing aids worked pretty well. They auto-adjusted, they had wind cancelling capability (I spend a great deal of time outdoors), they just worked. Then I lost them riding on my motorcycle.

The next Audiologist really pushed the pair I bought, they didn't work well.

I am constantly fiddling with the app for my current pair. I take them off in windy conditions, in my research I find there are more "programs" available for them that would help with all of my poor hearing situations. The Audiologist that I saw was appointment-centric. You got so much time and when the next appointment was looming that was pretty much the end of what got done.

I don't normally do sour grapes on things. But I am not particularly happy with the hearing aid industry. I full time RV, so I have not seen the same audiologist twice. Not their fault. When I get to Florida for the winter I will take the time to see someone in network to get these adjusted.

Price is a factor in my hesitation, but wearing them all the time even when I am just hanging out is the major factor. And wearing a hearing aid confirms my aging.

Have two friends who both purchased pricey hearings aids but hardly ever wear them. Neither seems to mind asking folks to repeat themselves but you do have to speak very loudly (or almost yell) around them which can be a bit irritating. So far, I'm fortunate that I have great hearing but hope I would wear the aids if I actually needed them.

Have two friends who both purchased pricey hearings aids but hardly ever wear them. Neither seems to mind asking folks to repeat themselves but you do have to speak very loudly (or almost yell) around them which can be a bit irritating. So far, I'm fortunate that I have great hearing but hope I would wear the aids if I actually needed them.

The "How much do I annoy others?" consideration is a factor in the "buy" column.

Back
Top Bottom