New things that young working adults ...

DW and I met online......I was still RVing, something my late wife wanted to do, and since I had the truck and the 5th wheel, and no other base, I kept doing it while I tried to clear my head (OK, the last part never did materialize).

I was in Toronto for the summer, met a number of women.......for one reason or another, and sometimes for no apparent reason, nothing materialized long term.

DW was working about 280 miles from where I was camped...we corresponded....and she said she had to go through Toronto to pick up her daughter at college......we met...she subsequently came to Texas, where I was spending the winter, for a visit.....and when I left I went to where she was.....offloaded the truck & trailer.

And I'm still where she is. And, as Maxwell Smart used to say, loving it.

Not only must all shirts be un-tucked, but I noticed at my office before the great day (retirement) that the young men always wore undershirts, even with polos and aloha shirts. One noticed I wasn't, and told me he just couldn't understand how people of my generation could stand to wear shirts directly over bare skin.

I think the aloha shirts especially look dorky with a white undershirt showing at the collar. And besides, it's not like I had a coke spoon on a chain around my neck buried in chest hair with my collar open three buttons.

By the way, if you pay attention you will see that most guys up to about 45 wear their shirt tails out and an increasing number of 60+ers do as well. It's just a matter of time before you all get on board.

And when you all get aboard---Bingo! The trend will end..Get ready to tuck those shirts in.

I had to get some money back from a younger colleague after I paid a joint bill. It was not a problem, I knew he was good for it, and I expected him to give me a check in a few days. Apparently that's not the way it's done anymore. He wanted to use an app like Venmo or Zelle to transfer the money which would then be attached to my email address and I could draw from that account later when the funds arrived. It seems like a lot more work than simply giving me a check, but he was most insistent - people in his age just don't use checks if they can possibly avoid it. It was all new to me.

Back in the day I never used checks for, err, joint purchases. Strictly untraceable cash. :)

-BB

Please post a pic of a guy wearing his shirt sleeves "in." I'm having trouble visualizing what that looks like.

Years ago I worked in a machine shop, but also did office work and would wear a long sleeve dress shirt. If those days that required me to go into the shop in a dress shirt to show someone how to do something I often tucked my shirt sleeves "in", I would roll them under to keep them clean. rolling them under also reduced the chances of them flaring out and touching grease.

I thought the increase in untucked shirts was directly correlated with more people carrying concealed [emoji23][emoji23]

That is why I wear mine untucked.

Like today my 33 year old son mentioned Venmo. Apparently it is used to transfer cash between people at little or no cost. For instance, you pay your friend for your part of the meal and he uses his credit card. Just "Venmo me bud".
A competitor to Venmo, sponsored by the banks, Zelle discovers fraud and some banks are denying liability!

Still using a few checks, but only for person to person transactions, where electronic payments are less efficient. Paying a younger guy today as a matter of fact, for tickets he purchased to a sporting event. He recommended Zelle. I got beat into using Venmo by one of my 20 something daughters, and recommended it. We settled the dilemma with "paper".
Now, I certainly will be checking online to see how long it takes him to discover how to cash the darn thing - ha !

I also agree that email is passe, and direct calls raise young people's panic button (who died?) if you do want to actually call them and talk. Texting is king. Facebook is for Grandma and Grandpa (DW and me) !

I get the impression it is now uncool to use your phone (even just to text) when you are supposed to be paying attention to a speaker at a public gathering.

Still using a few checks, but only for person to person transactions, where electronic payments are less efficient. Paying a younger guy today as a matter of fact, for tickets he purchased to a sporting event. He recommended Zelle. I got beat into using Venmo by one of my 20 something daughters, and recommended it. We settled the dilemma with "paper".
Now, I certainly will be checking online to see how long it takes him to discover how to cash the darn thing - ha !

I also agree that email is passe, and direct calls raise young people's panic button (who died?) if you do want to actually call them and talk. Texting is king. Facebook is for Grandma and Grandpa (DW and me) !

Actually if they have a smartphone they don't need to go to the bank to cash a check, can do it from the phone. (there may be a max limit but that may depend on the bank). So in particular if you see the person a check is about as convenient, plus the legal system has provided protections if you use a check, that may not yet have made it into the legal system for the newer methods. Just like the old certified mail return reciept requestion, may beat a phone call, as the return receipt proves they did get the document.

I get the impression it is now uncool to use your phone (even just to text) when you are supposed to be paying attention to a speaker at a public gathering.
Actually, you're supposed to be posting to snapchat and Instagram about the speaker to whom you're paying attention.

Exactly so. If the speaker is worth attending to, he/she is worth telling others about. It is not meant as disrespect.

Actually, you're supposed to be posting to snapchat and Instagram about the speaker to whom you're paying attention.

Back
Top Bottom