Newbie on a long road to early retirement

LaZy

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi all,

I been reading forums for a while but finally decided to register. I have found this place to be some what as a great relief. Everyone thought I was going crazy having thoughts of early retirement since I am only 23.

Glad to see there are many others out there who share my views, to me it’s only logical to be financially independent, only then can you really do what you want. I guess most people are unfortunately so sucked into the rat race that they didn’t get a chance to experience what else this world has to offer.

It been 1 year since I started my first job, I think just after a couple of months I foreseen the next potential 40 years of my life flash by if I didn’t do anything about my spending habits and plan for the future.

Life has flipped 180 in the past year, for as long as I can remember I have been very lazy. Not saying I didn’t enjoy my free time, being carefree was exactly what I wanted. Friends and family find it quite shocking I am still currently working and pursing further studies. They are especially surprised to hear me come out with plans for early retirement.

If there is a black sheep in every family I am probably it lol. Never did well in studies, fluked my way through high school, college and university. But lesson learnt, some things in life require time and effort, FIRE is definitely one of them.

Anyhow just wanted to say hi to everyone and say how great this community is :)

Welcome aboard,
The beautiful thing about becoming FI is you don't need good grades and you can be very lazy - as long as you pay yourself first and start early. Realizing this is half the battle - good luck on the execution part!

LaZy

Welcome to the Board. Good you are beginning to recognize this at 23...most people don't recognize they have to save for retirement until much later, making FIRE impossible. As Arc said, now is the time to execute. Good luck.

R

Welcome. You have that rare coin that most of us here lack -- time. Time to earn, time to save and, most importantly, time for the miracle of compound interest to work its magic. Live below your means, save religiously, invest wisely and, in the fullness of time, you will become wealthy.

Back
Top Bottom