Newer Thread for on-line Fax

savory

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I noticed a dated thread for on-line faxing so I thought I would share my recent experience. After a misunderstanding with my brokerage house for depositing my 2012 Roth, I had to act quickly to get the paperwork in. I used HelloFax https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...age/bocmleclimfnadgmcdgecijlblfcmfnm?hl=en-US It has a feature where I was able to sign using my mouse! Similar to signing with a stylus at the store. Everything got done in a very short time which included filling in the form on-line and signing.

And, I sent it by using my Google Voice which is like Skype Google Voice - Features

I did not need a fax machine or any special software, only the apps. Just sharing in case it can be of a benefit to you.

Thanks, I've got a few free fax services bookmarked (efax, popfax, and faxzero) in case I need them, but I have not used them in years, good to have a current option.

Hopefully, I never need this. Fax, a fantastic tech in the 1980's, seems to finally be dying out.

-ERD50

Thanks, I've got a few free fax services bookmarked (efax, popfax, and faxzero) in case I need them, but I have not used them in years, good to have a current option.

Hopefully, I never need this. Fax, a fantastic tech in the 1980's, seems to finally be dying out.

-ERD50

You mentioning that the fax seems to be dying out makes me wonder about something. I haven't been involved in real estate for a number of years but even back in the 90's, faxed copies such as real estate forms with signatures were legal documents in Florida. Can't speak for other states. What would now replace the fax? How do you sign an email? Anyone know the answer to this?

We recently purchased a new wireless printer-fax-copy machine. Haven't hooked up the fax yet and wonder if it is worth the trouble. I going to look into the fax via email.

You mentioning that the fax seems to be dying out makes me wonder about something. I haven't been involved in real estate for a number of years but even back in the 90's, faxed copies such as real estate forms with signatures were legal documents in Florida. Can't speak for other states. What would now replace the fax? How do you sign an email? Anyone know the answer to this?

We recently purchased a new wireless printer-fax-copy machine. Haven't hooked up the fax yet and wonder if it is worth the trouble. I going to look into the fax via email.

You might have all you need. Print the page(s) you need to sign, sign them, and then scan them to PDF (a lot of recent printers have that capability) which can be attached to an email.

I've done this when needed over the past several years, not only for my signature but also when a letterhead was required (e.g. for a reference).

On several real estate transactions I was involved in, I printed out the papers, signed them at home, scanned them in as a PDF and then sent them by email.

However, in the last house that I bought they used DocuSign and the document was available online and you went in and electronically signed it. You picked a "signature" and said that would be your signature and after that every time you had to sign it would use the "signature" that you had picked to be yours.

As for faxes - I actually have a printer that has fax capabilities however I have no landline and no VOIP. I exclusively use cell and Skype. For awhile I paid monthly for fax services but I wasn't doing enough faxing from home to justify it so I gave it up a couple of years ago.

I think the HelloFax thing is interesting but not it is in the Chrome Web Store and I don't use Chrome.

I do think Faxes are dying but I do sometimes still have to use them. For example, with our insurance company, I have to file out of network claims myself and we can mail those or fax them. I would love the option to send my email. And there have been some other examples where I still have to face. Some businesses will let you fax to them or will send you faxes but won't do email (which always annoys me).

I have not needed to Fax anything for years. I have signed contracts, finalized legal disputes, bought and sold property and bought insurance, all by printing, signing, scanning and emailing documents. I keep the PDFs on file. My lawyer's office does the same.

I have my signature scanned in my laptop, cut & paste.

Brought back an old memory of many years ago, when I was a district manager, and my employer provided an image machine which was portable (in a briefcase). Unlike the one pictured, mine had a receptacle into which you placed a regular telephone. As I recall, it was before we called it a fax.
A little fuzzy in memory, but it had a spinning roller which "read" the information that was on a sheet of paper, and transmitted it to a receiving machine. A single page transmission took about five minutes. We used it to transmit diagrams, floor plans etc.

I think it may have been somewhere around the years 1968 to 1970, (edit probably more like 1975) but not sure. It may have been later. When looking for information on "portable faxes", this was the only one I could find. Vintage NEC I300 Image Terminal First Portable Fax Machine w Cellphone Analog | eBay

I know this is a little off topic, but wondered if anyone else might be familiar with this. Our district managers only used it as a test for a few months, after which it was determined to not be cost efficient. ($1,000+) Seems to have been a piece of technology that came and went, though I can't imagine why.

Ah yes... the early days. In 1970, I had the first hand-held calculator in my company... again on a test basis. It was a Sharp EL-8 that cost $630. The girls in accounting were awed, as they were still using the mechanical calculators.

Attachments

• old fax.jpg
    old fax.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom