No Goals: Complacency or Contentment?

I continue to be motivated and have the typical aims of exercise, being emotionally and physically healthy. I no longer feel the need to set goals to challenge myself to greater achievements. This is so foreign to me, that I am confused as to whether I should embrace it as a sign of contentment or am I just being complacent?

Is this a common experience for people transitioning into FIRE?

My view on this is as follows:

I think seeking and attaining contentment (long term) is one of the highest goals of all. To be successful at this you have to have done much of the traditional tasks that you describe.

-gauss

Thank you all for your input! It's been validating I'll just embrace the quiet for now, as I know my brain will return to goal-driven action in the future.

I am 56, FI, semi-retired and enjoying my glide path to early retirement. I have always been strongly goal-driven and continue to advocate for goal setting among my patients and coachees. Since I have financially “won the game” I feel no strong push to focus on goal driven behaviors, both personally and professionally. Financially, I could retire fully, but I truly enjoy my job and find it fulfilling to help others.

I am the typical “Type A personality” always working multiple jobs, no patience for idle time, etc. I’ve always had the entrepreneur mindset, where I was always thinking of the next business, blog or marketing venture. My transition from psychotherapy practice to Pain Management Coaching and Physician Coaching has gone well. I know it makes sense that I no longer need to focus on marketing or filling every open slot in my day, but I find that I am feeling the same in my personal life.

I continue to be motivated and have the typical aims of exercise, being emotionally and physically healthy. I no longer feel the need to set goals to challenge myself to greater achievements. This is so foreign to me, that I am confused as to whether I should embrace it as a sign of contentment or am I just being complacent?

Is this a common experience for people transitioning into FIRE?

all I got from this is you are not good with you hands :D

Get up in the morning. Go to bed at night. Do whatever I want in between.

Back
Top Bottom