North TX BBQ?

BOBOT

Recycles dryer sheets
Our route will be from the DFW area to Albuquerque, & the places that get a lot of attention, like Lockhart, are probably too far out of the way. Any recs for great 'q in that part of the state?

I'd recommend you give that one a try. I've eaten at two of their locations (the original in Llano and one in Junction) and they were both excellent!

I lived in Llano from 2006 to early 2013. IMO, The "original" Cooper's has gone downhill a little over time (IMO a victim of its own fame to a degree) but it is still one of the better BBQ joints out there. In the early springtime, on a nice day for a Saturday around lunch time when the temperatures are in the 70s and the wildflowers are in full bloom, you'll see a line of bikers and others wrapping around the building.

Last edited:
Ok, Cooper's it is, and Sweetwater looks to be only an hour out our way, so we'll head there too!
Years ago we found a good joint in Wichita Falls, but I don't recall the name.

Thanks for the tips.

Our route will be from the DFW area to Albuquerque, & the places that get a lot of attention, like Lockhart, are probably too far out of the way. Any recs for great 'q in that part of the state?

There is actually a Lockharts in Plano now, if you are close.

If you want to stop in Amarillo, the Big Texan has good steak... it is a big tourist stop with a bunch of stuff that you will either like or hate... but the steak was great...

Not sure how good their BBQ is though....

http://bigtexan.com/

If you want to stop in Amarillo, the Big Texan has good steak... it is a big tourist stop with a bunch of stuff that you will either like or hate... but the steak was great...

Not sure how good their BBQ is though....

http://bigtexan.com/

I remember that place from the late 60's. I can tell you he did not give away many free 72 oz steaks.:LOL:

There is actually a Lockharts in Plano now, if you are close.

Not sure about the one in Plano, but the Lockhart's in Oak Cliff runs out of food fairly early, especially on weekends...

And when they're out, they're out!

Pecan Lodge in Deep Ellum is great, although you have to get there early and wait in a long line and they can run out of different items. Loved their brisket, ribs and sausage were good, but I've had better.

follow up report

Never made it into FW to try Cooper's, but did get to Big Boy's in Sweetwater. First good sign was the copious smoke rising out back, next was the (obviously) local folk coming & going through the screen door.
Had the brisket & sausage plate with beans & slaw; everything quite good, but I'm not able to compare it to the hill country joints.
Some other time:blush:.

So I assume you already live in the Metroplex as your route begins from there? So you are looking for BBQ in West Texas?

If not, Hard 8 in Stephenville is hard to beat. And although not a BBQ, Mary's in Strawn Texas has a giant burger and some big Chicken Fried Steaks.

Back
Top Bottom