Northern Lights

We are on our way in an hour or so. We are hoping the cloud cover stays light. In WA, last time we tried a few months ago, it was expected at abut midnight to 3AM. this time 7 to 9PM. I wish you luck. It is DW bucket list. One trip to Alaska so far. So I am really hoping tonight is the night.

I hope you catch it, one of the most magical otherworldly experiences I’ve ever had. Caught them on northern Lake Michigan several times during overnight sail races. Nothing else quite like it.

One of the things I miss about living/working in AK. It's pretty neat-especially when you are shooting illumination rounds under it. Undecided as to whether I will stick my head out the door before bed tonight. It snowed a bit today in NH, so the clouds may still be out.

We have a clear night in central VA, and I thought I might have a chance 2000' above the valley, but my view to the north has a town of about 20,000. I tried to imagine the aurora above the city lights glow, but I'm doubting it. I'm just above the "barely possible" line.

Well it's midnight here and so far nothing. We have crystal clear skies so I was hoping to see something. I'll read a little while and try one more time before I hit the sack.

We have clouds and rain tonight, so no luck seeing the lights here in SW Washington this evening.

In 2016, my wife and I made a trip to Fairbanks, Alaska.
Fairbanks Alaska Trip

We were only able to see the aurora once during our trip, but it was an amazing experience. We stood on top of a mountain, in freezing weather at 1am. The lights danced above and all around us. They felt so close and yet filled the sky as far as we could see.

I truly hope I get to see them again someday, but if not, I am thankful for the experience.

The sources I read said it might also happen tomorrow night...?

I've seen many great displays of both the borealis and australis, having worked for a decade in Prudhoe Bay and a 6 week stint at Macmurdo Station. The thing I'll remember is that the best viewing conditions are typically butt-freezing-cold; a high pressure cell in 24 hour winter darkness.. I've seen the lights just ripping across the sky 360 degrees all around, but the -60F temps didn't allow for long contemplation.

I saw them, I saw them! Red and green, blinking and blinking!

Oh, wait, that was my neighbor's Christmas lights.

I am pretty far north (43 deg.), and it is clear tonight, but I live in the middle of a metropolitan area. Northern lights: Who am I kidding? :facepalm:

Definitely awesome. We were in northern Norway in March of 19 and saw it a lot.

Back
Top Bottom