Not renting to lawyers.

A New York Lawyer friend of mine claims that the prohibition on discrimination based on source of income does not apply to discrimination on "licensed profession" I.e. as long as you discriminate against all lawyers, not just because they are paid as a lawyer ,you can satisfy the law. You can read the at
New York City Commission on Human Rights
It does not include profession but only source of income

Interesting question of statutory interpretation

Your NY lawyer friend might be technically correct about "source of income" discrimination not including discrimination based on a licensed profession, but the statement I referenced stated that "tenants are further protected against discrimination with respect to lawful occupation, sexual orientation, partnership [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]status and immigration status."[/FONT]

I haven't studied the citations of authority for the above statement. I assume they are correct. Here's the link to the statement: NYC Rent Guidelines Board

:) that's why you read the statute not the web site :):D
Occupation is not in the statute

:) that's why you read the statute not the web site :):D
Occupation is not in the statute

Well, you shamed me into reading the "statute" and its entire text. Occupation is in the NYC Administrative Code, 8-107(n) as follows:

(n) Discrimination on the basis of occupation prohibited in housing accommodations. Where a housing accommodation or an interest therein is sought or occupied exclusively for residential purposes, the provisions of this subdivision shall be construed to prohibit discrimination in the sale, rental, or leasing of such housing accommodation or interest therein and in the terms, conditions and privileges of the sale, rental or leasing of such housing accommodation or interest therein and in the furnishing of faculties or services in connection therewith, on account of a person's occupation.

New York City Commission on Human Rights

:greetings10:

Back
Top Bottom