Not You Regular Money Type Question

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
In my new absent mindedness, I just reached into my wallet and found two $50 bills when I expected $20 dollar bills.

Does this count as finding $60? Sure feels that way.

Similarly, if you find $20 hidden in the sofa, sure feels like found money.

I know, another if tree falls in the forest type question. All a matter of perspective, I guess.

I have 7 figures in investments but it still feels strangely good to find extra $20 bills and up in places. A common place is the jacket I last wore last spring but didn't get around to washing yet. Or a zipper pocket in a purse.

"Found Money"

Means different things to different people. To me it means extra savings. And it's tax free!

To DH it means he gets in the car and drives around to his favorite thrift stores until he spends it. Or maybe he just goes on ebay.

Yes, opposites attract!

I plead guilty to letting cash back bonuses and using those amounts to buy stuff "free" on Amazon. I know, may not be the best use as better to pay off outstanding balances. But the the feeling of "free" and little effort involved pulls me in.

Yup. This is very similar to a gamblers winnings; "house money."

Behavioral finance guru Richard Thaler's comment: " ... the fact that some of your money has been made recently should not diminish the sense of loss if that money goes up in smoke." But most of us do it

It's almost like another version of penny-wise-pound-foolish.

The markets can ripple every day and NW go 5 figures in either direction. Even after a good couple of weeks when we add another 6 figures, my reaction is little more than a ...Huh, nice. Probably because it doesn't seem as tangible or real?

But finding a $20 in a jeans pocket? Woo Hoo!

I know the feeling. Before going out for a round of golf, I would normally stick a $5 or $10 into my pocket to tip the "cart guys". Sometimes we don't encounter with anyone who "helps" because we normally use our own private cart and the money is left in my jacket pocket. The next time I use the jacket, when I stick my hand into the pocket and find tip money, I am pretty pleased that I don't need to dig into my wallet to pull out tip money again.

I know the feeling. Before going out for a round of golf, I would normally stick a $5 or $10 into my pocket to tip the "cart guys". Sometimes we don't encounter with anyone who "helps" because we normally use our own private cart and the money is left in my jacket pocket. The next time I use the jacket, when I stick my hand into the pocket and find tip money, I am pretty pleased that I don't need to dig into my wallet to pull out tip money again.

This is similar to what happened in my case. I met up with some friend a few months back and brought some bigger bills (the $50s) in case needed to split up some costs. Usually, I only have $20s as the largest bills in my wallet. In my forgetfulness, didn't remember to move the $50s out. I still prefer the found $60 conclusion though :).

Regarding money in clothing pockets, etc...I really don't consider it found money.
I'm not happy that i was not more careful.

On the other hand, finding money on the ground I'm always happy.

I have 7 figures in investments but it still feels strangely good to find extra $20 bills and up in places. A common place is the jacket I last wore last spring but didn't get around to washing yet. Or a zipper pocket in a purse.

In a similar vein, my in laws always gave me money for Christmas - usually $50. No matter how much money I made it was always sweet to have a $50 in hand. Something about cash is different.

No, I actually cringe when I find my own cash. It makes me feel like I’m not managing the cash very well. I should be keeping better track of every dollar. It’s another incentive for me to use a cashback credit card instead of cash as much as possible.

In my new absent mindedness, I just reached into my wallet and found two $50 bills when I expected $20 dollar bills.

Does this count as finding $60? Sure feels that way.

Similarly, if you find $20 hidden in the sofa, sure feels like found money.

I know, another if tree falls in the forest type question. All a matter of perspective, I guess.

For me, absolutely it counts! It counts double if you tuck it away and don't spend it though.... :LOL:

Part of it is also the fun. I went to the drug store yesterday with a 30% off coupon and a $25 gift certificate I got from a survey. One of the items was also a BOGO.
When the dust settled, all I bought cost a dollar. :dance:

Found money is always a welcomed surprise and often spent quickly.

I have a Menards store (think Home depot or Lowes) less than a mile from home. They very often have an 11% rebate going on. It is in the form of an in-store credit. They also show the 11% lower price in their sales flyers. Buy it now at the usual price, thinking you are getting the lower, rebate price, then when the rebate comes, spend the "found money" again. After frequenting this store for > 15 years, I recently discovered that when I spend the rebate, it is take on the pre-tax subtotal. So no sales tax is charged when spending it. Now I feel like I get an even better deal, not having to pay the local 8% sales tax. I know, I already had paid the sales tax in the original purchase. Still feels good.

It's a silly thing, but finding a bill does bring a different smile to your face.
One time as a young man with not a lot of assets, I got a check from a power utility. It was my security deposit, returned with interest paid as promised. I had passed the hurdle of being a good customer.
I had completely forgotten about it, and was really down in the dumps when this check showed up in the mail. It made no difference that it was my money, it really picked me up!

Back
Top Bottom