Novel experiences

hoosier

Confused about dryer sheets
I'm looking for novel experiences that have significance. I'm in my 30s if that helps. For example, life events like marriage, having children, new job, retirement. Or experiences that really get you out of your comfort zone like rollercoasters, travel in a different country with a different language, onsen / bath house being nude in front of strangers, or even swing. All these really push the envelope for someone who hasn't done them and even those that have. I tried researching this but find only dull responses like do yoga or go to a new restaurant. Not exactly significant or comfort zone pushing. Thanks in advance.

Go to Asia or Japan. A week in Taiwan alone will give you "a whole new way of looking at the day".

1 - Hire / do Geneaology and discover roots / relatives

2 - Give away 10% to a charity that you research

3 - Find / develop a new skill - and do a home DIY project

4 - Learn a new language and visit a country with that native language

5 - Go to the the top professional / college team stadiums in your area of several sports

6 - volunteer for habitat for humanity or equivalent

7 - take a class and learn a new skill for old style art/creativity - like welding, pottery or similar

8 - go on a church mission trip

9 - attend a significant trial in courtroom

One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble
Not much between despair and ecstasy
One night in Bangkok and the tough guys tumble
Can't be too careful with your company
I can feel the devil walking next to me

A verse in One Night in Bangkok by Murray Head.

At dusk, just ask a Tuktuk to go to Patpong. It doesn't exist during the day.

A 3 month bicycle trip across the USA in my early 20's before getting my first real j*b. We carried everything for camping and cooking, no sag-wagon involved.

I'm looking for novel experiences that have significance. I'm in my 30s if that helps. For example, life events like marriage, having children, new job, retirement. Or experiences that really get you out of your comfort zone like rollercoasters, travel in a different country with a different language, onsen / bath house being nude in front of strangers, or even swing. All these really push the envelope for someone who hasn't done them and even those that have. I tried researching this but find only dull responses like do yoga or go to a new restaurant. Not exactly significant or comfort zone pushing. Thanks in advance.
That shows how subjective this is, both for "novel" and "significance", as everything you mentioned is within my comfort zone, I wouldn't consider any of it pushing the envelope. I do note that most of them cost money, some a significant amount, like international travel. I find it fascinating to wander at random in cities, especially in other countries, and walk into places that aren't necessarily tourist-friendly. Even going to the equivalent of a newsstand or convenience store and seeing what they sell, trying some of the snacks and drinks, and seeing how it's different than what I'm used to, satisfies some deep curiosity of mine. And I find that if you know at least some basic phrases (please, thank you, do you speak English, I'm sorry, I don't speak [language]), a huge majority of strangers will be eager to help.

What about hobbies like woodworking or photography, ones that require skill, creativity, and practice?

Last edited:
1. A thru-hike is great for self-discovery. Appalachian Trail, Continental Divide, Pacific Crest are the classics, but for me it was the Camino de Santiago in Spain - much shorter, only about 500 miles.
2. Climb one of the Seven Summits. Kilimanjaro or Elbrus are easier ones, but not easy. I paired up Kilimanjaro with a week-long safari to Tarangire, Ngorongoro, and Serengeti. Very inspiring.
3. Parachute. Do it at least once. You won't regret it.

A "cookbook" way might be to go on a prescribed adventure. What I mean by that is an adventure that's sure to have a lot of unknowns, but the creative work of coming up with the viable ideas had been done. Drive a tuk-tuk through the mountains of South America? Drive a 1 liter engine car from the UK to Mongolia? Horses, Boats, even personal aircraft have been used by "The Adventurists". There are other outfits, but that one I know.

Are you looking for ideas for yourself? What are you interested in? Do you want something you can do on weekends or outside of work or longer term away from home?

Things myself or family members have done:
-Take an immersion language program, go live with a family in the country you are studying
-Travel the US by bus for several months
-Volunteer for Boy/Girls Big Brother/Sister program
-Take classes in Art/Wood working and get creative

Start your own business.

Take a 50 mile hike in the woods.

I'm looking for novel experiences that have significance.

There are over 7 billion people in the world, and I would not be too surprised if each of those 7 billion had a different idea of what experiences would be novel and have significance for them.

For example, the first thing that comes to my mind is heading for the biggest, best library in your area, selecting a well known book on something you know absolutely nothing about, and reading it from start to finish.

Or, if you have never done it before, compose some original music about the best time you have ever had in your life thus far.

Maybe buy a large canvas and plenty of oil paints and brushes, go to the beach, and paint what you see or imagine.

Take a math class that interests you and figure out how to apply what you learned, within your particular life.

The easiest way for many people to get out of their comfort zone, is public speaking in front of large audiences of strangers.

The world is full of so much! You don't have to BTD to travel someplace that sounds ever-so-cool, in order to have a novel experience that has significance for you. You probably DO have to take the initiative to find these experiences on your own, without someone leading you by the hand, though. Finding the experience by yourself is part of the experience.

Some novel experiences I've had ...

Spent 6 weeks exploring Europe with a Eurailpass with my brother, in 1979
Hiked the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu
Bungy-jumped off a bridge in New Zealand
Dived (dove??) the Great Barrier Reef (33 yrs ago, before climate issues)
Canoed on the Amazon
Wandered and explored the neighborhoods around my hotel in Tokyo
Cracked 5 ribs when I flipped my bike in Bordeaux (0/5, would not recommend)

1. Find the largest, most remote wilderness area you can. Hike to the middle of it and stay there for a couple nights. Stay up late and look at the Milky Way.

2. Climb up a mountain, sufficiently high to get above the tree line, and watch the sunset in silence. I am partial to the White Mountains of New Hampshire.

3. Take a cruise on the Southern Ocean and watch the phosphorescent wake of your ship at night caused by the stirred up plankton.

4. Go through the Strait of Magellan and the Panama Canal by boat. Contemplate the wonderful creations of nature and of humankind as you do.

5. Go to a foreign country where you don't really know the language. Hop on a bus going anywhere. Get off where something looks interesting. Then find your way back.

6. Pick a battle from some armed conflict. Research and learn all about it. Then, go to that battlefield on a quiet day, sit down and think about what happened there to ordinary people and about the folly and futility of war. Antietam would be a good choice.

7. Spend at least 45 minutes intently looking at some famously awesome work of art in a museum. I recommend Michelangelo's "David" in Florence.

8. Find a place of religious pilgrimage, such as the Basilica of St Francis of Assisi, watch the continuous line of pilgrims coming to his crypt, a line that has not stopped in nearly 800 years. Contemplate the nature of religious devotion in general and of your own religious beliefs.

9. Do something that risks embarrassing yourself in front of an audience, like singing, acting, dancing or even just speaking or lecturing. Prepare for it well and feel great when it is over.

10. Master, practice and take pride in an obscure skill that few other people can do well. For me, that was as simple as learning to shave every day with a straight razor.

11. Someone mentioned genealogy. Trace your ancestry back as far as you can. If you are not descended from nobility and your ancestors came from a country with relatively good records, such as England, that will be to the mid-1500s (so a little less than 500 years) or about 15-16 generations. After you have done that, go to the Pantheon in Rome and see that it was built almost 2000 years ago, in about 126 AD or 60 generations ago. Then go to Egypt and look at the Great Pyramid of Giza, which was already over 2500 years old when the Pantheon was built. So, built by humans about 135 generations past. And finally, go look at the Lascaux cave paintings, which were put there about 17,000 years ago, or about 600 generations of humans past. This should give you a better appreciation of time -- from just how long the human story spans to how very, very short is our individual part of that story. It should inspire you to live and do and see and experience as much as you can while you can.

Last edited:
Honestly, I've pretty much stopped "seeking" novel experiences - especially those that might not end well. I've lived long enough to find that just "living" offers quite a few novel experiences - especially those you don't expect and likely don't want.

I've told here my three frightening aircraft stories (small plane, balloon, and commercial flight.) I have to take the "blame" for two of them as they were "adventures."

Have you experienced the 3rd world yet? Experienced a squat toilet with a community bucket of water instead of TP. Cooked food over a dung fire in a thatch hut? Eaten with your fingers what was placed before you in a 3rd world village? Carried water from a community well - 5 miles from the point of consumption?

Have you gone to the Indy 500 yet?:LOL::cool:

6. Pick a battle from some armed conflict. Research and learn all about it. Then, go to that battlefield on a quiet day, sit down and think about what happened there to ordinary people and about the folly and futility of war. Antietam would be a good choice.

8. Find a place of religious pilgrimage, such as the Basilica of St Francis of Assisi, watch the continuous line of pilgrims coming to his crypt, a line that has not stopped in nearly 800 years. Contemplate the nature of religious devotion in general and of your own religious beliefs.
A few years ago we went to Rome and visited the Vatican. We attended the Angelus prayer on a Sunday when the pope addresses a crowd in St. Peter's Square. Now, I'm not very religious, much less Catholic, but I really had a moment when the pope started recognizing "special pilgrims" who had come from far away. I don't speak Italian but I can pretty much understand Spanish and I know the Italian word for pilgrim is pelligrino so I could follow along on that part. As he would recognize each group of novice nuns from Peru or Paraguay, and they would hold up signs and otherwise revel in it I was moved to tears realizing that I was witnessing what was likely one of the most important moments in the lives of these people! Then my partner, who is Catholic but not practicing, got to attend a short mass and take communion in St. Peter's Basilica with pilgrims from all over the world. That is an experience she will never forget.

Similarly, visiting places of profound human emotion is something I have come to seek out. I plan to visit Saigon on the 50th anniversary of the fall of Saigon next year for various reasons but a large part is just to be in the place where so much human emotion was on display. This year we will probably go to Saipan and Tinian and see the banzai cliffs where thousands of Japanese civilians jumped to their deaths ahead of the advancing American forces and also the place where the atomic bombs were loaded and took off from. I don't expect to be joyful at those places but I know I will contemplate.

The Anne Frank house had a similar effect on me. I don't think I could visit a concentration camp though and I am still deciding if I can handle visiting Hiroshima.

OP, I think you should do whatever novel experiences that will have meaning to you now, at your age. Because I don't know if everyone is like me but what had meaning and impact on me in my 30s was a lot different than the things that touch me in my late 50s.

The Anne Frank house had a similar effect on me. I don't think I could visit a concentration camp though and I am still deciding if I can handle visiting Hiroshima.

Visiting the Arizona Memorial still touches me - especially in the hall naming all the men who lost their lives That is very emotional.

Oddly, I'd kinda like to visit the Trinity site - where the first atomic weapon was tested. I understand they open the site a couple of times/year. Radiation levels are still elevated, but not excessively. Talk about history and novel experiences!

Visiting the Arizona Memorial still touches me - especially in the hall naming all the men who lost their lives That is very emotional.

Oddly, I'd kinda like to visit the Trinity site - where the first atomic weapon was tested. I understand they open the site a couple of times/year. Radiation levels are still elevated, but not excessively. Talk about history and novel experiences!

I went to and worked at the University of Arizona much of my life since high school until about 10 years ago. The U of A has the ship's china on display and they also have the ship's bell in the student union clock tower. It is rung after every football victory except against other Arizona college teams. It is also rung on other occasions.

A bucket list item I should just knock off since it is easy is seeing the USS Missouri where the Japanese surrender was signed. It is in Honolulu so just a short flight away for me.

If you like airplanes:

Take flying lessons and solo.

Take it even farther and get your private license or keep going and get the instrument, multiengine, and commercial ratings. Bring your checkbook for those. I ran out of money at the private license.

Take acrobatic lessons in an airplane that is stressed for it (not all small airplanes are). It's really kind of neat to be in a spin and seeing the windshield filled with dirt. That really gets one focused. Or go ballistic (weightless) and fly the airplane around the falling pencil in the cabin.

Lots of great suggestions here. I have been fortunate to experience many of them. Of all the things listed here, joining another culture which happens in the Peace Corps was probably the most novel and life changing.

The second one, which was also referred to in previous posts, which might fit a time frame better is to travel in any developing country in a manor of a local. Take buses, local taxis, etc. (You can also make it a bike trip). Experience the local markets, food (carefully), and such. Stay in backpackers where you can meet others. If language is a problem, select an English speaking country or one where English is often used.

If you do go, report back. I would love to learn what you selected and how it went.

I've done some of the things suggested. One of the things that I wished I had done in my 30's would be ride a motorcycle from Alaska to Argentina.

Back
Top Bottom