% of "allowed"

I completely agree with you. Many, many folks on this site either do not understand that, or theorize that if they stick with what FIRECalc indicates would be 100% success (based on past results), even if things do not go according to plan, they will not end out too badly.

I am a pessimist by nature when it comes to models like FIRECalc. However, it gives many folks the warm fuzzies - if it works for them, wonderful.

I do understand that it is purely past performance. When I say "projection," I mean on the Investigate page under proposed spending at 100%. I thank you all for your thoughts. I won't take any of them as gospel, just my interest in what a largely (apparently) prudent group of people are thinking.

We pretty much spend what we want.... our annual spending is ~70% of what we could spend at a 100% success rate... IOW, I probably worked longer than I needed to. :(

Been retired just over a year. For 2018 we spent about 85% of 100% firecalc safe amount.

Can't go wrong with Veuve Clicquot

Unless we have an expensive emergency before year-end, I project we will spend 50% of FIRE maximum spending this year. (And that included splitting a bottle of Veuve Clicquot for a birthday this month.)
ffbbdfd7-5f8c-4e68-88b6-38e60036d2b0.jpg

We have seen your yearly spending W2R and you might just be an LBYMer for life. :greetings10::LOL:
:ROFLMAO: I think you are right! Possibly the stereotypes about those of us with Scottish ancestry are true. :D

Despite some efforts I still haven't managed to ramp up my lifestyle very much, but I guess as long as I'm happy then that's what counts.

Despite some efforts I still haven't managed to ramp up my lifestyle very much, but I guess as long as I'm happy then that's what counts.
^^^ This ^^^

One of the best parts of FIRE is non-accountability to third party standards.

Reactions: W2R
:ROFLMAO: I think you are right! Possibly the stereotypes about those of us with Scottish ancestry are true. :D

I have a hard time explaining this to a close friend who knows we have access to more money but not how much. I'm happy and satisfied with my frugal but comfortable to me lifestyle. If I was to spend only from what we have saved at about 40% more than we presently spend then Firecalc says that in the end on an average we would have about twice as much as we have at present. The only thing is we are presently only using SS and small pensions and not even touching the savings. It is hard to change old habits. So we gift the maximum each year to my wife's two grown children. Next are big donations to no-kill animal shelter/rescues. All those years as a couple of teachers I was concerned that I would not have saved enough and I didn't want my wife to spend her remaining years eating cat food. Now I can cook lobster for her every night if she wants. :D Oh yes, Scottish heritage here too (I like oatmeal, haggis, and a good stout).

Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: W2R
I have never even run Firecalc. Yet I have been retired for 30 years or so, and I am not trending down in income or assets, and I re-invest most of what my portfolio throws off. I am proud of this.

It is also true that I would spend more if I were married, but only to avoid issues. Most of what people spend money on I would rather not.

I spend more on food at home than the average that I see posted here-I average about $500/mo food at home.

Ha

I have a hard time explaining this to a close friend who knows we have access to more money but not how much. I'm happy and satisfied with my frugal but comfortable to me lifestyle. If I was to spend only from what we have saved at about 40% more than we presently spend then Firecalc says that in the end on an average we would have about twice as much as we have at present. The only thing is we are presently only using SS and small pensions and not even touching the savings. It is hard to change old habits.
It's a balancing act, with no guaranteed correct answer.

Like you, I feel comfortable continuing to LBYM in retirement: the added buffer provides peace of mind. At the same time, life and health are both finite and 'you can't take it with you', so at some point I may ramp up spending and/or giving.

Back
Top Bottom